[GUIDE][8/1] Jelly Bean Now! Resources & Discussion

dmmarck

Retired Moderator
Dec 28, 2011
Visit site
[WARN]I take absolutely no credit for any of the incredible work any of the developers did here. I am merely Prometheus, bringing fire to the masses in an easy to understand way. If you appreciate their work, please thank them in their home threads/donate to the cause!

Also, flashing is serious business and may void your warranty and cause unsightly events like demonic possession and bricking. You do everything at your own assumed risk :).[/WARN]

[NOTE]
  1. Jelly Bean Ports & Stock AOSP Roms
  2. Custom Roms - "Baked Jelly Beans!"
  3. Tips/Tricks/Fixes/Softbricking
  4. Kernels, Modifications, Themes, Goodies!
[/NOTE]

Hot on the heels of Google's I/O 2012, attending developers received a bunch of goodies--perhaps none more important (to us) than free Galaxy Nexii complete with a Jelly Bean preview OTA. Some developers decided to port that over for us (Verizon Galaxy Nexus owners), and those ports are listed here.

Mostly Stock/Pure Ports​

Port #1 - Vicious Jelly Bean 4.1 by Team Liquid

This was the second JB port and the one I'm personally on as of this post (3:39pm EST for those keeping score at home). It is stock and it has been modified to ensure stability and workability on our devices.

[INFO]Vicious Jelly Bean is found here. Please visit this link for the latest downloads, tips, and tricks.
[/INFO]

Port #2 - Pure Jelly Bean 4.1

Because the first two ports are adding bits and pieces from other roms (and starting to dip seriously into actual custom rom territory, but we'll let that slide for now ;)), here is a link to the purest 4.1 port out there. You can flash the WiFi fix, or you can ignore it--your call.

[INFO]The link for pure Jelly deliciousness is here. Again, follow the thread and give credit where credit is due![/INFO]

Port #3 - MoDaCo LTE Port by ejlax/MoDaCo

This rom is essentially a stock port with two added features--a custom kernel and a custom reboot menu so you can get to the recovery a bit easier (unless you are a Terminal enthusiast!).

[INFO]For this port, please follow along here. As usual, please read the OP carefully, always make your backups, always wipe when instructed (or in doubt), and always thank these awesome devs that have turned a GSM backup into amazingness.[/INFO]

Port #4 - Razor's Jelly by razorloves

Another port borne from the idea of developing the stock "Jelly Bean" rom, Razor's port affords the flasher yet another item to select in their nightly flash-programming.

[INFO]To download and install Razor's port, see their OP here. Be sure to give credit where credit is due :).[/INFO]

Port #5 - JellyBAMF by TeamBAMF

A straight GSM to Toro port by TeamBAMF.

[INFO]To download and install TeamBAMF's port, see their OP here. Be sure to give credit where credit is due![/INFO]

Mostly Stock/Pure AOSP-Based Roms​

Christmas came early for us Nexiians and Jelly Bean source dropped a few days ago. Here are a few of the roms that crept up early, including some names (Jelly Belly, Vicious) that should be familiar to you all by now.

AOSP #1 - Jelly Belly by jakeday

Perhaps the most stable of the ports, jakeday wasted no time in transforming Jelly Belly to a fully source-based rom.

[INFO]In order to download and install Jelly Belly, please visit this thread. Be sure to follow the thread for installation procedures, particularly since GAPPs are now separated from the rom. Also, give credit and thanks where due, these devs are working very hard to give us a taste of the Jelly![/INFO]

AOSP #2 - Bugless Beast by Peter Alfonso

Peter Alfonso has a line of dedicated fans that want one thing--a stock experience with absolutely no hangups. Bugless Beast is exactly that, so if you're looking for a pure AOSP rom with no bugs (get it?), try out BB.

[INFO]We have our own support thread for Bugless Beast here. Be sure to follow any and all instructions within the thread, and if you have any questions, to search there first.[/INFO]

Installation

[WARN]My apologies for "bogging" this down with neat little graphics, however this one is absolutely important.

