Newbie question: backup to SD card

Vance14

Aug 17, 2010
Visit site
This is basic, but since Titanium backs up to the SD card, doesn't this get wiped out when you flash a new ROM? When I unlocked and rooted, my SD card was wiped (as far as I can see, all my photos, etc, were gone). How does this work?

loraque

Oct 15, 2010
Visit site
No. Your SD card does not get wiped with a new ROM, so the TitBu folder stays. You do need to install TitBu again, but your backup files are waiting for a restore.

Unlocking/Locking DOES wipe the SD card. It is the only thing that does. Since you should only ever unlock once, it should not happen again.

dmmarck

Retired Moderator
Dec 28, 2011
Visit site
No. Your SD card does not get wiped with a new ROM, so the TitBu folder stays. You do need to install TitBu again, but your backup files are waiting for a restore.

Unlocking/Locking DOES wipe the SD card. It is the only thing that does. Since you should only ever unlock once, it should not happen again.

All of this. The only way your SDcard gets fooled with is (1) act of God; (2) you deleting it manually; (3) locking; (4) relocking; (5) solar flares.

bakerbert

Mar 22, 2011
Visit site
The reason you lost all of your data when you unlocked...is a securty feature when unlocking your boot loader.

Your phone dose not had a SD card, so it creates a virtual SD and that dose not get wiped when you flash anything from CMW. all of your files, Will be there as if saved on a true SD card.

Vance14

Aug 17, 2010
Visit site
Awesome, I figured it was something simple. That makes perfect sense, thanks! I first realized this when I went to restore my GoSMS backup and it couldn't find it, so I checked my pictures, GONE! Glad I had G+ auto-upload turned on since it came out!

dmmarck

Retired Moderator
Dec 28, 2011
Visit site
Awesome, I figured it was something simple. That makes perfect sense, thanks! I first realized this when I went to restore my GoSMS backup and it couldn't find it, so I checked my pictures, GONE! Glad I had G+ auto-upload turned on since it came out!

It wouldn't be a bad idea to have something like Dropbox either. I have it automatically upload any new pictures, and that saves my ass usually.

Vance14

Aug 17, 2010
Visit site
Actually, I just started using Folder Sync, and I now have my DCIM and Downloads folders syncing up to Box.net. That should be a good alternative as well.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
pierre5463