Flashing Redemption ROM with 4.0.4 update

mikekrafick

Feb 7, 2012
Visit site
I recently unlocked and rooted my vzw galaxy nexus. I flashed the 4.0.4 OTA update last week. Iwant to try Redemption ROM. Will that screw up my 4.0.4 update. I am new at this, any help is appreciated.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Android Central Forums

anon(596177)

Dec 14, 2011
Visit site
I recently unlocked and rooted my vzw galaxy nexus. I flashed the 4.0.4 OTA update last week. Iwant to try Redemption ROM. Will that screw up my 4.0.4 update. I am new at this, any help is appreciated.

The redemption ROM does not install itself on top of the version of android you have on your phone, it completely replaces it. Whatever version of android that redemption uses (im going to assume the LEAKED 4.0.4 from a few months ago) is going to be the version of Android you will be running, so really if you are going to flash now that you have received the OTA, waiting for the OTA was a moot point.

The good thing is the devs will be incorporating this new OTA into their ROMs shortly, so waiitng for an updated ROM shouldnt be too long.

Reactions: dmmarck

_JKK_

Feb 10, 2010
Visit site
The redemption ROM does not install itself on top of the version of android you have on your phone, it completely replaces it. Whatever version of android that redemption uses (im going to assume the LEAKED 4.0.4 from a few months ago) is going to be the version of Android you will be running, so really if you are going to flash now that you have received the OTA, waiting for the OTA was a moot point.

The good thing is the devs will be incorporating this new OTA into their ROMs shortly, so waiitng for an updated ROM shouldnt be too long.

Redemption ROM is based off of the AOSP version (build IMM76D). Lou builds Redemption ROM from AOSP, then adds the pieces to make the CDMA/LTE Galaxy Nexus work.

Anyways, OP, the Redemption ROM completely replaces your system. When you flash it, it will replace your current installed system with Redemption ROM, wiping your settings. Most of your content is fine, you will have to redownload your apps, but your settings are gone.

Redemption ROM is based off of Android 4.0.4, so in essence, no. It will not mess with your 4.0.4 update, as you will still be running Android 4.0.4.

Any other questions? Feel free to ask :)

mikekrafick

Feb 7, 2012
Visit site
Thanks for the help. Android Community is awesome! What is the difference between IMM76K and IMM76D. I have IMM76K.

davey11

Dec 17, 2010
Visit site

Not knocking your decision to try out RR. IMHO you would get a much more fufilling experience with a more full featured rom. Since I am an aokp advocate, I recommend that.

These custom stuff is head and shoulders better than a stock experience, and you will quickly forget any of this stock 404 update nonsense.

See all the commotion in the general section about the holy grail 404 update? I can guarantee you every one of us crackflashers who are on custom roms don't give a flying rats ballyhoo about it.

_JKK_

Feb 10, 2010
Visit site
Not knocking your decision to try out RR. IMHO you would get a much more fufilling experience with a more full featured rom. Since I am an aokp advocate, I recommend that.

These custom stuff is head and shoulders better than a stock experience, and you will quickly forget any of this stock 404 update nonsense.

See all the commotion in the general section about the holy grail 404 update? I can guarantee you every one of us crackflashers who are on custom roms don't give a flying rats ballyhoo about it.

I think that there's a lot to be said about wanting to try out an Android experience that is better than stock, but not so full of features that it's hard to get started with. I can definitely see Redemp. ROM being a great "first ROM", so to speak, simply because it does focus on speed and stability so much, while other ROMs try to pack the features in there.

davey11

Dec 17, 2010
Visit site
I think that there's a lot to be said about wanting to try out an Android experience that is better than stock, but not so full of features that it's hard to get started with. I can definitely see Redemp. ROM being a great "first ROM", so to speak, simply because it does focus on speed and stability so much, while other ROMs try to pack the features in there.

You are probably right. But honestly, the full featured ones have certainly not sacrificed any stability/speed for their features.

