Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Page 3 of 13 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast
Results 51 to 75 of 302
Like Tree92Likes
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #51  
    dmmarck's Avatar
    Retired Moderator

    Posts
    10,928 Posts
    Global Posts
    10,930 Global Posts
    ROM
    What do you think?

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by dually View Post
    I wondered about that.
    The archive manager that is included with Ubuntu is great for this.

    Sent swiftly by Oliver using Android Central Forums
  2. #52  
    zero neck's Avatar
    The Ever-Living

    Posts
    5,090 Posts
    Global Posts
    5,097 Global Posts
    ROM
    KANG

    Default Re: [GUIDE][Ubuntu] Compiling Android from Source

    yo d, if you want to add themed elements to the rom, you can compile that straight into the rom, right? you just replace the themed bits with the standard ones and go along as usual?


    * INCREDIBLE * MECHA * TORO * GROUPER * GALAXY S3 *
    * [TORO RADIOS] * [NEXUS WALLS] * [GROUPER GUIDE] * [CHATTER] *
  3. Thread Author  Thread Author    #53  
    dmmarck's Avatar
    Retired Moderator

    Posts
    10,928 Posts
    Global Posts
    10,930 Global Posts
    ROM
    What do you think?

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by zero neck View Post
    yo d, if you want to add themed elements to the rom, you can compile that straight into the rom, right? you just replace the themed bits with the standard ones and go along as usual?
    Correct. Most of your theming is done right within the systemui, which is decompiled and modified.

    Sent swiftly by Oliver using Android Central Forums
    Thanked by:
    zero neck likes this.
  4. #54  
    cj100570's Avatar
    Spoken Word

    Posts
    408 Posts
    Global Posts
    449 Global Posts
    ROM
    Jelly Bean

    Default Re: [GUIDE][Ubuntu] Compiling Android from Source

    Quote Originally Posted by khalid.hart View Post
    First things first, thanks for the awesome guide.

    When I use either of the make commands I get an error stating that I am "attempting to build with the incorrect version of java." It states that my version is 1.6.0_24 and the correct version is just 1.6. I followed the guide 100% and just copied and pasted the commands as you wrote them. Any ideas on the error? I am running Ubuntu 12.04 64-bit.

    Thanks
    I was having the same issue also. This guide here sorted me out How to install Oracle Java 6 JDK on Ubuntu 12.04 Marco Lackovic
    It is better to be pissed off than to be pissed on!
    Thanked by:
  5. #55  
    cj100570's Avatar
    Spoken Word

    Posts
    408 Posts
    Global Posts
    449 Global Posts
    ROM
    Jelly Bean

    Default Re: [GUIDE][Ubuntu] Compiling Android from Source

    Alas my endeavor has produced error after error. Time for sleep. Maybe I'll try again or just wait on that OTA from Verizon. Or perhaps someone here will share 1 of their magnificent builds.
    It is better to be pissed off than to be pissed on!
  6. #56  

    Default Re: [GUIDE][Ubuntu] Compiling Android from Source

    Excellent write up! I have been dabbling about with the source myself since it was released. Building on Fedora 17 since I prefer that to Ubuntu (the process is largely the same).

    Some of the permissions problems may come from running the extracting the binary drivers as root (you have "sudo sh script.sh" specified). I don't know of any reason you need to be root to extract the binaries. I extracted them as my user.

    The part that I have been trying to find more info on is the Google apps stuff. I'd like to do as much myself as I can (I'm still a little unsure about installing some random zip that I cannot verify on my phone). Anyone have any information about how the gapps .zip files are made? I have managed to unpack the 4.1 factory image for the Nexus7 (the 4.1.1 images aren't up yet) and could copy gapps from that. I have looked at some gapps .zip files I have downloaded and there is a bit more than just the APKs. Anyone have any pointers about this?

    Also, has anyone played with pulling in any of the Verizon stuff? Not sure what I might want. Definitely not Backup Assistant. MyVerizon can be useful, though.

    The hardest part of this for me is finding the information I want/need. Someone knows it, it's just a matter of tracking it down. I want to do more than just download a zip that someone else has put together.
    Thanked by 3:
  7. Thread Author  Thread Author    #57  
    dmmarck's Avatar
    Retired Moderator

    Posts
    10,928 Posts
    Global Posts
    10,930 Global Posts
    ROM
    What do you think?

