GNex dead... replacement on the way... Wipe??

Hondo_Lane

Feb 23, 2010
Visit site
Hi folks

Woke up this morning to a dead gnex... still on the charger... went through everything as far as battery pull, sim card pull, changed out oem charger, tried a different fully charged battery. Can't get the phone to active at all... not even into boot loader or recovery.

Went through a lot of the same stuff with vz's tech support and finally they are sending me out a replacement.

But... two things I wonder about. 1st... is there any way to wipe this phone since it has my personal data in the memory? I have not been able to find a way... kind of grasping here. I do hate to return this phone with my info on it.

2nd, this phone is rooted and rom'd... its running one of DT's roms and again I hate to send the phone back like this just in case they get it turned on and find that I rooted the device. (the rom had nothing to do with this failure, I had been running it for several weeks and it was an awesome rom).

I told vz that I did not want to return the phone with the data on it and they did not have any suggestions. I even joked with them that maybe I would be better off smashing the phone then claiming on insurance... they didn't see the humor in this suggestion! lol

In the meantime I activated my trusty old og droid rocking cyanogenmod! Damn that screen seems tiny now! lol

Suggestions?

dmmarck

Retired Moderator
Dec 28, 2011
Visit site
Hi folks

Woke up this morning to a dead gnex... still on the charger... went through everything as far as battery pull, sim card pull, changed out oem charger, tried a different fully charged battery. Can't get the phone to active at all... not even into boot loader or recovery.

Went through a lot of the same stuff with vz's tech support and finally they are sending me out a replacement.

But... two things I wonder about. 1st... is there any way to wipe this phone since it has my personal data in the memory? I have not been able to find a way... kind of grasping here. I do hate to return this phone with my info on it.

2nd, this phone is rooted and rom'd... its running one of DT's roms and again I hate to send the phone back like this just in case they get it turned on and find that I rooted the device. (the rom had nothing to do with this failure, I had been running it for several weeks and it was an awesome rom).

I told vz that I did not want to return the phone with the data on it and they did not have any suggestions. I even joked with them that maybe I would be better off smashing the phone then claiming on insurance... they didn't see the humor in this suggestion! lol

In the meantime I activated my trusty old og droid rocking cyanogenmod! Damn that screen seems tiny now! lol

Suggestions?

Well if you were ever able to turn it on you could wipe it by unrooting and relocking; but if it simply won't turn on, then I wouldn't worry too badly. If you can't do it, the chances of them doing it and being able to do it without doing some sort of highly intrusive wipe is slim to none.

If you plug it in the computer, nothing comes up; no recognition, etc? So it really is...ack..."bricked"?

Reactions: Hondo_Lane

Paul627g

AC Moderator All-Star
Nov 25, 2010
Visit site
Wouldn't worry about it too much... Asurion that handles the refurbs and such will probably not even give it a second look...

1. The battery will be removed and it may find its permanent resting place in the Android graveyard (landfill)

2. It will have its guts and/or suspected culprit replaced and sent back out as a refurb phone...

3. We have seen evidence of Asurion and manufactures not looking over a device "with a fine tooth comb" many times in the past.. Broken refurbs sent out with non functioning sdcard slots, speakers, etc.... and even some cases of people receiving phones that were rooted as if they just look at it saw it had power, hit the factory reset and sent it back out as a refurb.

Reactions: Hondo_Lane

SOTK

Sep 16, 2010
Visit site
Its possible your power button is dead. This is a rare problem which has occurred on a few Samsung phones. Try this: plug in your phone to your computer with battery compartment door off, pull the battery as soon as you the charging icon appears, and then put the battery right back in. This is a trick which boots your phone up. Its not an exact technique. I had to try it a few times before getting it to work. If it doesn't work the first time, try it again. You don't have to push any buttons at all. Its all in the pulling of the battery and putting it back in the phone at the right time. Try doing a Google search on this. I found the technique on a Nexus S forum site somewhere and it DOES work on the GNex too.

If you can't get it to work at all, then maybe the phone actually died; however, it sounds like its possible that the power button could be the culprit.

Good luck.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

Reactions: NotJustAPhone

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coehlcke