Notification Bar and Soft Key Buttons Disappeared! Please help!!

May 1, 2012
Visit site
So I was trying to mod my soft keys in metamorph but I didn't realize that my stock ROM was incompatible with the change I was trying to do. It applied the changes and said System UI has stopped. It rebooted and the soft keys and notification bar are now missing. I tried restoring to my back up and still nothing. Please help me with what to do now :(

2defmouze

Jul 9, 2011
Visit site
Restoring your Nandroid backup did not help?

Issue was probably because you are on stock.. Unless you meant a customized stock rom that is properly deodexed?

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

May 1, 2012
Visit site
Re: Notification Bar and Soft Key Buttons Disappeared! Please hel

Restoring your Nandroid backup did not help?

Issue was probably because you are on stock.. Unless you meant a customized stock rom that is properly deodexed?

Yes I tried to restore twice and still nothing. It probably was, I didn't know about deodexing back then. Any other ideas? Thanks.

2defmouze

Jul 9, 2011
Visit site
Yes I tried to restore twice and still nothing. It probably was, I didn't know about deodexing back then. Any other ideas? Thanks.

It's weird that your backup isn't fixing it. All I could suggest is wiping and re-flashing your rom at that point. Sorry mate!

2defmouze

Jul 9, 2011
Visit site
Also going forward... Make sure to not only make a backup right before trying to mod anything, but for safety's sake pull a copy of your systemUI.apk or whatever else you are modding to your computer so you can just replace it if things go wrong.

davey11

Dec 17, 2010
Visit site

So I was trying to mod my soft keys in metamorph but I didn't realize that my stock ROM was incompatible with the change I was trying to do. It applied the changes and said System UI has stopped. It rebooted and the soft keys and notification bar are now missing. I tried restoring to my back up and still nothing. Please help me with what to do now :(

I have had this happen numerous times with metamorph. The app is just plain wonky. All metamorph files are compatible with zipthemer which is a MUCH more reliable way to install mods. It's strange your nandroid is still missing your bar.

Best option is to wipe everything and reinstall the rom. Like 2def said, you gotta be deodexed which stock roms are not. Install a custom rom like aokp or liquid.

Reactions: 2defmouze

Hovik818

Sep 30, 2010
Visit site

This has happened to me once. I honestly didn't know how to fix it, so I started to swipe/click where the soft keys would be rapidly and it seemed to fix it for me. Try that (better then nothing I presume?)

May 1, 2012
Visit site

It's weird that your backup isn't fixing it. All I could suggest is wiping and re-flashing your rom at that point. Sorry mate!

It still doesn't work :( somehow the only back up I have is one that was made after the notification bar disappeared..any other options now?

May 1, 2012
Visit site

This has happened to me once. I honestly didn't know how to fix it, so I started to swipe/click where the soft keys would be rapidly and it seemed to fix it for me. Try that (better then nothing I presume?)

This doesn't work either. Thanks though.

2defmouze

Jul 9, 2011
Visit site

It still doesn't work :( somehow the only back up I have is one that was made after the notification bar disappeared..any other options now?

Nah, just wipe and flash your ROM again. Hopefully any app data you had you backed up recently... Like I said just going forward make sure to make a backup BEFORE experimenting.

EDIT: Actually since you can boot you could probably technically get into your backup app and back up all your stuff, etc, before wiping.

The other thing going forward, make sure you are on a deodexed ROM before trying to alter the system (stock ROMs are odexed, but anything custom should be deodexed already).

EDIT 2: Like davey said, zipthemer is a more reliable tool for doing that stuff as well, IMO.

May 1, 2012
Visit site

Nah, just wipe and flash your ROM again. Hopefully any app data you had you backed up recently... Like I said just going forward make sure to make a backup BEFORE experimenting.

EDIT: Actually since you can boot you could probably technically get into your backup app and back up all your stuff, etc, before wiping.

The other thing going forward, make sure you are on a deodexed ROM before trying to alter the system (stock ROMs are odexed, but anything custom should be deodexed already).

EDIT 2: Like davey said, zipthemer is a more reliable tool for doing that stuff as well, IMO.

Alright so I flashed to Android Revolution HD and everything went smoothly. But now my phone won't connect to my mobile network :( please help...I'm starting to think this rooting thing was a bad idea.

2defmouze

Jul 9, 2011
Visit site
Alright so I flashed to Android Revolution HD and everything went smoothly. But now my phone won't connect to my mobile network :( please help...I'm starting to think this rooting thing was a bad idea.

Your just panicking lol... Reboot. Give the phone a minute. After you flash a ROM or anything always give the phone a minute or 2 after you reboot to settle. If you haven't touched the radios there's no reason to worry... I'm sure it'll connect.

May 1, 2012
Visit site

Your just panicking lol... Reboot. Give the phone a minute. After you flash a ROM or anything always give the phone a minute or 2 after you reboot to settle. If you haven't touched the radios there's no reason to worry... I'm sure it'll connect.

Sorry haha. How long does it usually take?

2defmouze

Jul 9, 2011
Visit site

Well it shouldn't take more than a minute. Did you do a full wipe data/factory reset from recovery before flashing the ROM? Did you flash gapps as well right after? I'm not sure if you need to with Android Revolution but hopefully you checked.

In any case... Don't ever panic.. Lol. We can fix you right up with this phone in short time.

2defmouze

Jul 9, 2011
Visit site
But I gotta call it a night. Hope you can get it sorted or someone else can jump in here. If not I'll be back bright and early tomorrow. I'd also recommend another rom... Something more well known such as aokp. Make sure you flash the gapps with it, too. Will check on ya in the morning lol :)

davey11

Dec 17, 2010
Visit site

Check if your data is enabled in settings/more/mobile networks. I had my phone not connect one time and I couldn't figure it out till I check in there. For some reason the setting was unchecked.

May 1, 2012
Visit site

Well it shouldn't take more than a minute. Did you do a full wipe data/factory reset from recovery before flashing the ROM? Did you flash gapps as well right after? I'm not sure if you need to with Android Revolution but hopefully you checked.

In any case... Don't ever panic.. Lol. We can fix you right up with this phone in short time.

Well it's been over a minute. I used Super Wipe before flashing, should I have done a full wipe as well? What are gapps? Okay well thanks I appreciate the help greatly.

May 1, 2012
Visit site

Check if your data is enabled in settings/more/mobile networks. I had my phone not connect one time and I couldn't figure it out till I check in there. For some reason the setting was unchecked.

Yes it is enabled and still nothing.

davey11

Dec 17, 2010
Visit site

Yes it is enabled and still nothing.

Dunno what is going on. 2def has certainly gone over most everything. Your wifi is OK though?

Still no go with mobile? Try toggling airplane mode on and off couple times. Try a reboot if nothing works.

May 1, 2012
Visit site

Dunno what is going on. 2def has certainly gone over most everything. Your wifi is OK though?

Still no go with mobile? Try toggling airplane mode on and off couple times. Try a reboot if nothing works.

Okay I just flashed AOKP and it went fine but now I keep getting the message: unfortunately, process android.process.acore has stopped after restoring several things in Titanium backup. Any ideas?

Last edited: