[GUIDE] Don't Panic: The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy Nexus

rebretz000

Jul 20, 2011
Visit site
Re: [GUIDE] Don't Panic: The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy Nex

First, thank you--I appreciate it.

For your kernel, it depends on your usage. How do you use your phone? What's the average amount of time you go off charger?

For those two apps, I have no idea how to get them back. I've never used them, so hopefully someone sees this and can help with that issue.

I use my phone for twitter alot, average 50 emails a day. Web broswing alot. You tube. Netflix. Pandora. Slacker. plus my own music. Usually only off a charger for about 6 hours or so but most off the time I'm down to 70% after 2 hours even when not using my phone much. Usually when I leave the office I drop down to 3G to try and save battery.

dmmarck

Retired Moderator
Dec 28, 2011
Visit site

I use my phone for twitter alot, average 50 emails a day. Web broswing alot. You tube. Netflix. Pandora. Slacker. plus my own music. Usually only off a charger for about 6 hours or so but most off the time I'm down to 70% after 2 hours even when not using my phone much. Usually when I leave the office I drop down to 3G to try and save battery.

Have you flashed a rom and kernel yet? If so, what?

rebretz000

Jul 20, 2011
Visit site

Have you flashed a rom and kernel yet? If so, what?

I had Redemption ROM and what ever kernel came with that and also Liquidsmooth and the kernel it came with. I really liked the look and feel of Liquidsmooth, but I reverted back to stock 4.0.4 from Liquid since I couldn't use NFL Mobile and left Redemption ROM cause I was having issues but that was probably my fault.

I'm just using stock VZ 4.0.4 today. I was waiting for the newer version of Redemption ROM that is in the works since it uses CDMA 4.0.4 instead of GSM.

dmmarck

Retired Moderator
Dec 28, 2011
Visit site

I had Redemption ROM and what ever kernel came with that and also Liquidsmooth and the kernel it came with. I really liked the look and feel of Liquidsmooth, but I reverted back to stock 4.0.4 from Liquid since I couldn't use NFL Mobile and left Redemption ROM cause I was having issues but that was probably my fault.

I'm just using stock VZ 4.0.4 today. I was waiting for the newer version of Redemption ROM that is in the works since it uses CDMA 4.0.4 instead of GSM.

It doesn't hurt to keep trying different roms/kernels to find the combination that suits you. Kernels are like the brain of your device; they control the CPU, voltages, etc. I prefer a kernel called franco kernel, which is largely available via a paid app in the Play Store.

Each person's usage is different, so I recommend trying a few different things in order to find your sweet spot. Major kernels include franco, imoseyen's LeanKernel (also available the previously mentioned franco Updater app), Glados, faux kernel, and trinity.

rebretz000

Jul 20, 2011
Visit site

It doesn't hurt to keep trying different roms/kernels to find the combination that suits you. Kernels are like the brain of your device; they control the CPU, voltages, etc. I prefer a kernel called franco kernel, which is largely available via a paid app in the Play Store.

Each person's usage is different, so I recommend trying a few different things in order to find your sweet spot. Major kernels include franco, imoseyen's LeanKernel (also available the previously mentioned franco Updater app), Glados, faux kernel, and trinity.

Thank you again.

Vance14

Aug 17, 2010
Visit site

I used a different toolkit than Wug's when I first rooted (from XDA) and that worked fine, so now that I have the OTA and need to root again, I figured I would use the same software. But when I went to run it and it asks for my current build, it doesn't have the new 4.0.4 build to choose from, so I figured I would just use Wug's this time since he updated faster! :0)

My question is this: do I need to download the drivers again or are the drivers I downloaded before still the right ones. If I download them again from Wug's will there be any conflicts or duplication?

dmmarck

Retired Moderator
Dec 28, 2011
Visit site

I used a different toolkit than Wug's when I first rooted (from XDA) and that worked fine, so now that I have the OTA and need to root again, I figured I would use the same software. But when I went to run it and it asks for my current build, it doesn't have the new 4.0.4 build to choose from, so I figured I would just use Wug's this time since he updated faster! :0)

My question is this: do I need to download the drivers again or are the drivers I downloaded before still the right ones. If I download them again from Wug's will there be any conflicts or duplication?

