Like Tree4Likes
  • 1 Post By mraviator
  • 1 Post By 2defmouze
  • 1 Post By dmmarck
  • 1 Post By creccaj1
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default After ROM flash - what's next?

So I unlocked, rooted, flashed AOKP B36 and the latest radios. I downloaded/installed all apps I want. I created all the widgets, set all the preferences for AOKP/System/Nova and placed all the shortcuts to my liking. Now, how do I preserve all of this? Some questions:

- When I flash future AOKP builds or milestones, will all my widget/shortcut/preferences, etc be lost and I'll have to go through all that again?
    - Will Titanium Backup (or another app) save all this info for me to make future ROM flashing painless? If so, will I need the paid version?
    - What other tasks should I complete to make future ROM flashing painless?

I don't plan on trying out new ROMs and will probably not update to every AOKP build, just the milestones. I like stock, but wanted a bit more control and lose some of the annoyances stock had. Any advice for me?

Thanks!
    clarker07 likes this.

Default Re: After ROM flash - what's next?

Quote Originally Posted by mraviator View Post
    So I unlocked, rooted, flashed AOKP B36 and the latest radios. I downloaded/installed all apps I want. I created all the widgets, set all the preferences for AOKP/System/Nova and placed all the shortcuts to my liking. Now, how do I preserve all of this? Some questions:

- When I flash future AOKP builds or milestones, will all my widget/shortcut/preferences, etc be lost and I'll have to go through all that again?
    - Will Titanium Backup (or another app) save all this info for me to make future ROM flashing painless? If so, will I need the paid version?
    - What other tasks should I complete to make future ROM flashing painless?

I don't plan on trying out new ROMs and will probably not update to every AOKP build, just the milestones. I like stock, but wanted a bit more control and lose some of the annoyances stock had. Any advice for me?

Thanks!
    1. Back up your Nova Launcher settings to keep all your home screen settings (including widgets, apps and shortcuts). As long as you do that you will be able to reset you home screens very easy once you flash again.

2. Yes, Titanium Backup will backup all your current user apps (do not backup/restore system apps or settings) and when you flash a new ROM, just download Titanium Backup from play store, and run the batch operation to restore all user apps. Once that is done, use Nova launcher to restore you home pages.

3. That is all that I can think of. As side from making sure that every thing is up to date backup wise and you have all the zip files you want to flash after the ROM is installed you want to flash (kernels or themes). Always always always boot up the ROM before you flash any other Kernels or Themes or anything else. ROM should always be booted stock first, and once you get that up and running you flash whatever you want till your heart's content.
    Thanked by 3:
  3. Thread Author  Thread Author    #3  

So TB will also save my system preferences? And the AOKP settings?

In addition to TitBu for app backup, and Nova for launcher backup (have not tried this myself), you should also learn to use Nandroid. This is the backup utility included in your Clockwork Recovery (cwm). Boot into Recovery, run a backup there, and it backs up everything except your launcher screens and widgets (and you have Nova for that).

Nandroid can be nice for when you have things all set PERFECT, and you want to try some other ROM for some reason. Refresh all your backups, take a Nandroid, and try out whatever it is you want to try. If it works, you restore TitBu and Nova and move on. If you hate it, you can just RESTORE your Nandroid and Nova, and back to where you were.

I really should get Nova running.
    Thanked by:

So TB will also save my system preferences? And the AOKP settings?
    AOKP settings there is an app on the play store for $2 that will back up all your AOKP settings. That is best way to do it, don't believe there is another way to back up those settings. ()

As far as system settings, I don't think so. That will probably be the only thing you will have to do manually each time. I tried to do system settings with titanium backup one time and I had to do a full wipe and reflash to get it work right again.
    Thanked by 2:

Global Posts
    5,846 Global Posts
    ROM
    AOKP

Do not use Tibu for your system data. You can safely use it to restore most user app data.. But you will run into nothing but problems if you try to restore system data. When you wipe to flash a new rom you'll have to spend 20-30 minutes setting certain things up again and whatever, that's just part of the game. You'll get better/quicker at it over time.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2
    Thanked by 2:

Global Posts
    5,846 Global Posts
    ROM
    AOKP

And yes like was said before you can get Romans AOKP Backup app if only to restore aokp settings.