If you have never flashed a rom before, have never unlocked your phone before, and have never rooted, Jelly Bean may not be the best...introduction to such things. It's not that I'm trying to warn you against its awesomeness, but it's because this is highly experimental.

See, most roms are built from "source." Google releases the source, devs go crazy. This is built from a nandroid--a backup--of a device that received an OTA. Thus, to say the least, all of these ports are highly experimental. Weird, crazy, and terrifying problems have plagued earlier ports, and while some are ironed out, some remain. All of these ports tend to do something to the data, may it be restructuring how it is stored or simply (and horrifyingly) corrupting your files. The only way out, often, is to use "advanced" techniques like fastboot, or at the very worst, ODIN.

If you are not familiar with fastboot and flashing/restoring stock images I would hesitate to take the plunge. If you are, then you should have a decent escape plan if your phone takes a turn for the worst. Regardless, the risk is yours so please, please, please be careful :).[/WARN]

Unless the rom's thread says differently, this is how you want to install a Jelly Bean port:

[TIP]
  1. Download the relevant zip(s) and place them on your phone's SDcard.
  2. Reboot into Recovery--CWM or TWRP.
  3. Wipe CACHE AND DALVIK CACHE.
  4. Create a BACKUP/NANDROID of your current rom.
  5. Wipe the phone completely--data, cache, dalvik, and system.
  6. Install/flash the zips. If there are more than one, make sure you know in which order to flash them.
  7. Reboot your device and be patient.
  8. Wait for a minute or two when you get to the "Welcome" screen.
  9. Set up your device and eat some Jelly Beans :).

For more installation tips, please see this XDA post that states exactly what you must do to flash JB. It also has some common fixes. :D
[/TIP]

62cc2c04-c18d-c7f5.jpg
62cc2c04-c197-2b95.jpg
62cc2c04-c1a6-942c.jpg
62cc2c04-c1b1-7ef3.jpg
Screenshots are of Vicious V1​

Last edited:

dmmarck

Retired Moderator
Dec 28, 2011
Visit site
Re: [GUIDE] Jelly Bean Now! Resources/Discussion

[WARN]I take absolutely no credit for any of the incredible work any of the developers did here. I am merely Prometheus, bringing fire to the masses in an easy to understand way. If you appreciate their work, please thank them in their home threads/donate to the cause!

Also, flashing is serious business and may void your warranty and cause unsightly events like demonic possession and bricking. You do everything at your own assumed risk :).[/WARN]

PORT-BASED ROMS

Custom Rom #1 - VanirBEAN (Formerly JD's JELLYBEAN) by TeamVanir

This was the first port to hit the interwebs as far as I can tell. It started off without a data connection but is now complete with optimizations.

[INFO]VanirBEAN is found here. Please visit this link for the latest downloads, tips, and tricks.
[/INFO]

Note - with the optimizations this is not--technically--100% stock. It is damn close, and considering the work that has been put in, exceptionally awesome in its "completeness."

Custom Rom #2 - AXI0M ENGAGE (formerly "FLOW") by DroidTh3ory

Intrepid Michigander and Wizard of the Nexus DroidTh3ory is making his triumphant return to rom'ing with an impressive rom--FLOW.

[INFO]To find out more information about FLOW and to download it, please go here. Please be sure to read the OP for installation instructions and features, for DT does things his way :).[/INFO]

62cc2c04-607d-172e.jpg

Custom Rom #3 - TR4NSCEND by PrimeDirective

One of the first roms to feature an exceptional amount of tweaks, this rom appears to have every base cover. Project Butter meet lobst3r butter ;).

[INFO]To download and install TR4NSCEND, please mosey on over to the its home thread. Be sure to read the instructions given and give credit, comments, and salutations to PrimeDirective when you can![/INFO]

AOSP-BASED ROMS

Custom Rom #1 - CM10 JellyBro by Euroskank

CM10 hasn't been officially released yet, but that hasn't stopped several devs from compiling it and porting it over for our consumption. Euroskank's build, IMO, is probably the top JB rom out there at the moment. If you love CyanogenMod, be sure to check out JellyBro!

