Rooting benefits

familia5az

Apr 14, 2011
Visit site
Other than tethering, what other advantages to rooting are there? I rooted incredible that I previously owned and sure, the customization was nice, however I got bored always flashing new roms hoping for the next best thing and never truly being satisfied. I always felt rooting was overrated and that the stock Gnex is petty much as customizable as I need it. Now if I could get Hulu integrated with flash, like my incredible, I would consider it. O:)

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Android Central Forums

dmmarck

Retired Moderator
Dec 28, 2011
Visit site
Other than tethering, what other advantages to rooting are there? I rooted incredible that I previously owned and sure, the customization was nice, however I got bored always flashing new roms hoping for the next best thing and never truly being satisfied. I always felt rooting was overrated and that the stock Gnex is petty much as customizable as I need it. Now if I could get Hulu integrated with flash, like my incredible, I would consider it. O:)

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Android Central Forums

In my signature there's a link that says "Don't Panic." Read it :). It has the joys and awesomeness of rooting in a nice, easy, 7.5 hour read (jk).

pool_shark

Aug 21, 2010
Visit site
It depends on what you want out of it.

I like the access to the command line and busybox. I have cron running, it reboots my Nexus on a schedule. I wrote scripts to mount /system, change the host name, and show my CPU utilization separated by CPU0 and CPU1.
I had a script to do backups but that one was no longer needed.

2defmouze

Jul 9, 2011
Visit site
Rooting / Unlocking / Flashing ROMs has come a long way since your Incredible. If you are up for it and jump in, flash AOKP b38 and oft-recommended Franco Kernel, you will see how much better than stock your system can really be. Listing all the features available in AOKP these days is like impossible, lol.. you just gotta go for it, you won't regret it :)

turdbogls

Feb 4, 2011
Visit site
I would say the main benefits of rooting today are (in no particular order):
Wifi tether
custom ROM's and kernels
root access apps (like titanium backup and root explorer)
custom apps (like the themed stock apps)
ad blocking
Themeing pretty much every aspect of your system
custom recovery or backing up your system and doing advanced restores, andvanced wipes ect.
overclocking/underclocking/undervolting for performance/battery saving

Undertoad

Jan 4, 2012
Visit site
Benefits of not rooting:

- Save time and effort

For me it's a push, and I've been a Linux sysadmin for 20 years. In fact that may be why I haven't rooted. I have had root on probably a thousand different machines in my lifetime. I'll probably eventually find a reason to do it, but vanilla ICS is pretty damn good to start.

BTW Easy Tether works without root for USB tethering. But you have to pay if you want the version that does https.

Reactions: Technosticrati

loraque

Oct 15, 2010
Visit site
To make a proper backup of your apps and data with Titanium Backup is reason enough IMO. Even if you do nothing else.

itsdollar

Feb 16, 2011
Visit site
So many reasons for rooting but it depends on what the user wants. If you are not into theming or too much stuff you can run a stock rooted ROM. With a good kernel ROMS can save hours of battery life. That reason alone is enough to root.

mrholzapfel

May 25, 2011
Visit site
Running the right ROM opens up the bluetooth stack. Took the plunge with AOKP and I can finally use all the features on my bluetooth car stereo (AVRCP).

oxymoron

It's been real...
Sep 5, 2011
Visit site
Rooted primarily for that reason but can't say I'm that impressed. There are too many ads leaking through in apps.

Is there a better option?

Maybe? I don't know, AdFree works well for me so I haven't looked for another option yet.

Are you making sure your host file is up to date? After downloading new apps, you have to first open those apps to allow AdFree to know it needs to update the host file. Update it, reboot, and the ads should be gone. If you already do that, ignore me :D
a6fbde43-6ca1-8671.jpg

*customized tapatalk signature*

zero neck

The Ever-Living
Jan 13, 2011
Visit site
you can tether with the native tethering if you run a custom rom, wifi tether app also works well.

as for ad free, when i used to use it i found it caused fc's sometimes, but that was back in the day on a thunderbolt using dolphin browser. havent used it on ics/chrome beta.

asmallchild

Jan 16, 2012
Visit site
you can tether with the native tethering if you run a custom rom, wifi tether app also works well.

as for ad free, when i used to use it i found it caused fc's sometimes, but that was back in the day on a thunderbolt using dolphin browser. havent used it on ics/chrome beta.

Currently using Adfree on ICS, seems to work perfectly

Reactions: zero neck

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nikoczzzz