Retired Moderator

ROM
    What do you think?

Is that app new?

Global Posts
    5,846 Global Posts
    ROM
    AOKP

Quote Originally Posted by dmmarck View Post
    Is that app new?
    Yeah Roman just published it the other day. He's also going to make it compatible with PZ, fwiw

zero neck likes this.
  10. Thread Author  Thread Author    #10  

Regarding Titanium Backup, I see system data backup option, but not app data backup option. Are the data files in the sdcard/data location saved too?

Global Posts
    452 Global Posts
    ROM
    AOKP Build5

so whats the difference between AOKP and liquidsmooth? both ROMs so does this mean the AOKP backup will not work for me? so tired of installing a new ROM and than setting upo my screens, ring tones, etc...

Xanth
  12. Thread Author  Thread Author    #12  

One more stupid titanium backup question. The backup is saved to the sdcard folder. When wiping to install an updated ROM, will that folder not get wiped? Do I need to copy the backup files off the device?

Global Posts
    452 Global Posts
    ROM
    AOKP Build5

so whats the difference between AOKP and liquidsmooth? both ROMs so does this mean the AOKP backup will not work for me? so tired of installing a new ROM and than setting upo my screens, ring tones, etc...

Xanth
    Retired Moderator

ROM
    What do you think?

Regarding Titanium Backup, I see system data backup option, but not app data backup option. Are the data files in the sdcard/data location saved too?

The sdcard does not get wiped unless you lock/unlock the bootloader, so don't worry. If you use TiBu to save, it utilizes that fact and always puts stuff there.

Quote Originally Posted by Xanth269 View Post

Xanth
    Two different roms; while there may be some slight crossover in features, they're different and thus the program would not work with liquid.

For the screens, just use Nova or Apex, backup your screen setup, then after you're done market restoring restore the backup of Nova/Apex. You screen is back to where you want it in a matter of seconds .

One more stupid titanium backup question. The backup is saved to the sdcard folder. When wiping to install an updated ROM, will that folder not get wiped? Do I need to copy the backup files off the device?

No it won't. Nothing in the SDcard gets wiped unless you (1) do it yourself, or (2) lock or unlock your device.
    Thanked by 3:
    Xanth269 likes this.

Global Posts
    5,846 Global Posts
    ROM
    AOKP

No your sd card is NOT touched when you perform a wipe in recovery before flashing a ROM. As was said, never backup and restore system data with Tibu. Only apps and app data. With it open hit menu, batch options, and do a batch backup of user apps and data, you will see it.

Xanth
    Question so nice you had to ask it twice?
    They are different ROMs. Read the developer's OP's on rootzwiki. Although you really should go with AOKP. I don't support TeamLiquid and I'm not going to get into the reasons why here. Everything you want in a ROM you can find in AOKP, straight up, just leave it at that. TONS of available theme options as well as most themers run AOKP.
    Thanked by 4:

Global Posts
    452 Global Posts
    ROM
    AOKP Build5

Quote Originally Posted by 2defmouze View Post
    No your sd card is NOT touched when you perform a wipe in recovery before flashing a ROM. As was said, never backup and restore system data with Tibu. Only apps and app data. With it open hit menu, batch options, and do a batch backup of user apps and data, you will see it.

Question so nice you had to ask it twice?
    They are different ROMs. Read the developer's OP's on rootzwiki. Although you really should go with AOKP. I don't support TeamLiquid and I'm not going to get into the reasons why here. Everything you want in a ROM you can find in AOKP, straight up, just leave it at that. TONS of available theme options as well as most themers run AOKP.

Sorry I never saw it post the 1st time, some sort of delay on my side.
    So here goes my noobie question...

I dled the AOKP toro build 36 file and the gapps-ics-2012-04-29-signed.zip.

once I flash them both, will I also have to flash the verizon apps.zip file and the com.motricity.verizon.ssodownloadable-1.apk to have "Verizon NFL" and "My Verizon" work again?
    And last but not least I did install Nova, I would guess to run that 1st so it can put my screens back to what I had before I flash this new rom?

