Downloaded Vicious JB v3 Stuck in Nexus 7? screen

Murph5150

Jul 31, 2010
Visit site
So I downloaded it off ROM Manager and now the phone won't go to the main screen. It's stuck in the "X" logo/icon.

What do I do to get this thing working again?

dmmarck

Retired Moderator
Dec 28, 2011
Visit site
So I downloaded it off ROM Manager and now the phone won't go to the main screen. It's stuck in the "X" logo/icon.

What do I do to get this thing working again?

Let it load. It can take a while. If it keeps rebooting, going to Google, going to the X, then repeating, then we have a problem.

kedesa

Apr 19, 2010
Visit site
I am running the same rom. I let it go for about 20 minutes before I pulled the battery. Put battery back in and it booted up in about 5 minutes. I cleared caches on the second try. I did not clear anything before I flashed. I think that is where I messed up. After that I have had no problems. I don't have the best battery life, but I have crazy screen on time. I think it is just the way I use my phone.

Murph5150

Jul 31, 2010
Visit site
I am running the same rom. I let it go for about 20 minutes before I pulled the battery. Put battery back in and it booted up in about 5 minutes. I cleared caches on the second try. I did not clear anything before I flashed. I think that is where I messed up. After that I have had no problems. I don't have the best battery life, but I have crazy screen on time. I think it is just the way I use my phone.

I did a batt pull and it's still taking over 20 minutes.

dmmarck

Retired Moderator
Dec 28, 2011
Visit site
Not everything, it had one box prechecked and I proceeded to install.

I mean like this...

"I went into Rom Manager, tapped to download it, the box that popped up said ____, I did _____, and then I saw ____."

Here's what I want you to do. Did you make a backup before flashing it? Do you have a backup on your phone?

Murph5150

Jul 31, 2010
Visit site
I mean like this...

"I went into Rom Manager, tapped to download it, the box that popped up said ____, I did _____, and then I saw ____."

Here's what I want you to do. Did you make a backup before flashing it? Do you have a backup on your phone?

I did do a back-up. That's all I can concretely say. I don't recall the exact steps I took installing the ROM.

dmmarck

Retired Moderator
Dec 28, 2011
Visit site
I did do a back-up. That's all I can concretely say. I don't recall the exact steps I took installing the ROM.

Pull the battery, turn the phone off.

Hold down volume UP, volume DOWN, and power simultaneously. Let it reboot into recovery.

Let me know when you're there :).

dmmarck

Retired Moderator
Dec 28, 2011
Visit site

Now, do your wipes. Wipe data, cache, dalvik, and then go to mounts and system and format system.

Then, go to backups/restore and find your backup and then restore it. If it's not there (or if you want to try again), we'll install the rom manually.

dmmarck

Retired Moderator
Dec 28, 2011
Visit site
Yes, it's restoring from the backup I made for it today. Will I have to redo the Vicious JB ROM download?

No. I want the backup to be restored so I know exactly what you're playing with. Go to your meeting after the backup restores (reboot it) and then we can walk you through the manual installation.

Don't use ROM Manager unless you're doubley sure about each and everything. It's weird, but doing it manually is much, much more comforting :).

Murph5150

Jul 31, 2010
Visit site
No. I want the backup to be restored so I know exactly what you're playing with. Go to your meeting after the backup restores (reboot it) and then we can walk you through the manual installation.

Don't use ROM Manager unless you're doubley sure about each and everything. It's weird, but doing it manually is much, much more comforting :).

Sounds good. I just bought it. Hate to have wasted the $$$ on it if I can safely install JB on it.

dmmarck

Retired Moderator
Dec 28, 2011
Visit site
Sounds good. I just bought it. Hate to have wasted the $$$ on it if I can safely install JB on it.

It's great to learn from, but in the end nothing beats manual installation.

I'll keep my eyes out for your return, but here's what you absolutely need to do.

(1) Make sure that the rom actually downloaded. Get a file explorer type app (Astro, ES File Explorer) and look around. It should be in either the /sdcard/Downloads folder or /sdcard/clockworkmod. Just look around and verify that you have the rom. If you're unsure, download it again or download it manually and place it on your sdcard.

(2) Once that's taken care of, simply hit "Reboot into Recovery" in ROM Manager. Or...you can power down your phone and get into the bootloader by volume UP + volume DOWN + power, navigating to recovery mode, and pressing power.

(3) Wipe data/factory reset. Do that like 3 times, just to be certain.

(4) Wipe cache partition. Again, be certain.

(5) Go to Advanced => wipe dalvik cache.

(6) Go back to the main menu, go to mounts/storage, and tape "format system." Do that.

(7) Go back to the main menu, go to "install zip from SDcard," find the downloaded rom (that you verified earlier) and install that.

(8) Reboot system and setup your phone. Be patient.

Reactions: oxymoron

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jm_rookie2