Anyone thinking about reverting to stock (but rooted) for 4.1?

coolkatz321

Jul 9, 2010
Visit site
So...I've been using each AOKP Milestone as they came out. The battery drain is a little annoying, but it's a great rom otherwise. However, after seeing the JB presentation, I'm considering going back to stock and keeping my phone rooted. Anyone else thinking along the same lines?

PsYcHoNeWb

Feb 17, 2011
Visit site
there are a lot of people using stock 4.1 currently. Check out the rooted forum lol. Running out right now and loving it.

Dropped from my Jelly Bean Galaxy Nexus.

2defmouze

Jul 9, 2011
Visit site
Re: Anyone thinking about reverting to stock (but rooted) for 4.1

Oughtta try a different kernel if your battery drain is abnormal. If you're using Faux's kernel (the one included in AOKP) you'd probably see much improvement switching to Franco's.

All us crackflashers are enjoying a mostly stock JB experience right now, but that's only because we're waiting for the dev community to mod it up, which won't get serious until the source code is released anyways. Still I've never been so happy and impressed with a stock android system.

Worth stressing also that what we've all got is still the "preview" build of Jellybean given out to the devs at Google IO... the full version won't be seen anywhere until mid july as Google said. But for a preview version, it rocks :)

coolkatz321

Jul 9, 2010
Visit site

I left an AOKP rom to grab JB. Not sure how long I will stay stock, but I won't go back to a 4.0x based rom.

Which rom are you using? I'm backing up now and am getting ready to flash. I am way, WAY too impatient to not get it now!

jaguar10301

Mar 29, 2012
Visit site

I put 4.1 on my phone yesterday, today i'm adding the NOVA launcher, and tomorrow i'll probably go back to AOKP, i love JellyBean, I'll love it even more with AOKP.

dmmarck

Retired Moderator
Dec 28, 2011
Visit site

I've had great success with the Vicious JB rom. :)

ekinnyc

Jan 5, 2012
Visit site

ive thought about lock/unroot once vzw ota comes out, to establish a "baseline" and then reroot/unlock right after, but im sure we will be on AOKP JB M3 by then...

Reactions: ejaymd11

ejaymd11

Aug 24, 2011
Visit site

I will when they announce the official OTA, but I'm running it now and oh so in love.

bebbles

May 30, 2012
Visit site

Dont go back to stock. Those of us who are stock have quite a few issues with the phone and it seems like everyone who is rooted, loves theirs! Need to hurry and root mine...

2defmouze

Jul 9, 2011
Visit site

Yeah by the time the OTA comes from Verizon we will have a myriad of ROMs already built from the JB source, we'll have custom, source based kernels doing leaps and bounds over the stock one, and if there is anything at all useful in the verizon OTA (maybe new radios, who knows) we'll have had it leaked and cannibalized and all the goodies available to us crackflashers a good ways before any OTA gets pushed.

This is what the Nexus is all about :)

svfd757

Feb 10, 2012
Visit site
I won't go back to stock unless vzw pushes the official jb update. With that though I am sure aokp will have an official Toro build for my phone long before vzw. I may never go back to stock

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

dmmarck

Retired Moderator
Dec 28, 2011
Visit site

lol I went back to stock twice last night and I hated it with a burning hot passion of a quasar.

But...to each their own :).

Vance14

Aug 17, 2010
Visit site

I am going to flash the vicious v2 ROM, but I am going to use ROM Manager just to make dmmarck roll his eyes. :0)

Reactions: dmmarck

2defmouze

Jul 9, 2011
Visit site

I am going to flash the vicious v2 ROM, but I am going to use ROM Manager just to make dmmarck roll his eyes. :0)

Dmmarck might roll his eyes but you're giving me a gorram aneurysm.. Lol.

Vance14

Aug 17, 2010
Visit site

It has rebooted, and is going through the backup before installing the ROM. So, while I wait, I will ask a stupid question to which I have forgotten the answer: what is the best way to regain superuser after the ROM installs so that I can get Titanium back on and restore my last backup?

dmmarck

Retired Moderator
Dec 28, 2011
Visit site

Considering TiBu softbricked me, I'll let 2def handle this.

I mean it might not have been the issue, but it freezing up my device left no pleasant taste :).

2defmouze

Jul 9, 2011
Visit site

It has rebooted, and is going through the backup before installing the ROM. So, while I wait, I will ask a stupid question to which I have forgotten the answer: what is the best way to regain superuser after the ROM installs so that I can get Titanium back on and restore my last backup?

Sorry wish I could help but I have this thing where I'm allergic to people who use ROM Manager....

jk (not really) but if I'm not mistaken v2 has root built in. Read the OP for the ROM :)

EDIT: And don't you dare even think about restoring system / google app data with Tibu..... most user apps+data, fine. System/Google data, NO