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by plasmoidia View Post
    Excellent write up! I have been dabbling about with the source myself since it was released. Building on Fedora 17 since I prefer that to Ubuntu (the process is largely the same).

    Some of the permissions problems may come from running the extracting the binary drivers as root (you have "sudo sh script.sh" specified). I don't know of any reason you need to be root to extract the binaries. I extracted them as my user.

    The part that I have been trying to find more info on is the Google apps stuff. I'd like to do as much myself as I can (I'm still a little unsure about installing some random zip that I cannot verify on my phone). Anyone have any information about how the gapps .zip files are made? I have managed to unpack the 4.1 factory image for the Nexus7 (the 4.1.1 images aren't up yet) and could copy gapps from that. I have looked at some gapps .zip files I have downloaded and there is a bit more than just the APKs. Anyone have any pointers about this?

    Also, has anyone played with pulling in any of the Verizon stuff? Not sure what I might want. Definitely not Backup Assistant. MyVerizon can be useful, though.

    The hardest part of this for me is finding the information I want/need. Someone knows it, it's just a matter of tracking it down. I want to do more than just download a zip that someone else has put together.
    That's a great point about running it as sudo and not regular. Thanks!

    Sent swiftly by Oliver using Android Central Forums
  8. #58  

    Default Re: [GUIDE][Ubuntu] Compiling Android from Source

    Quote Originally Posted by dmmarck View Post
    Should work. Also try a lowercase - r, was headed out the door when I replied. Keep me posted!

    Sent swiftly by Oliver using Android Central Forums
    Apparently root gets the permissions when you run the script with "sudo." I just deleted the folder, removed "sudo" from the "sudo sh nameofthebinaryfileyouneedtoextract.sh" and it worked.

    Thanks for the guide. Just tried to build a zip and I got error 127. Back to google search.

    Edit: Nevermind; the person above me said same thing haha
    Thanked by:
  9. Thread Author  Thread Author    #59  
    dmmarck's Avatar
    Retired Moderator

    Posts
    10,928 Posts
    Global Posts
    10,930 Global Posts
    ROM
    What do you think?

    Default

    Thanks to both of you! Putting sudo in is basically second nature at this point, so my apologies!

    I have updated that post to reflect it accordingly. Thanks again!

    Sent swiftly by Oliver using Android Central Forums
  10. #60  
    TauSigmaNova's Avatar
    Domo Arigato, Mr Roboto!

    Posts
    320 Posts
    ROM
    Nexus5Experience2.1.1 LTE

    Default Re: [GUIDE][Ubuntu] Compiling Android from Source

    Hey, DM, great guide.

    I'm currently running a Windows Machine (Win 7, 8Core i7 @2.8, 8GB RAM, 1.5TB HDD) and wanted to build JB really badly! Could I install Oracle VirtualBox and build Android by running Ubuntu on a Virtual Machine?

    Secondly, I want to build it for a different device. The latest OS my device officially had was 2.2.3 but through our lovely devs we have 4.0.4 currently running quite smoothly. I want to build JB for it though I have no idea exactly how I would do it. I need to have my device (thunderc) be read or w/e for it to work, but I know very little about Linux. Any insight on my situation?
    DEVICES:
    LG Nexus 4 [E-960] Android 4.4.4 CM11S [Soon Retired]
    OnePlus One [Coming Soon]
    Samsung Galaxy Tab 10.1 [RIP]
    LG Optimus V [RIP]
    Thanked by:
  11. Thread Author  Thread Author    #61  
    dmmarck's Avatar
    Retired Moderator

    Posts
    10,928 Posts
    Global Posts
    10,930 Global Posts
    ROM
    What do you think?

    Default Re: [GUIDE][Ubuntu] Compiling Android from Source

    Quote Originally Posted by plasmoidia View Post
    Excellent write up! I have been dabbling about with the source myself since it was released. Building on Fedora 17 since I prefer that to Ubuntu (the process is largely the same).

    Some of the permissions problems may come from running the extracting the binary drivers as root (you have "sudo sh script.sh" specified). I don't know of any reason you need to be root to extract the binaries. I extracted them as my user.