I presume you'll be fine. When you start using Wug's you'll know pretty quickly b/c the device won't show up in either the ADB or fastboot checks.

Vance14

Aug 17, 2010
Visit site

Thanks, but now another problem since Wug's won't download completely. I have tried the main and a mirror and it only downloads 6 mb, then acts like it is finished, but won't install.

The other toolkit has Verizon IMM30b and then has CDMA/LTE for Sprint at IMM76d, so I really can't use either, correct?

dmmarck

Retired Moderator
Dec 28, 2011
Visit site

Thanks, but now another problem since Wug's won't download completely. I have tried the main and a mirror and it only downloads 6 mb, then acts like it is finished, but won't install.

Nothing I can help you with I'm afraid ;). Try again later? Email Wugs?

Vance14

Aug 17, 2010
Visit site

Yes, I think I will just try again after lunch.

2defmouze

Jul 9, 2011
Visit site

Unless I'm misreading the problem.. he just wants to root 4.0.4, is already unlocked, right? Why not just flash the 4.0.4 updated su.zip? https://dl.dropbox.com/u/47300967/su404.zip

Boot into bootloader, boot CWR, flash the zip, reboot. You'll be rooted, can get rid of or rename the /system/recovery-from-boot.p file, then permanently flash recovery.

I miss something? lol :)

dmmarck

Retired Moderator
Dec 28, 2011
Visit site

Unless I'm misreading the problem.. he just wants to root 4.0.4, is already unlocked, right? Why not just flash the 4.0.4 updated su.zip? https://dl.dropbox.com/u/47300967/su404.zip

Boot into bootloader, boot CWR, flash the zip, reboot. You'll be rooted, can get rid of or rename the /system/recovery-from-boot.p file, then permanently flash recovery.

I miss something? lol :)

That's also true. I presume that if he took the OTA, he has a stock recovery, and as such would need CWM. So he'll need to use Wug's or fastboot to flash it over.

If he has CWM though, then all he should need to do is flash the new SU.

Vance14

Aug 17, 2010
Visit site

Yes, I can't flash CMR, presumably because I don't have SU, so it is a chicken/egg thing. So, which is faster, just walking through the rooting steps on Wug's, or using Wug's to flash CMR and then flashing the updated SU file? (assuming I can get Wug's to download).

dmmarck

Retired Moderator
Dec 28, 2011
Visit site

Yes, I can't flash CMR, presumably because I don't have SU, so it is a chicken/egg thing. So, which is faster, just walking through the rooting steps on Wug's, or using Wug's to flash CMR and then flashing the updated SU file? (assuming I can get Wug's to download).

All you would need to do for the latter is flash (via fastboot) the CWM image, reboot into recovery via the bootloader, and then flash SU. And you don't risk anything going haywire with Wug's in the rooting process.

Reactions: 2defmouze

2defmouze

Jul 9, 2011
Visit site

As DMM said, all you need to flash CWR is to be unlocked. Fastboot flash it or have wugs do it for you. Once in CWR flash the su404 zip i linked above. Then you'll be rooted and can delete the recovery-from-boot file and have CWR flashed permanently.

Vance14

Aug 17, 2010
Visit site

Great, where can I get the clockwork mod image?

Vance14

Aug 17, 2010
Visit site

Ha, I am so lazy! I finally got Wug's to download and I ran it, and there was that "root" button just staring at me, so I just pressed it, took just a couple of minutes. :0) Checked everything and it seems fine, running a Titanium backup now.

dmmarck

Retired Moderator
Dec 28, 2011
Visit site

Ha, I am so lazy! I finally got Wug's to download and I ran it, and there was that "root" button just staring at me, so I just pressed it, took just a couple of minutes. :0) Checked everything and it seems fine, running a Titanium backup now.

Make sure (1) it didn't wipe anything (just in case ;)), and (2) it actually rooted. Which, if you're using TiBu, it sure seems like it did.

Vance14

Aug 17, 2010
Visit site

Yes, Wug's gives you a way to check root by going into superuser and checking on the update.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jan