I mainly wanted to point out to the op to not be so concerned with the ota update.

The great thing is there are so many choices. There have been phones with 5 or 10 roms. This phone has an almost ridiculous amount.

_JKK_

Feb 10, 2010
Visit site
You are probably right. But honestly, the full featured ones have certainly not sacrificed any stability/speed for their features.

I mainly wanted to point out to the op to not be so concerned with the ota update.

The great thing is there are so many choices. There have been phones with 5 or 10 roms. This phone has an almost ridiculous amount.

I agree. I'll go browsing on XDA or Rootzwiki and something will pop up that I've never seen before, but that has like 15 pages of people saying how much they like it.

It's crazy. But crazy in a great way.

mikekrafick

Feb 7, 2012
Visit site
Thanks for the help and suggestions! I am trying some new stuff and I'll probably switch back and forth cuz there is so many ROM's out there.

Just curious, do you guys get paid to do this? Giving advice on forums and developing ROM's? I couldn't do it without all the support I get on here. Thanks for making this easy for a beginner like me!

dmmarck

Retired Moderator
Dec 28, 2011
Visit site
Thanks for the help and suggestions! I am trying some new stuff and I'll probably switch back and forth cuz there is so many ROM's out there.

Just curious, do you guys get paid to do this? Giving advice on forums and developing ROM's? I couldn't do it without all the support I get on here. Thanks for making this easy for a beginner like me!

Nope. Android = community; without community, all we would have is an piece of plastic and metal that makes calls, texts, and occasionally browses the web ;).

rebretz000

Jul 20, 2011
Visit site
Are there any ROM's that use VZ version of 4.0.4 IMM76K = Toro/Verizon/CDMA? Which is recommomended for extended battery life and smoothness? Never used a customed ROM. Unlocked and rooted phone last night using Wug's tool.

Masheen

Nov 11, 2010
Visit site
IMM76K = Toro/Verizon/CDMA
IMM76D = Maguro/GSM

There is also a IMM76I that was released and Roman incorporated it into his AOKP M5 build. He said the differences are mostly in the kernel. IMM76I fixes data and signal dropouts.

I currently am a Redemption ROM user, and I love Lou's work. But due to the 70 hour weeks he's been working, he hasn't updated his ROM with the newest build. I've had the fastest and smoothest experience on Lou's ROM compared to any other ROM that I have flashed. However, I am going to check out AOKP's M5 while I wait for an updated version of Redemption ROM.

mikekrafick

Feb 7, 2012
Visit site
When I am copying a file to my "SD Card" do I extract the files before or after I put it on my phone? I can't remember how I did it last time. Trying another ROM but it doesn't have step by step instructions.

rebretz000

Jul 20, 2011
Visit site
I had Redemption ROM but didn't like it. I disable Google+ since I don't use it but w/ Redemption ROM it doesn't stay disabled.

tcapote

Geek Freak
May 15, 2010
Visit site
Are there any ROM's that use VZ version of 4.0.4 IMM76K = Toro/Verizon/CDMA? Which is recommomended for extended battery life and smoothness? Never used a customed ROM. Unlocked and rooted phone last night using Wug's tool.

I am also interested in any responses to this question.

Lou has done a fantastic job with Redemption Rom 1.3, but being as busy as he has been, not sure when we'll see a IMM76K release?

Sent from Tapatalk 2 on my Galaxy Nexus running Redemption Rom 1.3

rebretz000

Jul 20, 2011
Visit site
I am also interested in any responses to this question.

Lou has done a fantastic job with Redemption Rom 1.3, but being as busy as he has been, not sure when we'll see a IMM76K release?

Sent from Tapatalk 2 on my Galaxy Nexus running Redemption Rom 1.3

Just saw a tweet from Lou saying he is working on an update to Redemption ROM using IMM76K.

Reactions: tcapote and dmmarck