    [HL]The part that I have been trying to find more info on is the Google apps stuff. I'd like to do as much myself as I can (I'm still a little unsure about installing some random zip that I cannot verify on my phone). Anyone have any information about how the gapps .zip files are made? I have managed to unpack the 4.1 factory image for the Nexus7 (the 4.1.1 images aren't up yet) and could copy gapps from that. I have looked at some gapps .zip files I have downloaded and there is a bit more than just the APKs. Anyone have any pointers about this?[/HL]

    Also, has anyone played with pulling in any of the Verizon stuff? Not sure what I might want. Definitely not Backup Assistant. MyVerizon can be useful, though.

    The hardest part of this for me is finding the information I want/need. Someone knows it, it's just a matter of tracking it down. I want to do more than just download a zip that someone else has put together.
    My apologies for not responding at length earlier, I was out and about .

    Here's the basics of a GAPPs package (if you haven't already broken one down):

    • A META-INF containing an install script
    • A system folder containing the apps and their associated files. The big thing to look for here is the apps are in system/app.


    There may be other folders--I've seen an "optional" folder--but really what you need (like any flashable zip) is the stuff you want on your phone (the apps) and the way to get it there (the updater script).

    What I do (and have done) is check out the latest GAPPs--say Jelly Belly's 7/14 package, and look and what's changed or how they do things, then I try to see how I can do that myself. I learn by analogy, so comparing two packages and figuring out how to make my own is the best method that I personally can utilize.

    For "solid" GAPPs, I would recommend the above--Jelly Belly--as well as Bugless Beast if you want to incorporate them into the rom (which I dissuade, but may be easier for your own, personal use).

    For GAPPs issues, the general issues were FC'ing and a few things not working. Off the top of my head, here are the issues I and "real" developers ran into:

    • Google Talk - force closes
    • Camera - doesn't work, Gallery force closes
    • Google Now - at first, it was missing a system/lib file as well as a language pack
    • Auto Restore (from market) - broken, except for BB and I believe Jelly Belly now


    There were others, but those are the big ones off the top of my head. The AOSP release was fairly "buggy." Could that be attributed to some "error filled" builds? Possibly. I've read that most people think a build's not solid unless it's guaranteed to be so, and that guarantee comes with hardware that I and a lot of people don't have (16gb of ram at a minimum being one; also, the ideal '-j#' is -j16 and higher). But as of this moment, it appears that most devs have figured out how to fill the cracks, so I recommend seeing what they have done, give proper credit, and working it yourself .

    Quote Originally Posted by TauSigmaNova View Post
    Hey, DM, great guide.

    I'm currently running a Windows Machine (Win 7, 8Core i7 @2.8, 8GB RAM, 1.5TB HDD) and wanted to build JB really badly! Could I install Oracle VirtualBox and build Android by running Ubuntu on a Virtual Machine?

    Secondly, I want to build it for a different device. The latest OS my device officially had was 2.2.3 but through our lovely devs we have 4.0.4 currently running quite smoothly. I want to build JB for it though I have no idea exactly how I would do it. I need to have my device (thunderc) be read or w/e for it to work, but I know very little about Linux. Any insight on my situation?
    First off, thanks!

    Yes, you can build on a VM machine. I believe the official AOSP link has a bit more about it; you look to have more than enough ram to handle it, so you should be fine.

    For your other question, do you know if your device is supported by AOSP? If it is, then I suggest syncing with the master (remember, we have two options--master and a specific branch), then when you get to "lunch" use that and the series of commands after to select your device.

    What you may have more success with is this path--do AOKP or CM build roms for your device? If they do, you can sync to their "gits" and you can build from them.
  12. #62  
    blackmannx#AC's Avatar
    Panda Motherfrinkin King

    Posts
    368 Posts
    Global Posts
    374 Global Posts
    ROM
    PandaRom 12.5% Faster!!

    Default Re: [GUIDE][Ubuntu] Compiling Android from Source

    Starts Slow Clap..

    Great guide and should help people get a better understanding as to what is really goes into building out a great rom..
    Sent from my unreleased thingamagig using Tapatalk

    follow me at www.twitter.com/black_man_x
    Thanked by:
  13. #63  
    TauSigmaNova's Avatar
    Domo Arigato, Mr Roboto!

