Franco's Kernel APP

oxymoron

It's been real...
Sep 5, 2011
Visit site
So you guys think franco is worth it on AOKP? I am on the fence about getting it...

Just flash the kernel first without buying the app, and if you like it then get the app. The app works with many other kernels too, so even if at some point you decide to use a different one it's all good.

Here's a link for the latest nightly r154. Just do it. You can always flash back to faux's kernel if you like ( or anything for that matter).
http://minooch.com/franciscofranco/Galaxy Nexus/nightlies/franco.Kernel-r154.zip

*customized tapatalk signature*

Reactions: tony bag o donuts

2defmouze

Jul 9, 2011
Visit site
I just keep seeing posts where they claim it hurts battery life, doesn't do much, better off with kernel that comes with the rom, etc.

Lol that's all BS. It's plenty worth it if you enjoy his kernels at all.. Which I believe are the best out there now. As was suggested try his kernel and if you like it at all def get the app its solid.
:)

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

PsYcHoNeWb

Feb 17, 2011
Visit site
Lol that's all BS. It's plenty worth it if you enjoy his kernels at all.. Which I believe are the best out there now. As was suggested try his kernel and if you like it at all def get the app its solid.
:)

This is exactly what I did. I was going back and forth between LeanKernel and franco.Kernel but right now I am running franco milestone 3 and I can't say anything bad about it. Bought the app to go along with it and running great!

Reactions: oxymoron

youngzayiles

Dec 17, 2009
Visit site
Yeah I like the kernal.. So nice to see when im not using the phone my battery doesnt drain like crazy.. 720am to 10:00 am I only seen a 9% drain with 4g radios on wifi on but just searching cuz i forgot to turn it off as I left the house and gps on... Thats amazing.. I havent messed with the undervolting yet and that probably makes it even better.. I cant imagine it getting better lol.. Stock battery life sucked donkey balls!!!

digitalslacker

Jul 6, 2010
Visit site
putting everything else about the kernel and the app aside. I think the audio hacks and color controls, specifically the OMAP4 Gamma make the kernel and the app more than worth it.

Battery life is battery life. The screen is still going to be the biggest user of battery for most people. A well developed kernel will probably only ever offer only marginal battery gain above stock. At least that's been my experience. I've always gotten pretty good overall battery life with Franco's kernel even if it can vary from build to build.

Frano's kernel is by far the best I've used on any device. It's updated regularly, he's responsive to feedback and he does quality work. Those reasons alone make purchasing the app more than an easy choice.

Sent from my Transformer Prime TF201 using Tapatalk 2

Reactions: oxymoron

JkdJedi

Aug 20, 2010
Visit site
New guy here, I tried flashing Franco from the updater app and now I'm stuck on the boot screen "Google" am I totally screwed?
I had just rooted the phone and I'm trying to flash Franco on the stock build. Thanks.

Sent from my DX using Tapatalk 2

2defmouze

Jul 9, 2011
Visit site
New guy here, I tried flashing Franco from the updater app and now I'm stuck on the boot screen "Google" am I totally screwed?
I had just rooted the phone and I'm trying to flash Franco on the stock build. Thanks.

Sent from my DX using Tapatalk 2

Well... Problem is his kernels are made for 4.0.3 or higher, lol its good to check that stuff... so if you're on stock 4.0.2 then that's your problem. If you made a backup in recovery you can just restore that, backups include whatever kernel you are running.

To get to recovery pull battery, replace, hold both volumes and power to bootloader, vol down to recovery, power to select recovery.

If you don't have a backup you'll have to either fastboot a compatible kernel or fastboot restore factory images... Both are easy, don't panic, just let me know what the situation is :)

JkdJedi

Aug 20, 2010
Visit site
Well... Problem is his kernels are made for 4.0.3 or higher, lol its good to check that stuff... so if you're on stock 4.0.2 then that's your problem. If you made a backup in recovery you can just restore that, backups include whatever kernel you are running.

To get to recovery pull battery, replace, hold both volumes and power to bootloader, vol down to recovery, power to select recovery.

