Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree5Likes
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Global Posts
    67 Global Posts
    ROM
    BuglessBeast JB 4.1.1

Default Best Combo of JB Rom & Kernel for Battery Life

I'm sure this has been talked about before bout I'd like to pose this question for all to discuss to get some good feedback. I'm Rom'd using a the newer 4.1.1 JB ASOP with a 3.0.31 I'd hope stock kernel. Since switching to JB 2wks ago & trying several of the rom & kernel's out there I seemingly can't find a good combo that provides any better battery life than I was getting with the 4.04 OTA update. In fact its almost worse than before..... maybe I'm doing something wrong as I've used stock, the kernel that came with the rom, diff ones running with roms to no avail. Plz AC forum community gimme some ideas or your thoughts. Thnx everyone!!

VZW Galaxy Nexus Rooted & Rom'd on JB 4.1.1
    Thanked by:
    onebigjoke likes this.

ROM
    CM10.1 Fitsnugly AOKP

From my experience, the JB ROMS don't get as good battery life as with ICS. I am not sure if this is due to the Google Now integration or not. Bottom line is to get full functionality from Google Now, you need to allow location services and Google services full access to your phone in order to have it tailor to your habits. I have been using Vicious V2 since day one with trinity kernel's with no issues. Better battery life than stock or Franco, but still not as good as ICS so far.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Android Central Forums
    Thanked by:
  3. Thread Author  Thread Author    #3  

Global Posts
    67 Global Posts
    ROM
    BuglessBeast JB 4.1.1

Default Re: Best Combo of JB Rom & Kernel for Battery Life

Ya I figured this was true with JB but it's just hard to understand how all these other people are getting double or triple the previous battery life now. I'd like to have something manageable enough to get me thru the day with avg to above avg use & not see it die. I have the 2100 mhr Battery too. Oh wells was hoping for better news or more posts to grasp some different ideas to help.
    Victory Is Mine!!

Global Posts
    278 Global Posts
    ROM
    4.1.1 JB

Someone said the Faux kernel gets really good battery life but its OC'd to 1800mhz and I didnt find it very stable.

Part of the trick on kernels that are OC'd is to use a CPU app like SetCPU to put governors on the speed limits and thus helping battery life.

Right now im on the Vicious JB 4.1.1 v5 that was released this afternoon. It has the Imoseyon's Jelly Bean Kernel which is OC'd to 1,650mhz but I have SetCPU set at 1200. Hoping this kernel will battery.
    Current Set up: Black S3 on BoneStock v3.4

Global Posts
    155 Global Posts

I'm on Vicious V5 also, the kernel is a lean kernel. The standby battery life seems about the same as stock 4.0.4 but the battery consumption when do any thing seems much worse. I wiped my battery stats when I did the install so it's possible that the battery life issue is a red herring. I'm going to let the battery discharge completely so that it can get a good measure of the maximum battery life. I have a 3800ma battery in mine, makes a huge difference. They only cost $20 so there is no excuse for living with the stock battery or the 2100ma battery.

Global Posts
    257 Global Posts
    ROM
    AOKP (M5) Franco (M4)

My battery life on JB has been pretty horrible, my is waking from sleep a lot, and I really don't know why.

ROM
    Stock

3800 battery...$20? What brand, which retailer?

Sent from my (pretty awesome) SCH-i515

ROM
    Jelly!

I just picked up the Hyperion one for $20 on Amazon. Jelly is not nice to my battery, and I need juice for travel.

Sent from my ASUS Transformer Pad TF300T
    dmmarck likes this.

ROM
    Super Beans n Kernels

Quote Originally Posted by bigdaddytee View Post
    3800 battery...$20? What brand, which retailer?

Sent from my (pretty awesome) SCH-i515
    This one has NFC for $20 shipped. Bought one for camping trips etc. Couldn't live with the bulk for daily use lol.

Thanked by:
  10. Thread Author  Thread Author    #10  

Global Posts
    67 Global Posts
    ROM
    BuglessBeast JB 4.1.1

Sounds like were all in for it with that batt life of these phones with the new JB.....seems more hungry to use that battery when in use. But it makes no sense to me why all the new roms out there even the 4.1.1 is causing all devices(GSM too) to wake from sleep all the time. Hopefully once everything has been gone thru for a bit we can get more solid usage as that was a key ingredient to making JB better was how it shut things down to improve batt life along with all the performance enhancements.

I think the "best" kernel and ROM combination is going to vary per phone. You're just going to have to try out different combinations and see what works.
    dmmarck likes this.
    Retired Moderator

ROM
    What do you think?

Quote Originally Posted by ultravisitor View Post
    I think the "best" kernel and ROM combination is going to vary per phone. You're just going to have to try out different combinations and see what works.
    This is full of wisdom.
    Thanked by:
  13. Thread Author  Thread Author    #13  

Global Posts
    67 Global Posts
    ROM
    BuglessBeast JB 4.1.1

I think I'm gonna go back to ICS @ this time for better battery life and stability imo but will most def make the move back to JB as its just to smooth, intuitive, and prob the most complete the Android OS has been. This is why apple is sue happy(again just my opinion) & Microsoft is in a rush to bring out WP8. But sad face on having to go back to ICS for now

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus

Quote Originally Posted by ConTejas View Post
    This one has NFC for $20 shipped. Bought one for camping trips etc. Couldn't live with the bulk for daily use lol.