[INFO]We have a support and source thread for CM10 JellyBro here. Please go there for up to date downloads and support.[/INFO]

Custom Rom #2 - Android Open Kang Project by Team Kang

Arguably the most popular rom for ICS, AOKP has just started releasing "preview" builds. So far the features aren't where we normally would expect, but they are coming in fast and somewhat furious. Also, the new logo kicks ass.

[INFO]We have a support thread for AOKP Jelly Bean here. Please go there for up to day downloads and support.[/INFO]

Last edited:

dmmarck

Retired Moderator
Dec 28, 2011
Visit site

Generally Applicable Tips/Tricks/FAQ

Flashing ports can be an adventurous affair. You want to keep several things in mind.

First, this is experimental in every sense of the word. You must make a nandroid at every possible chance and don't do anything "dirty."

Second, please read the "home threads" for each port. They will have tips, tricks, etc., and I'm mentioning those twice because of how important they are. Some ports may have bugs, some may not. You want to be well versed in the port and its workings before you go gallivanting about!

Third, regardless of where you are in Mass Effect: Infiltrator, wipe everything. Every. Single. Thing. Data. Cache. Dalvik. System. Hell, do it twice. Take absolutely no chances!

Fourth, don't panic. The first boot takes forever. If it's still booting after 30 minutes, pull your battery and try and try again. But it taking 5-6 minutes to boot seems to be the norm for most (and it has been for me each of the 4 times I've now flashed a port).

Fifth, if you need to get into recovery and you don't have ROM Manager or anything like that, you must power down the device then hold down volume up, volume down, and the power button simultaneously until it vibrates. Then, using the volume toggle, find "Recovery." Hit the power button and it will boot you into CWM or TWRP (whatever custom recovery you use).

Sixth, I have seen it mentioned on other forums that both "touch" recoveries may be...faulty. Regardless if this actually true, you may want to try using standard ClockworkMod Recovery instead of CWM Touch or TWRP. Different users are having different experiences (sometimes vastly different experiences), so as with anything, proceed with caution.

Seventh, you will see the term dirty flashing mentioned. This has two meanings. First, for installing a new version of your current rom, you want to wipe cache, dalvik cache, and format system. Second, for installing a kernel, it is good to wipe cache and dalvik cache--do not, I repeat, do not format system when flashing a kernel!.

FIXES

Fix #1 - WiFi

On some of the early builds, WiFi was weak and generally terrible. Now, the newer builds (meaning ones you flash after this is posted) will have the WiFi fix. If, for some reason, the build you flash does not fix WiFi, here is a WiFi fix courtesy of a brave, intelligent soul from XDA. As usual, please thank this user as many times as you possibly can.

[INFO]The WiFi fix can be found here. Simply follow the instructions and flash the zip file in recovery. While no wipe is needed, wiping never hurt a thing. So wipe cache/dalvik :).[/INFO]

Fix #2 - Changing that Heinous T-CDMA 64 Nonsense

Since we have a Verizon device (on a Verizon network) and are using a GSM build some things may go awry. One of those is this horrifying T-CDMA 64 script that comes up on the lock screen and in the drop down when you're connected to the network. This can be changed, however, and I have done this myself.

[INFO]First, you must download (to your computer)the appropriate file from this post on RW. Then, if you don't want "Verizon Wireless," simply open up the file in a Text Editor and replace all instances of that phrase with whatever you want it to say (don't go longer than "Verizon Wireless" just in case). Copy the file to your SDcard, move it from your SDcard to "/data" (the data folder in the root directory), and reboot. As always, nandroid beforehand! For more information, an alternative, and just more context, reference the previously linked thread and this alternative thread. I did not have success with the alternative thread, but some may.[/INFO]

62cc2c04-f521-4e85.jpg
62cc2c04-f52d-df15.jpg

Fix #3 - Jelly Bean Bootloader

If you're having very long boot times (particularly at the "Google" screen), check out the Jelly Bean bootloader. Have no fear--bootloaders are the same regardless of GSM/CDMA. Simply flash it in recovery and enjoy some more "official" JB goodness :).