If you don't have a backup you'll have to either fastboot a compatible kernel or fastboot restore factory images... Both are easy, don't panic, just let me know what the situation is :)

No back up.. (my DUFUS BAD) I can get into recovery, I also have the Gnextoolrootkit, shouold I use that to flash back to stock? (concerned about the debugging being off) Thanks, this "Fastboot the kernel" seems easier, googling fastboot now, thanks again.
Edit: Well I'm back, HUGE thank you. I think the biggest help was the "DON"T PANIC" :)

Last edited:
Reactions: 2defmouze

2defmouze

Jul 9, 2011
Visit site
No back up.. (my DUFUS BAD) I can get into recovery, I also have the Gnextoolrootkit, shouold I use that to flash back to stock? (concerned about the debugging being off) Thanks, this "Fastboot the kernel" seems easier, googling fastboot now, thanks again.
Edit: Well I'm back, HUGE thank you. I think the biggest help was the "DON"T PANIC" :)

Awesome! Happy you were able to figure it out... And that's the key to this phone.. Don't panic.. Lol.. You are never screwed and just about anything can be fixed :)

ajgorr

May 5, 2012
Visit site
Hey all. I've been searching for answer to the question I am going to ask, but I haven't found any reply that would satifsy me. Is it 100% safe to use the generic hotplug option? It doesn't hurt the CPU life/performance etc in any way? Thank you in advance for responses!

PsYcHoNeWb

Feb 17, 2011
Visit site
Hey all. I've been searching for answer to the question I am going to ask, but I haven't found any reply that would satifsy me. Is it 100% safe to use the generic hotplug option? It doesn't hurt the CPU life/performance etc in any way? Thank you in advance for responses!

Yea it is safe to use. All it does is turn off CPU1 (technically second core of the dual core) while the screen is off and I believe under very minimal loads and then it will activate once it is needed based on processing loads (or if when the screen comes back on). I will help battery life significantly and it wont harm your CPU. Your computer does the same thing, when it is sitting idle it will turn off 1 or 2 cores (depending if you have a dual or quad core) to conserve energy assuming you have energy saver settings. I have had it running for a while now and I haven't had an issue with performance and it wouldn't harm the CPU life cycle at all.

Edit: I honestly don't know why that hot plug doesn't come enabled by default. I have noticed a significant battery life improvement while the phone screen was off for an extended period of time.

ajgorr

May 5, 2012
Visit site
Yea it is safe to use. All it does is turn off CPU1 (technically second core of the dual core) while the screen is off and I believe under very minimal loads and then it will activate once it is needed based on processing loads (or if when the screen comes back on). I will help battery life significantly and it wont harm your CPU. Your computer does the same thing, when it is sitting idle it will turn off 1 or 2 cores (depending if you have a dual or quad core) to conserve energy assuming you have energy saver settings. I have had it running for a while now and I haven't had an issue with performance and it wouldn't harm the CPU life cycle at all.

Edit: I honestly don't know why that hot plug doesn't come enabled by default. I have noticed a significant battery life improvement while the phone screen was off for an extended period of time.

Thanks for your explanation. I was a bit concerned about it since if it improves the battery life without affecting performance, why it was not implemented in official Google kernel that came with stock android images (because it wasn't, was it?).

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2.

PsYcHoNeWb

Feb 17, 2011
Visit site
Thanks for your explanation. I was a bit concerned about it since if it improves the battery life without affecting performance, why it was not implemented in official Google kernel that came with stock android images (because it wasn't, was it?).

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2.

As far I am aware they did not. You need a different kernel (francos) in order to activate it. When hot plug was first released, I remember reading that it was very buggy but now with the many iterations of kernels since it has been much improved and very stable. I have not noticed one problem. Here is another explanation I found credit to RootzWiki (Question about Android OS and Hotplug - Galaxy Nexus - RootzWiki)

Basically if you just enable the hot plug option, it will turn off CPU1 when screen is off but reactivate it when the screen comes back on. If you set the governor to Hotplug (instead of lazy/conservative/ondemand) it will keep that CPU off until it is needed.

jmiesse134

Apr 28, 2012
Visit site
omap4... So if I just leave the settings at default (rgb at 0 and multipliers at 200) should I just only use omap 4 to adjust screen ? Or is this in addition to adjusting the other control settings?

JkdJedi

Aug 20, 2010
Visit site
WHAAAAS UP Fellows!! Gots me Franco.Kernel all set up and what about the STUPID AWESOME Franco Boot Animation!!! :D Thanks again fellows I'm just stoked right now, had to do a shout out!

2defmouze

Jul 9, 2011
Visit site
To add to above.. as creccaj said, hotplug is safe. The concept was included in kernel code by Google, just not enabled, the only reason being it can sometimes cause the phone to appear to take an extra half second to a second or so to wake up when you hit the power button.. and the last thing they want is people complaining about slow wake up times even if its helping their battery, lol.