Boy its fun but a lot of work to learn all this stuff.

Thanks!
    Xanth

Global Posts
    5,846 Global Posts
    ROM
    AOKP

Sorry I never saw it post the 1st time, some sort of delay on my side.
    So here goes my noobie question...

I dled the AOKP toro build 36 file and the gapps-ics-2012-04-29-signed.zip.

once I flash them both, will I also have to flash the verizon apps.zip file and the com.motricity.verizon.ssodownloadable-1.apk to have "Verizon NFL" and "My Verizon" work again?
    And last but not least I did install Nova, I would guess to run that 1st so it can put my screens back to what I had before I flash this new rom?

Boy its fun but a lot of work to learn all this stuff.

Thanks!
    Xanth
    Not sure about the verizon files you're asking about, I don't use them at all... Hopefully someone else can chime in on that.

Yes it's a good idea to run Nova first and set up your homescreens, then have it back them up so you can restore them easily later.

Other than that it sounds like you're on point with the rom and gapps files ready to go. Remember to do a full wipe.. As in wipe data/factory reset in recovery, then under mounts and storage format /system.. Then flash rom then gapps then just reboot. After it boots up give it like 2-3 minutes to settle in before you start jamming away at it too.. Just good practice

Thanked by 2:
    Retired Moderator

ROM
    What do you think?

For those Verizon files, I think you need to grab the NFL Mobile thing from the Play Store, log in, and then you're able to find the rest. Don't quote me on it b/c I don't use them, but I believe that's the "work around."
    Thanked by 2:

Just opened nfl mobile and it works ok. I have the sso login apk installed.
    However, this popup came up.

Sad.

Yup, I'm on Tapatalk2

Quote Originally Posted by davey11 View Post
    Just opened nfl mobile and it works ok. I have the sso login apk installed.
    However, this popup came up.

Sad.

Yup, I'm on Tapatalk2
    Well that sucks, the app isn't worth $5 a month lol that's for damn sure.
    dmmarck likes this.

Global Posts
    452 Global Posts
    ROM
    AOKP Build5

Ok need some help help now...
    I did the AOKP build 36, gapps, and the verizon apk fils.
    Reboot smooth, all my apps dled and I used nova to restore my screens. (very nice app)
    Now here are my issue(s)
    1- i am unable to connect to the office wifi, it will not recognize it. I tried an manual set-up, SSID, secrutiy type and password, tells me not in range. finds my home and the cable wifi no problem.

>>>OK, got it to work is am, unplugged wireless router, turned off phone and battery pull, turned all back on and it found the wireless network.

2- when I used the "stock" launcher if you flip to the left there were 5 setting short cuts, wifi-screen brightness-bt-gps- and 1 other with arrows in a circle. they are not there in nova, anyway to get them on a screen.
    >>> Ok found them they were under the pull down, anyway to make them permanent on the screen?<<<<

Now to get that back up program that started all this ROM change.

as always thank you!
    Xanth
    Last edited by Xanth269; 05-24-2012 at 05:09 AM. Reason: update

Global Posts
    124 Global Posts
    ROM
    2.9.2 Superclean

I just flashed AOKP build 36 and have everything running good....except YouTube. I downloaded it from Play, and when I go to open it, it says "Unfortunately, YouTube has stopped" I went into setting and cleared data, then forced stop, but still same error. I then uninstalled it and tried downloading again, and it said "YouTube could not be downloaded due to an error (941). I tried rebooting, but still same error when attempting download. I even did a battery pull, but same error.

Global Posts
    11,759 Global Posts
    ROM
    GS3: CleanROM / N4: AOKP

I'm on AOKP build 36 and the YouTube app works fine. Which ROM did you move from and did you do a full data wipe before flashing b36?

Sent using Tapatalk 2

Global Posts
    124 Global Posts
    ROM
    2.9.2 Superclean

Quote Originally Posted by NotJustAPhone View Post
    I'm on AOKP build 36 and the YouTube app works fine. Which ROM did you move from and did you do a full data wipe before flashing b36?

Sent using Tapatalk 2
    I did a full data wipe