Downloaded Vicious JB v3 Stuck in Nexus 7? screen

oxymoron

It's been real...
Sep 5, 2011
Visit site
Hmm... looks like I was a little late replying in your other thread, suggesting that you wait, lol.

So, while DM is right on... I still suggest you wait. In the least, see if there's an md5 for the ROM and make sure it matches before you flash it. Downloading through your phone/RM can sometimes leave you with incomplete files. If the md5 doesn't match, keep downloading until it does.

I had to download my first JB port four times before the md5 matched. I suggest you wait flashing JB until source based ROM's are available, but if you must flash a port, just make sure it's a good download... and follow DM's instruction.

*clever signature*

dmmarck

Retired Moderator
Dec 28, 2011
Visit site
I'm back. Any experience installing using ROM MANAGER?

Don't use ROM Manager for something that requires care and consideration like an experimental Jelly Bean port. Once source is released and roms are much more predictable you can use it.

Until then, the only way I recommend doing this is via manual recovery.

Reactions: 2defmouze

Murph5150

Jul 31, 2010
Visit site
Don't use ROM Manager for something that requires care and consideration like an experimental Jelly Bean port. Once source is released and roms are much more predictable you can use it.

Until then, the only way I recommend doing this is via manual recovery.

Some people have used it successfully. Is there a trick?

dmmarck

Retired Moderator
Dec 28, 2011
Visit site
Some people have used it successfully. Is there a trick?

I have no idea, I do it manually. Manually works. I know it works and plenty of people here know it works. It assures you do it correctly and that you know 100% what's going on at all times. ROM Manager doesn't; it's great for opening the doors but it's not great for stuff that requires care and attention.

Jelly Bean does; I've been on all of the ports (well, until the last couple appeared) and have went to hell and back with it. I cannot in my good mind and conscience recommend flashing something like Jelly Bean with ROM Manager. There's too much risk involved and spending the extra minute or two doing it manually pays off tremendously.

Reactions: 2defmouze

Murph5150

Jul 31, 2010
Visit site
I have no idea, I do it manually. Manually works. I know it works and plenty of people here know it works. It assures you do it correctly and that you know 100% what's going on at all times. ROM Manager doesn't; it'd great for opening the doors but it's not great for stuff that requires care and attention.

Jelly Bean does; I've been on all of the ports (well, until the last couple appeared) and have went to hell and back with it. I cannot in my good mind and conscience recommend flashing something like Jelly Bean with ROM Manager. There's too much risk involved and spending the extra minute or two doing it manually pays off tremendously.

With all the rave reviews rom mgr got I never would've thought that.

dmmarck

Retired Moderator
Dec 28, 2011
Visit site
I gave it one more good college try and it worked :) I'm packing JellyBean ;)

Just be aware that it probably didn't wipe it thoroughly nor did it format system (unless it's changed), so if you run into issues I highly, highly, highly recommend redoing it manually.

Enjoy Jelly Bean though and let us know if you have any questions. :)

Murph5150

Jul 31, 2010
Visit site
Just be aware that it probably didn't wipe it thoroughly nor did it format system (unless it's changed), so if you run into issues I highly, highly, highly recommend redoing it manually.

Enjoy Jelly Bean though and let us know if you have any questions. :)

I appreciate the advice. If I encounter any bugs, I'll do it the long way. I just felt like an idiot reading them last time. Hopefully ROM Manager did right by me.

naudan

Mar 28, 2011
Visit site
It's great to learn from, but in the end nothing beats manual installation.

I'll keep my eyes out for your return, but here's what you absolutely need to do.

(1) Make sure that the rom actually downloaded. Get a file explorer type app (Astro, ES File Explorer) and look around. It should be in either the /sdcard/Downloads folder or /sdcard/clockworkmod. Just look around and verify that you have the rom. If you're unsure, download it again or download it manually and place it on your sdcard.

(2) Once that's taken care of, simply hit "Reboot into Recovery" in ROM Manager. Or...you can power down your phone and get into the bootloader by volume UP + volume DOWN + power, navigating to recovery mode, and pressing power.

(3) Wipe data/factory reset. Do that like 3 times, just to be certain.

(4) Wipe cache partition. Again, be certain.

(5) Go to Advanced => wipe dalvik cache.

(6) Go back to the main menu, go to mounts/storage, and tape "format system." Do that.

(7) Go back to the main menu, go to "install zip from SDcard," find the downloaded rom (that you verified earlier) and install that.

(8) Reboot system and setup your phone. Be patient.

Sorry guys -- don't mean to distract the thread here --- but I love this quick write up on how to flash a rom..

One question on Step #6 -- I haven't seen that mentioned many places, most people stop at step #5 then go straight to step #7.

Is Step #6 necessary all the time, or only in this case because hes trying to restore to a backup? Also - can you explain what that does? does it wipe the SD partition on the nexus?

dmmarck

Retired Moderator
Dec 28, 2011
Visit site
Sorry guys -- don't mean to distract the thread here --- but I love this quick write up on how to flash a rom..

One question on Step #6 -- I haven't seen that mentioned many places, most people stop at step #5 then go straight to step #7.

Is Step #6 necessary all the time, or only in this case because hes trying to restore to a backup? Also - can you explain what that does? does it wipe the SD partition on the nexus?

I've seen many devs mention it and I myself use it for flashing new roms (and now with dirty flashing--see my Tips post).

I think it's necessary (and thus, I recommend it) when flashing any new rom, but especially with JB roms--even "updating" from say Jelly Belly 2.1 to Jelly Belly 2.2. I believe the main purpose is to wipe out the system partition so you get a cleaner install. It's especially good when going from 4.0.4 to 4.1...you want NOTHING left behind, lest you have issues down the road.

Hope that helps!