[GUIDE] Don't Panic: The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy Nexus

reeper55

May 12, 2010
Visit site
Yeah I skimmed it but paid close attention to where you scare away noobs like me! LOL
I am feeling a tad intimidated

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

dmmarck

Retired Moderator
Dec 28, 2011
Visit site
Re: [GUIDE] Don't Panic: The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy Nex

Yeah I skimmed it but paid close attention to where you scare away noobs like me! LOL
I am feeling a tad intimidated

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

Just gotta be careful, really careful. That's all :).

DC Damien

Mar 13, 2011
Visit site

Can you root and flash to a GN using WiFi only? I want to start learning how to do this. I don't want to buy a new/replacement phone. Verizon is still charging $625!! So I thought I might pick up a cheap GN on ebay with a bad ESN. I have fast internet/wifi at home so I'd use this as a learning device. If I screw it up... not much lost. And hopefully this works and can jump on new Nexus next year. Thanks.

dmmarck

Retired Moderator
Dec 28, 2011
Visit site
Honestly, I have no idea. I presume you would not have a SIM card? I mean in theory, sure, but I have no idea how big if a roadblock that would be.

Sent from Oliver, my Nuclear-Powered, Orb-Shaped Candy Device.

Reactions: DC Damien

zero neck

The Ever-Living
Jan 13, 2011
Visit site

you defintely could use a de-activated phone as a wifi only decive before sims, havent done so now that we have lte sim cards so i'm also not sure. i would guess that you can, it might bug you to activate tho every time you turn it on.

Reactions: DC Damien

zkSharks

Retired Moderator
Mar 15, 2011
Visit site

You can most definitely do this. You'll want to prevent the battery drain, connection attempts, and failed authorizations that come with not having an LTE SIM. Simply turn off LTE (it's under the mobile network type; you want "CDMA Only"). This setting should persist through a power cycle, meaning you don't have to reset it each time the device boots up. Now, taking this one step further to a WiFi only device wouldn't be hard. Simply turn off mobile data networks, or, if available, a "None" option under the 'mobile network type' setting.

Just a side note for those using custom ROMs: this is the reason that the LTE toggles in the notifications bar will usually not reset when the phone boots (at least they haven't in my experience). They change the mobile network type, which is a persistent system setting.

Edit: there is also a way to prevent the automatic activation service from getting in your way, but I'll have to look around a bit to find it.

CA1NE

Jun 28, 2012
Visit site
Is there a way to mess with the kernel that comes with the Rom you've flashed? I'm guessing set cpu or something like that? Or the Franco app if your running a Franco kernel? Or I guess that's why there's a variety of kernels to choose from?

Sent From My Brain To Yours

dmmarck

Retired Moderator
Dec 28, 2011
Visit site

Some roms will have performance controls, that'll let you do just that.

zero neck

The Ever-Living
Jan 13, 2011
Visit site

I haven't used setcpu since francos app. Also, jb flies at stock values anyway, on my device at least.:)

dmmarck

Retired Moderator
Dec 28, 2011
Visit site

I added clean & dirty wiping to one of the posts, FYI :).

Reactions: CA1NE

drb1089

Sep 17, 2012
Visit site
hi im new to the forums and was wondering if anyone can help me i used the nexus root tool to root my nexus then went into the recovery mode and accidently wiped internal storage and my phone was stuck in recovery i couldnt do anything because it said there was no os on the phone and it eventually died i just got home and tried to turn it on but its just stuck on the google boot screen does anyone know what i need to do to fix it? thanks for the help

dmmarck

Retired Moderator
Dec 28, 2011
Visit site
hi im new to the forums and was wondering if anyone can help me i used the nexus root tool to root my nexus then went into the recovery mode and accidently wiped internal storage and my phone was stuck in recovery i couldnt do anything because it said there was no os on the phone and it eventually died i just got home and tried to turn it on but its just stuck on the google boot screen does anyone know what i need to do to fix it? thanks for the help

Use your toolkit and take it back to stock. That'll fix it :).

drb1089

Sep 17, 2012
Visit site
i tried that but after it downloads it said i need to enable usb debugging and my phone stays in bootloader...thank you for your help btw

ok so it goes through the download everything passes until it gets to flashing stock a message pops up saying fastboot device was not found

Last edited:

dmmarck

Retired Moderator
Dec 28, 2011
Visit site
i tried that but after it downloads it said i need to enable usb debugging and my phone stays in bootloader...thank you for your help btw

ok so it goes through the download everything passes until it gets to flashing stock a message pops up saying fastboot device was not found

Do the fastboot drivers manually. That's all you really need to take it back to stock. But anyway, install the fastboot drivers manually with the toolkit then follow my guide for returning it to stock. It'll work :).

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smokedog87