[INFO]To find the JB bootloader, please check out Jake Day's Jelly Belly thread, found here. A more direct link can be found here. All credit goes to Jake, RW, and any other associated developer![/INFO]

[WARN]If you have any places to go back to ICS--and you shouldn't ;)--be sure to flash the original 4.0.4 bootloader before you do so. Flashing ICS roms/restoring ICS backups has not been tested on the JB bootloader. You can find this bootloader in zero neck's radios thread, specifically the 4.0.4 radio package (be sure to get the one that says it includes the bootloader).[/WARN]

Fix #3 - Google Now/Text-to-Speech

If you're having issues with Text-to-Speech or Google Now/Voice Search, ensure two things--(1) that an offline language pack has been downloaded (check the settings for voice search in Google Now), and (2) that you have a specified file in the /system/lib directory of your phone. For the file and more information, please go here.

SOFTBRICKING

As I've repeatedly stated, flashing these ports/roms is highly experimental and carries with it a high level of risk. Some users, including yours truly, have "softbricked" their device. In order to get out of this, I chose to restore the stock images. You can do this (AFAIK) in things like Wug's and the GNex Toolkit, but you can also do it manually with fastboot.

Here are the GENERAL INSTRUCTIONS TO RESTORE THE STOCK IMAGES. Make sure you know how to do it for your computer/setup and that ADB and fastboot is set up on your computer. In addition, make sure you know how to type the commands in for your specific setup. For example, if you're using a superboot folder for Mac, you need to make sure you understand what your "version" of the "beginning" of the command is (usually "./fastboot-mac" if you're using that r3-superboot folder). For Ubuntu, be sure to put "sudo" before any and all fastboot commands.

[INFO]
First, download the 4.0.4 IMM76K image files to your computer. These files are found here.

Second, extract the files from that downloaded file. Place those files in an easily accessible location, like your desktop or your downloads folder.

Third, turn your phone off. Then, hold down volume up, volume down, and the power button at the same time to boot you into the bootloader. It should say "FASTBOOT MODE" in weird (red?) lettering on the screen. Make sure the phone is connected (by USB cable) to your computer.

Note - you can also to do this in the terminal with an ADB command; make sure USB Debugging is checked (Developer Options) and your phone is plugged in. Simply type:

adb reboot rebootloader

Fourth, open up a terminal/command prompt.

Fifth, using the command line, you need to "cd" or "change directory" to where your files are. This might be different depending on what computer you're on. If you are on Ubuntu and they are on the Desktop, do this:

cd Desktop

If they are in your Downloads folder, then try this:

cd Downloads

Then, "cd" or "change directory" again to the folder that you extracted (mysid-imm76k I believe). So, it would be

cd foldername
or
cd mysid-imm76k

(Double check this, because I do not have my folder in front of me at the moment)

Sixth, once at the folder containing the goods, you need type in the following commands. Each command will flash a different component/image required to go to stock. You can copy and paste each command, but if they don't work type them in. There's a general "language" that's being spoken here, so as long as you understand that language you'll be able to get the general jibe of what's going on. Also, make sure each command is COMPLETE before going to the next.

fastboot flash bootloader bootloader-toro-primela03.img
fastboot reboot-bootloader
fastboot flash radio radio-toro-i515.fc05.img
fastboot flash radio-cdma radio-cdma-toro-i515.fc04.img
fastboot –w update image-mysid-imm76k.zip

Seventh, let the phone reboot COMPLETELY to the "Welcome" screen. Then turn the device off and get back to the bootloader (see the third step). Also, don't close the terminal/command prompt window, you still need it!

Eighth, lock the device by using the following command in the terminal/command prompt, and then reboot the bootloader:

fastboot oem lock

You should now see "LOCKED" at the bottom of that bootloader screen on your device. Remember, this wipes your SDcard and everything, but if you're at this point that should be of no concern to you ;).