Good looking out on this...I ordered one last night

Quote Originally Posted by sniperservice View Post
    Good looking out on this...I ordered one last night
    How much better is the extended battery? Could I expect to see a pretty big gain in life?

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

Global Posts
    278 Global Posts
    ROM
    4.1.1 JB

Im running bugless beast with the Jame Bond 3.3 kernel and this is the best set up so far regarding battery life.

This phone has dismal battery life. Changing roms and kernels have little effect. I use the hell outta my phone and am lucky to get 8 hrs on any software. To combat the problem, I have 2 reg and 1 ext batt and constantly rotating them between my phone and charger.

I put up with it because this is the best phone out there. It is what it is.

Global Posts
    278 Global Posts
    ROM
    4.1.1 JB

Quote Originally Posted by davey11 View Post
    This phone has dismal battery life. Changing roms and kernels have little effect. I use the hell outta my phone and am lucky to get 8 hrs on any software....
    If you're looking for huge gains, you're right. But kernels seem to help more then roms alone and you can get +/- 15% difference in battery life with the right set up.

ROM
    "Shiny" Stock Android

I'm using bugless with Franco 220 and I have to say I am impressed.

Current run with Bluetooth/wifi on, live wallpaper, mix of 3g/4g and wifi data connectivity.

Approaching 26 hours with 2 hours on screen. 10% remains. Could easily run 13 hours with 3 hours + onscreen if needed.
    I'm happy with that.

Thanked by:
    scubamike likes this.

Global Posts
    257 Global Posts
    ROM
    AOKP (M5) Franco (M4)

Quote Originally Posted by kca2000 View Post
    I'm using bugless with Franco 220 and I have to say I am impressed.

Current run with Bluetooth/wifi on, live wallpaper, mix of 3g/4g and wifi data connectivity.

Approaching 26 hours with 2 hours on screen. 10% remains. Could easily run 13 hours with 3 hours + onscreen if needed.
    I'm happy with that.

There is no way in hell my phone could do that.. I think some phones just get better batteries than others... What are you doing with the 2 hours on screen time? I lose about 1% a minute surfing the web.
    Retired Moderator

ROM
    What do you think?

Mine most recently...

ROM
    "Shiny" Stock Android

Quote Originally Posted by gregs1213 View Post
    There is no way in hell my phone could do that.. I think some phones just get better batteries than others... What are you doing with the 2 hours on screen time? I lose about 1% a minute surfing the web.
    This is with the extended battery as well. The one sold by verizon.
    Screen time is mainly text. Web. Email. Forums. 15 min of phone calls. Few pics.
    I didn't get a shot before I hit it for 20 min with the car charger. But the pics give you an idea.

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Best Combo of JB Rom & Kernel for Battery Life-uploadfromtaptalk1342568086271.jpg   Best Combo of JB Rom & Kernel for Battery Life-uploadfromtaptalk1342568105586.jpg   Best Combo of JB Rom & Kernel for Battery Life-uploadfromtaptalk1342568139859.jpg  

Global Posts
    257 Global Posts
    ROM
    AOKP (M5) Franco (M4)

Quote Originally Posted by kca2000 View Post
    This is with the extended battery as well. The one sold by verizon.
    Screen time is mainly text. Web. Email. Forums. 15 min of phone calls. Few pics.
    I didn't get a shot before I hit it for 20 min with the car charger. But the pics give you an idea.

I had the extended battery as well (but lost it).. I honestly couldn't even really tell which battery I had when I would switch batteries in and out.. maybe 15% more battery life..

ROM
    "Shiny" Stock Android

Quote Originally Posted by gregs1213 View Post
    I had the extended battery as well (but lost it).. I honestly couldn't even really tell which battery I had when I would switch batteries in and out.. maybe 15% more battery life..
    I agree. It's not a mind blowing difference. But like you mentioned, its slightly better.
    My main killers are 3g/4g connections and gps. If I use wifi all day between work and home and no gps onscreen jumps to 3.5 hours with about 18 hours standby. Really had good luck in that department with this phone.

Global Posts
    373 Global Posts
    ROM
    changes all the time

haven't tried any other rom other than Jelly Belly....i am on v3.6 now with frankos 220 kernel.
    last night from the time i left work to when i went to bed. left work with roughly 70% battery, had 1% when i put it on the charger at night.
    it was 7 hours 20-something minutes, 2 hours 35 minutes screen on time, that is mostly forum browsing, downloaded a few apps from the web, and installed them and rebooted, did about 40 minutes of Gmusic streaming, downloaded a song, took a few pics, did some google plus posting/checking ect. it was probably 50/50 wifi/4g, some texting, lots of forum browsing/posting.
    it was a very busy afternoon...and JB got me though more than ICS ever would have.
    I'll give it a good go today with a 100% battery and post tonight.
    You know your rooted when bootloops don't scare you anymore.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast