Computer not Recognizing Galaxy Nexus. WANT FLASH NOW!!!

nbkhuu

Oct 29, 2010
Visit site
Verizon Galaxy Galaxy Nexus
ICS 4.0.4 IMM30B
unlocked
rooted

Sorry for the length. Here's the deal:

A month ago or so, I got impatient and installed a ROM comprising of ICS 4.0.4 bootloader/radios (IMM30B). Earlier, while I was trying to flash the official 4.0.4 build (IMM76K) that just dropped, and was attempting to first revert back to stock 4.0.2 (GNex toolkit), I found that my computer (Windows 7) wasn't recognizing the phone. It charges, yes, but doesn't mount/no USB icon notification bar. Device manager on computer doesn't detect it either.

This isn't my first time around the android block, but I'm also not a developer or anything either. I never had a problem with this: not when I first got it, or when unlocked it... or rooted it... or flashed IMM30... and not ever during the countless file transfers I've done. But now... nothing.

Things I've tried:

-multiple USB cables
-Multiple computers (both win7)
-reinstalled Samsung USB Phone Drivers
-reinstalled Verizon Wireless Galaxy Nexus USB driver
-reinstalled MTP porting kit
-off/on USB debug on phone
-off/on MTP on phone

And here's another weird thing -- I'm not able to flash into recovery with CwM. Whenever I try to flash recovery, i get the message: AN ERROR OCCURRED WHILE ATTEMPTING TO RUN PRIVILEGED COMMANDS!. I can get to fastboot manually (pwr + vol up/down), but when I select recovery I get the dead android with the red triangle/exclaimation point.

Now my eyes are blurry. Anyone have any ideas out there? Thanks all!

2defmouze

Jul 9, 2011
Visit site
kernel is stock.

3.0.8-g21f62a0

Hm. Not really sure what you did then as it sounds like you've tried everything I'd suggest.

Might want to do a factory reset from the Settings > backup & restore.... Note it will wipe everything, sd card included. So first you'll want to back up what you need with whatever backup app you have (i.e. Tibu), since you can't connect to the computer, you can have that sync the backup to dropbox or google drive now, either will work fine. Then backup your pics similarly, and music, etc... Then just do the factory restore.

Nothing else I can think of to do at this point.

hobnail1852

Apr 28, 2012
Visit site
Do you have fast charge enabled? If so, make sure you disable fast charge prior to hooking it up to your computer; your phone will not make a data connection if you have fast charge enabled. It just pulls as much power as possible through the USB

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Android Central Forums

nbkhuu

Oct 29, 2010
Visit site
Thanks 2defmouze. I wanted to save a factory wipe/reset for my last hope... now it seems as though it might be time.

Do you have fast charge enabled? If so, make sure you disable fast charge prior to hooking it up to your computer; your phone will not make a data connection if you have fast charge enabled. It just pulls as much power as possible through the USB

Is fast charge in the settings somewhere?

2defmouze

Jul 9, 2011
Visit site

No that's why I asked if he was on a custom kernel, lol. No stock kernel includes that option.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

zero neck

The Ever-Living
Jan 13, 2011
Visit site
try to boot cwm from fastboot first. if that works, do a clean install of something else i guess.

otherwsie, factory reset like 2def said, and if all else fails, odin.

nbkhuu

Oct 29, 2010
Visit site
Ok. So I did a factory reset and still no go. Still not being detected by the computer. Also, I've now lost root!

Anyone know if there is an app on the market that will root the Verizon Gnex? Kind of like the one that used to Root the Droid X?

Droid_Evo_8

Mar 1, 2011
Visit site

nbkhuu

Oct 29, 2010
Visit site
No, there's no app in the market that would root our Gnex. But have you tried this yet? >>> http://forums.androidcentral.com/ve...y-nexus-root-toolkit-v1-3-updated-1-22-a.html

Do / Use that cause I used it to root mine.

I was about to use it to return my Nexus to stock but found out that my laptop is not detecting my phone anymore. Same reason I can't use Odin. I've been toiling for hours and am not any closer.

Unless the phone decides to magically mount, I need a way to root, flash into recovery, then flash a ROM... all from my phone.

2defmouze

Jul 9, 2011
Visit site
I was about to use it to return my Nexus to stock but found out that my laptop is not detecting my phone anymore. Same reason I can't use Odin. I've been toiling for hours and am not any closer.

Unless the phone decides to magically mount, I need a way to root, flash into recovery, then flash a ROM... all from my phone.

I'm thinking you are still missing drivers. Check Cyber Warrior's How To post on the top.. Near the end of the OP there's a section on a specific driver many people miss the first go around. Just read through that carefully and make sure you've got everything. Let me know.

nbkhuu

Oct 29, 2010
Visit site
This deserves another post, but anyone think I can get away with returning this phone to Verizon tomorrow with the excuse of "it's not connecting to my computer?"

keep in mind that it's unlocked, but not rooted.

Also, how can I go about deleting the superuser icon?

twindragons187

Jul 16, 2010
Visit site
Connect the phone to your computer. Make sure debugging is enabled. On your computer, click start and right click on your computer. In the drop down, click properties. Find "device manager" and open it. There should be a yellow ! Saying something with adb. Click on it and update it. Will ask to browse your computer. (Make sure u click manually check your computer). In the drop down, find Samsung phone. Click it and update the driver with it. Now it should work.

twindragons187

Jul 16, 2010
Visit site
This deserves another post, but anyone think I can get away with returning this phone to Verizon tomorrow with the excuse of "it's not connecting to my computer?"

keep in mind that it's unlocked, but not rooted.

Also, how can I go about deleting the superuser icon?

Its still rooted....

nbkhuu

Oct 29, 2010
Visit site
I'm thinking you are still missing drivers. Check Cyber Warrior's How To post on the top.. Near the end of the OP there's a section on a specific driver many people miss the first go around. Just read through that carefully and make sure you've got everything. Let me know.

Just looked at the troubleshooting section of that post and all the steps were spot on except the last one. Haha. Instead of prompting me to update the driver, windows 7 says "error" and "this device cannot start".

Thanks for the rec though. I might skim through the post to see if there's anything of help to me.

nbkhuu

Oct 29, 2010
Visit site
Connect the phone to your computer. Make sure debugging is enabled. On your computer, click start and right click on your computer. In the drop down, click properties. Find "device manager" and open it. There should be a yellow ! Saying something with adb. Click on it and update it. Will ask to browse your computer. (Make sure u click manually check your computer). In the drop down, find Samsung phone. Click it and update the driver with it. Now it should work.

Doesn't work. Device has yellow exclamation, but when I try to update the driver, Windows gives me an error message and says that the "device doesn't work"

Its still rooted....

It's funny, but there were certain applications that said that I needed root access, and yet other root apps that seemingly still worked. weird.

2defmouze

Jul 9, 2011
Visit site
God I hate recommending toolkits and 1-clicks...but have you tried Wug's toolkit? AFAIK it should handle your drivers and everything for you. Just want to get your ish going here.

No you can't expect good things if you go to verizon with it in its current condition. Whatever you did is fixable, and given you did the factory reset and are still having the problem it really has to be a computer/driver issue..