Ninth, to unlock the device again, simply type in the commands:

fastboot oem unlock
[/INFO]

The former steps should get you back to a 100% stock Galaxy Nexus running 4.0.4 (IMM76K). But what if you want to continue flashing? Well, if you've had enough of rooting/flashing, simply reboot the device and call it a day. If you want to continue, then follow me...

[INFO]To flash a custom recovery in fastboot, make sure you have ADB/fastboot installed and are well acquainted with it. If you followed the prior steps, you're gold.

First, download the recovery's image and place it in a easily accessible folder. You can simply Google search for ClockworkMod recovery or TWRP recovery to get the images. Make sure the image is for TORO (our device) and is actually a ".img" file.

Second, like the prior steps, reboot into the bootloader, have your phone connected, and then open a command prompt/terminal and "cd" or "change directory" to wherever the file is. For example, if it's on the desktop, then:

cd Desktop

Third, once at that location, simply type these commands in the command line:

fastboot flash recovery nameofrecoveryimage.img

Fourth, reboot the bootloader.

Fifth, if you have a rom/GAPPs/everything necessary on your SDcard/phone (which you don't if you're doing this immediately after the prior set of instructions to restore), use the volume toggles on your phone to find "Recovery" or "Recovery Mode" then press the power button to reboot into your custom recovery. Flash as normal. If you don't have the files, reboot the phone and put them on your device, then reboot into the bootloader, go to recovery, and flash.

Note - if you reboot and recovery is not there, simply reflash it. There's an issue with a weird system file that essentially makes a custom recovery not stick. If that's the case, follow the stickied guides to correct that (it involves renaming the file and is, honestly, outside the scope of this guide). (Hence the "permanently flash CWM" option in Wug's, for those keeping score at home.)[/INFO]

Credit for the above is due to everyone who has helped me and this guide.

Last edited:

dmmarck

Retired Moderator
Dec 28, 2011
Visit site

KERNELS!

Kernel #1 - Franco Kernel

In the minds of many, Francisco Franco is the premier kernel developer for the Galaxy Nexus. Thus, it should be of NO SURPRISE AT ALL! that he jumped on the chance to develop a Jelly Bean kernel.

[INFO]Franco Kernel can be found here. As with any kernel, it is good practice to do a cache/dalvik wipe before flashing the zip in recovery. More information about Mr. Franco can be found here.[/INFO]

Note - at the moment, set on boot doesn't work. Of greater concern is the fact that when you "reboot," the MAX CPU in his franco.Kernel updater app "automatically sets" at 1200 MHz. You want to change this immediately, primarily because that 1200 MHz option is not a supported option.

Kernel #2 - Popcorn Kernel v11.5 "JustinBieber"

Another phenomenal kernel for the Galaxy Nexus is the PopcornKernel. Like Franco, they have adapted their work to Jelly Bean and currently it is being featured (as an extra, I believe) as the default kernel of one of the current JB ports.

[INFO]Popcorn Kernel can be found here. As with other kernels, flash the zip in recovery. A cache/dalvik wipe, as always, is highly recommended. To keep up with Popcorn Kernel, please follow along here.[/INFO]

Kernel #3 - Stock JB Kernel, c/o Vicious

In case you wanted to test/try the stock kernel after trying one of the above "custom" kernels, Vicious and RW have made it available in the form of a flashable .zip.

[INFO]To download the stock kernel, please visit the RW Vicious thread here. Currently, it is the second link marked "Stock Flashable JellyBean kernel boot.img format:". Again, give all credit where credit is due and be careful when flashing :).[/INFO]

Kernel #4 - Linaro Jelly Bean

Courtesy of XDA member rogersnm, JB builds are now available with linaro optimizations. I personally know one person who uses the stock kernel with linaro, but franco r207 is also available with the optimizations.

[INFO]For these builds, please see generally this thread. For the stock JB kernel with linaro, please see this post. For franco r207 with linaro, go here. As always, give credit where credit is due and if you enjoy their work buy them a beer![/INFO]

Kernel #5 - Trinity "Der Kernel" Test Builds

Morfic is another big kernel developer and he's been methodically working on test builds of trinity for Jelly Bean. These builds are known as "AT" builds--or "almost trinity. They feature color correction, a variety of neat things, and for the latest release (JB13), fast charge.

[INFO]For Morfic's test builds, please follow along at his main thread. A direct link to his JB builds (under "Experimental") is also found here. If you like his work and wish to support him, please consider purchasing his kernel app, the Trinity Kernel Toolbox. I did and it works great. Also, the nuclear theming (hence "Trinity") is pretty badass. Also note that he has his own boot animation; to go back to the awesome "X," simply unzip your rom's zip, find bootanimation.zip, and place it in the "/data/local" directory to override Trinity's animation. Thanks to 2def for that tip ;).[/iNFO]

Kernel #6 - Imoseyon's Leankernel JB Test Kernel

Another one of the big kernel devs gets into the action. It has most of the leankernel features you love, including fastcharge.

[INFO]To download and follow along with Leankernel, please go here. As with any other kernel, use caution and make sure to wipe for good effect![/INFO]

Goodies :)

Goody Bag #1 - Zero Neck's Custom Jelly Bean Wallpapers

Our very own zero neck, struggling artist-lawyer person, has created these amazing variations on the stock Jelly Bean wallpapers. I suggest you spend at least 20 minutes looking through and trying out different backgrounds, it's a decent way to spend some time :).

[INFO]To download the Jelly Bean wallpaper zip, please go here. Other available packages include Sense 4.0 wallpapers and stock ICS wallpapers. More importantly, be sure to thank zero for his fantastic work. There's nothing like a bit of flair![/INFO]

Last edited:

hyminameisderek

Jul 21, 2011
Visit site
Re: [GUIDE][6/28] Jelly Bean Now! Resources & Discussion

Whats the skinny on Vicious V1 vs V2? The tread is like 80 pages long and I don't see a changelog.

7stringer

I have The Rickets
Feb 1, 2012
Visit site

Vicious, from what I can tell, added Franco as the base Kernel (likely 201) and also added the wifi fix - aka, you won't have to flash the wifi file listed above or flash franco. They should be baked in.

Definitely read the first page of the RW for it to make sure I read that correctly.

EDIT: creccaj1 beat me to it ;-)

dmmarck

Retired Moderator
Dec 28, 2011
Visit site

Whats the skinny on Vicious V1 vs V2? The tread is like 80 pages long and I don't see a changelog.

I'm wondering the same. I lost track of it and am sorting through it now.

I presume that all of the fixes that we've flashed manually are now included...as well as franco kernel.

7stringer

I have The Rickets
Feb 1, 2012
Visit site

Oh, and thanks Dylan for getting this thread up and running so quickly - it will be a time saver for all those interested in everything JB-related :)

I, for one, plan on flashing tonight or waiting till tomorrow to make sure the initial go-to necessities are fixed/working properly. Looks like the big one, wifi, has been fixed, so I'm pleased to see the quick progress.

Reactions: dmmarck

dmmarck

Retired Moderator
Dec 28, 2011
Visit site

Looks like we'll have AXI0M tonight, by dinner or immediately after dinner apparently.

:)

eRod v1.0

Apr 24, 2010
Visit site
Used JB all day and love it. But, I just went back to liquid as I miss too many of the extra features. But JB is awesome.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

ultravisitor

Aug 29, 2010
Visit site

SwiftKey was not working for me last night, so I'm not bothering with it.

ultravisitor

Aug 29, 2010
Visit site

How does the new Stock keyboard compare to SK3? Do you like/dislike it more?

I haven't actually used the stock keyboard much with this version of Android. The new Swype beta is so superior to SwiftKey 3 that I haven't looked at any other keyboard since installing it. I will at some point, though, once I get bored.

MRW1215

Apr 6, 2011
Visit site

Looks like we'll have AXI0M tonight, by dinner or immediately after dinner apparently.

:)

I'm unfamiliar with AXI0M, will this ROM have extra features (like notification bar power toggles, etc.)? Or is this just another "stock" variant?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Very-Annoyed