    Posts
    320 Posts
    ROM
    Nexus5Experience2.1.1 LTE

    Default Re: [GUIDE][Ubuntu] Compiling Android from Source

    Sadly, neither. My devices is actually ARMV6 X( and I can not afoord a decent upgrade, the only plausible one on VM would be the new sexy EVO, though I dont have 300 dollars at my disposal. TDM has built us AOSP, CM9, and AOKP through CM9 base code, but our device is not "officially' supported. We do not have official support from the Cyanogenmod or the Open Kang Project afaik. The only person building/maintaining for our device is @tdm and I think now @BobZhome does.

    Thanks for the reply though.
    DEVICES:
    LG Nexus 4 [E-960] Android 4.4.4 CM11S [Soon Retired]
    OnePlus One [Coming Soon]
    Samsung Galaxy Tab 10.1 [RIP]
    LG Optimus V [RIP]
  14. Thread Author  Thread Author    #64  
    dmmarck's Avatar
    Retired Moderator

    Posts
    10,928 Posts
    Global Posts
    10,930 Global Posts
    ROM
    What do you think?

    Default Re: [GUIDE][Ubuntu] Compiling Android from Source

    Quote Originally Posted by TauSigmaNova View Post
    Sadly, neither. My devices is actually ARMV6 X( and I can not afoord a decent upgrade, the only plausible one on VM would be the new sexy EVO, though I dont have 300 dollars at my disposal. TDM has built us AOSP, CM9, and AOKP through CM9 base code, but our device is not "officially' supported. We do not have official support from the Cyanogenmod or the Open Kang Project afaik. The only person building/maintaining for our device is @tdm and I think now @BobZhome does.

    Thanks for the reply though.
    Try seeing if they have a git and if they encourage folks to compile. I know some big devs do just that, like the aforementioned CM, AOKP, and even Pete Alfonso and Bugless Beast. Worth a shot!

    Good luck .
  15. #65  
    TauSigmaNova's Avatar
    Domo Arigato, Mr Roboto!

    Posts
    320 Posts
    ROM
    Nexus5Experience2.1.1 LTE

    Default Re: [GUIDE][Ubuntu] Compiling Android from Source

    I think tdm has a github source, but it's ICS. I also beleive we're running a 2.6 kernel, not a 3.0 or above. How would an ICS Repo help me with JB exactly? So far I have managed to make a some-what themed CM9 ROM but I'd like to go past that is all.
    DEVICES:
    LG Nexus 4 [E-960] Android 4.4.4 CM11S [Soon Retired]
    OnePlus One [Coming Soon]
    Samsung Galaxy Tab 10.1 [RIP]
    LG Optimus V [RIP]
  16. Thread Author  Thread Author    #66  
    dmmarck's Avatar
    Retired Moderator

    Posts
    10,928 Posts
    Global Posts
    10,930 Global Posts
    ROM
    What do you think?

    Default Re: [GUIDE][Ubuntu] Compiling Android from Source

    Quote Originally Posted by TauSigmaNova View Post
    I think tdm has a github source, but it's ICS. I also beleive we're running a 2.6 kernel, not a 3.0 or above. How would an ICS Repo help me with JB exactly? So far I have managed to make a some-what themed CM9 ROM but I'd like to go past that is all.
    It wouldn't unfortunately. You're going to have to wait until a developer ports it over and then sets it up.

    I mean you could try porting it over yourself, but that is way above my level of understanding and expertise .
    Thanked by:
    wujiku 
  17. #67  

    Default Re: [GUIDE][Ubuntu] Compiling Android from Source

    I'm trying to build for my VZW gnex (toro), but it's not showing on my list after the lunch command anymore. It was there last night on my first build attempt (java issues). Went to give it another go, and it looks like it's been removed from AOSP. Anyone mind checking?

    FYI: Maguro is still there
  18. Thread Author  Thread Author    #68  
    dmmarck's Avatar
    Retired Moderator

    Posts
    10,928 Posts
    Global Posts
    10,930 Global Posts
    ROM
    What do you think?

    Default Re: [GUIDE][Ubuntu] Compiling Android from Source

    Quote Originally Posted by networkproblems View Post
    I'm trying to build for my VZW gnex (toro), but it's not showing on my list after the lunch command anymore. It was there last night on my first build attempt (java issues). Went to give it another go, and it looks like it's been removed from AOSP. Anyone mind checking?

    FYI: Maguro is still there
    Just put it in manually.

    full_toro-userdebug
    If it doesn't build, then I presume it was removed (but unlikely). Should build without a glitch; I have yet to seen it in the actual list though.
  19. #69  

    Default Re: [GUIDE][Ubuntu] Compiling Android from Source

    Quote Originally Posted by dmmarck View Post
    Just put it in manually.



    If it doesn't build, then I presume it was removed (but unlikely). Should build without a glitch; I have yet to seen it in the actual list though.
    Thanks - just put it in manually. And it was there last night. Combo #11
    Thanked by:
  20. Thread Author  Thread Author    #70  
    dmmarck's Avatar
    Retired Moderator

    Posts
    10,928 Posts
    Global Posts
    10,930 Global Posts
    ROM
    What do you think?

    Default Re: [GUIDE][Ubuntu] Compiling Android from Source

    Quote Originally Posted by networkproblems View Post
    Thanks - just put it in manually. And it was there last night. Combo #11
    Good to know, thanks! Glad you got it working .
  21. #71  
    ewinkley's Avatar

    Posts
    10 Posts
    Global Posts
    11 Global Posts

    Default Re: [GUIDE][Ubuntu] Compiling Android from Source

    Thanks for this write up. I am having a problem getting started - here is the command I type and the error:


    user@ubuntu:~$ sudo add-apt-repository "deb Index of / lucid partner"
    user@ubuntu:~$ sudo apt-get update
    E: Malformed line 62 in source list /etc/apt/sources.list (URI parse) >> this points to the line added above
    E: The list of sources could not be read.

    can anyone help me figure this out? tia
  22. #72  

    Red face Re: [GUIDE][Ubuntu] Compiling Android from Source

    Hi, I'm new to the forums. However I'm not new to android. I'm impatiently waiting for Jelly Bean on my 2 week old Sprint Galaxy Nexus. Will this work for the Sprint version?
  23. Thread Author  Thread Author    #73  
    dmmarck's Avatar
    Retired Moderator

    Posts
    10,928 Posts
    Global Posts
    10,930 Global Posts
    ROM
    What do you think?

    Default Re: [GUIDE][Ubuntu] Compiling Android from Source

    Quote Originally Posted by nick.frongillo View Post
    Hi, I'm new to the forums. However I'm not new to android. I'm impatiently waiting for Jelly Bean on my 2 week old Sprint Galaxy Nexus. Will this work for the Sprint version?
    Nope, so far toroplus (Sprint) is not a supported AOSP device. Sorry .

    Quote Originally Posted by ewinkley View Post
    Thanks for this write up. I am having a problem getting started - here is the command I type and the error:


    user@ubuntu:~$ sudo add-apt-repository "deb Index of / lucid partner"
    user@ubuntu:~$ sudo apt-get update
    E: Malformed line 62 in source list /etc/apt/sources.list (URI parse) >> this points to the line added above
    E: The list of sources could not be read.

    can anyone help me figure this out? tia
    Check the fixes post for some help with installing Java 6/JDK. I will also post another link in that shortly.
  24. #74  
    lordbah's Avatar

    Posts
    85 Posts
    Global Posts
    428 Global Posts

    Default Re: [GUIDE][Ubuntu] Compiling Android from Source

    I'm following along, got the master since I also am on Ubuntu 12.04. After selecting full_toro-userdebug the script said

    PLATFORM_VERSION=4.0.9.99.999.9999.99999

    Does that mean the master is not Jelly Bean?
  25. Thread Author  Thread Author    #75  
    dmmarck's Avatar
    Retired Moderator

    Posts
    10,928 Posts
    Global Posts
    10,930 Global Posts
    ROM
    What do you think?

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by lordbah View Post
    I'm following along, got the master since I also am on Ubuntu 12.04. After selecting full_toro-userdebug the script said

    PLATFORM_VERSION=4.0.9.99.999.9999.99999

    Does that mean the master is not Jelly Bean?
    Quite possibly, although I had presumed that it would have been updated by now. I used the branch but I have seen that before.

    FWIW, if the nine repeats infinitely it's the same as 4.1 lol

    Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Android Central Forums
Page 3 of 13 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions