Good like stock ROM for roomate

Wampa1

Aug 30, 2011
Visit site
Hey,

I have a Thunderbolt and my roomate has a Galaxy Nexus. He's been running an old version of stock since he rooted and I'm going to update him to a new ROM. What would everyone recommend as a good ROM for him? He seems to like stock so I'm thinking CM9 but I haven't used any ROMs on the Nexus.

Thanks

taappel

Aug 1, 2011
Visit site
If all you want is a speedier version of the stock ROM, go with redemption rom. There really is no eye candy, because the only focus is to improve performance and battery life. I would be using it now, but there are a few features I can't live without that stock just doesn't offer. That said, the speed is incredible.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Android Central Forums

taappel

Aug 1, 2011
Visit site
Also, I disagree with the AOKP recommendation. It offers so many options that it may be overwhelming if you're coming from stock. I am using it right now and love it, but it is a completely different experience from the stock ROM.

7stringer

I have The Rickets
Feb 1, 2012
Visit site
Honestly, you can install Apex or Nova on the ROM, which is basically a stock OS with some extra functional features. The features of the ROM can be managed with the ROM's settings, which is up to the user to tweak.

I use Apex over top LiquidSmooth 1.4 with the Franco Kernel, and no one would probably know I was rooted. I did changed the colors of the Nav buttons (still black background but with ICS blue buttons instead of white), and added toggles to the status bar drop down, but other than that it looks clean and stock.

With that said, I imagine you can get away with a "stock" look on most ROMS. The behind the scenes stuff is just gravy - example, I have the Franco app and have tweaked my screen to 1.2 Gamma (slightly darker, but punchier colors) and adjusted the RGB to get rid of the gradient in the settings menu. Franco has those settings listed for you in the app. I also have some CPU adjustments, but again, those were amended at my own discretion and choice.

svfd757

Feb 10, 2012
Visit site
Also, I disagree with the AOKP recommendation. It offers so many options that it may be overwhelming if you're coming from stock. I am using it right now and love it, but it is a completely different experience from the stock ROM.

I am fairly inexperienced with the whole flashing game and I also am a reformed stock user. I jumped into aokp and have never looked back. My advice would be to utilize everything as is on aokp and play with settings as you go. That would help avoid feeling overwhelmed. Same would go for franco Kernel settings

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus by way of Tapatalk

Reactions: Wampa1

Wampa1

Aug 30, 2011
Visit site
Hey thanks everyone in the thread. I ended up going with AOKP b38 for now but I'll keep everything everyone said in mind. I played around with it a little bit and it seems to run smoothly and not be that different from stock. I think he'll like it. I need to teach him to backup, flash, and restore so he can put whatever he wants on here.

tcapote

Geek Freak
May 15, 2010
Visit site
If all you want is a speedier version of the stock ROM, go with redemption rom. There really is no eye candy, because the only focus is to improve performance and battery life. I would be using it now, but there are a few features I can't live without that stock just doesn't offer. That said, the speed is incredible.

Agreed, Redemption Rom!

svfd757

Feb 10, 2012
Visit site
Hey thanks everyone in the thread. I ended up going with AOKP b38 for now but I'll keep everything everyone said in mind. I played around with it a little bit and it seems to run smoothly and not be that different from stock. I think he'll like it. I need to teach him to backup, flash, and restore so he can put whatever he wants on here.

Next step is francos kernel. Aokp runs even better on franco

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus by way of Tapatalk

2defmouze

Jul 9, 2011
Visit site
I don't know why go with "stock" ROMs... I recommend AOKP because its pretty much stock until you decide to tweak with ROM Control settings. You have the choice to keep it as stock looking as you want or experiment. And it's as stable as anything. AOKP "nightlies" are always stable, though occasionally the newer features might not work 100%, but everything else will. That's the only thing separating them from the Milestone builds anyways.

turdbogls

Feb 4, 2011
Visit site
pretty much all the ROMs out right now are stock, some have zero customization, some have a TON of customization...however, they all start out the same, and the cusomizations are up to the user.

I LOVE aokp with the toggles, 3 option Lock Screen, softkey swapping and the built in theme engine.
however, i dont HAVE to use these options. i can leave it just like stock if i like......but i dont want to do that.

Reactions: davey11

7stringer

I have The Rickets
Feb 1, 2012
Visit site
Man, all this talk of AOKP is making my mouth water. haha

I'm running LiquidSmooth and Franco's kernel, and I've not had any issues, but now curiosity is getting the best of me.

aziadeh

Aug 12, 2011
Visit site
You should give DroidJunk's Junk ROM a shot, basically stock experience with lots of theming options, plus lots of streamlining under the hood along with a few other goodies.

clarker07

Dec 24, 2009
Visit site
It should be pretty telling that everyone has their favorite ROM that they swear by. There are so many great ones (bugless beast gets my vote). Its said on here all of the time but the support for this phone is fantastic.

I think most people would say spend $2 of your friends money and get the franco kernel app and get that going on top of whichever ROM you choose for him.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
akbarramadhani12