Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree42Likes

Dude you've got to learn to do it yourself. Seriously. I had a buddy who would do the rooting and ROM flashing on my old Fascinate, and I was dependent on him to fix it when I soft-bricked it, until he was out of town one day and I was screwed. He taught me you need to read, read, and read some more. Follow the instructions to a tee, and over time you'll learn intuition is handling your phone. Since then, it's been well over a year, I've all it all on my own, and haven't needed his help.

Point is, should something go wrong, you need to know how to fix it yourself. And if you ever need to order a replacement phone, you need to know how to flash factory image and unroot and lock the bootloader back, or you will face a full phone retail fee. Look in the stickies and go from there. The accomplished feeling is worth it I promise you.

Sent from my Jelly Beaned Galaxy Nexus.
    dmmarck likes this.

Default Re: Is there someone I can pay to root and jb my nexus?

I'm a total noob and have thought of paying for rooting my Samsung Note 2. I've read how to root but I'm in a major pickle. I have both an iMac and a Macbook Pro that runs Mountain Lion which does not play nice with Android devices at all. Neither of Mac's recognizes my Note 2. A few forums have noted this problem. I'd like to root my phone but since I can't get either of my computers to recognize it through USB I'm technically screwed. Any suggestions? Otherwise I'm in the boat having to pay someone that has a non-Apple product to root my phone. I don't see a way around it at this point.

Quote Originally Posted by gregs1213 View Post
    There is someone on craiglist in my area that offers to root phones for $25 or so.. Not too bad of rate.. It's so much more fun doing it yourself. You understand what rooting really means, and have a better concept of the android system in general.
    It is a lot of fun. I would think it would be a lot more fun to do it and get paid for it, though.

Quote Originally Posted by dmmarck View Post
    I understand it is a "skill", but charging goes against the whole open source spirit in a big way imo.

Sent from Oliver, Destroyer of Worlds & Connoisseur of Bean-Shaped Confections
    I understand that you're willing to help for free. That's fabulous. I get it.

What I don't get is the negativity for someone charging for their time. He's not charging for the software, so it's not an open source "spirit" thing. He's charging for his time and expertise, something that has value. The transaction is between him and the purchaser and I don't think we should be in judgement.

Hey, I pay to have a guy mow my lawn which I could do for free and requires NO expertise. He doesn't do it any better or quicker. Yet, I don't see my gardener as taking advantage of me. He's providing a service and his time and I pay for it.

But, if you feel the urge to come to my house and mow my lawn for free, I'll give you my phone number pronto.
    mhpspeed and Erckul like this.

Now that he walked you through it you should walk me through it lol Alexoliva57@yahoo.com

Global Posts
    267 Global Posts
    ROM
    AOKP (M5) Franco (M4)

Quote Originally Posted by davidnc View Post
    There is a person in this area that want to charge people 50 dollars to .Which is total BS I think as others mentioned above.That person needs to be "beat down" on for taking advantage of others.
    I know this thread is old, and I may be getting a little political, so I apologize in advance.

My feeling that is if that someone really wants to root/rom their phone, but doesn't have or want to take the time to do; then go ahead and pay a stranger to do it. It is in no way taking advantage of someone. There are almost endless sources describing how to do this, so it's not like a person wouldn't be able to do it them self. If they have the money and the other person is willing to do it, it's a win-win. It's just that there are so many people willing to help and so many sources describing how to do it; I don't see how it can be considered "taking advantage".

I have tried to root my alcatel v860 (vodafone smart II) and I have tried various software and guides but they do not seem to work on this model.

Any help or guide that would show me how to do it would be greatly appreciated.

Have a good day and thanks for reading this.

In always willing to help people out, but I continually find myself bemused by people who don't want to put in the effort to root and unlock their devices. Simply Googling "how to root device xyz" will provide links to all the necessary information, including toolkits, if you're looking for a quick solution.

Now, I completely understand people with hardware issues... someone posted about having Apple computers, and how they don't really play nice with Android, but outside of that, there's really no excuse.

IMO, if you're not willing to learn how to do these things, then you have no business being rooted in the first place. You're more likely to run into serious issues with kernels, ROMs, and mods, and not be able to recover from them. All that does is require other forum users or devs to spend extra time troubleshooting your problem, because you have no idea what you're doing. Learning the process helps you help yourself, and saves a lot of headaches.

I hate to be so negative, but I see too many people, on a daily basis, asking for help with simple issues, but not being able to provide any information about that issue, because they've taken the easy way out. The most prevalent example is people complaining about "bricking" after flashing a ROM. It turns out that most of those people didn't/don't wipe properly. Situations like this can be easily avoided by learning to root and flash manually.

/rant

Quote Originally Posted by Jason O Callaghan View Post
    I have tried to root my alcatel v860 (vodafone smart II) and I have tried various software and guides but they do not seem to work on this model.

Any help or guide that would show me how to do it would be greatly appreciated.

Have a good day and thanks for reading this.
    I found this http://www.unlockroot.com/

It was linked in an Xda thread. I'm sure there are manual guides available, but I didn't immediately locate one. Hope this helps.

Hi,

I was wondering if you could help me root my phone. I've been searching and can't seem to find anything on how to root my phone using a Mac.

I have a new Verizon Samsung Galaxy Note 3 and a Macbook Air running OSX Mavericks. It'd probably be much easier if I had a PC, but I don't. Please help!!!
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12