[HOW-TO] TiBu The Easy Way!

2defmouze

Jul 9, 2011
Visit site
So this was my 2nd time using TiBu for flashing (AOKP B5). Overall it worked well (great writeup, once again!), but I have a question:

I forgot to mount system before installing Tibu's update.zip. But I was still able to launch Tibu. To be sure, I rebooted into recovery, mounted system and reinstalled Tibu's update.zip before batch installing any apps. Would things have worked had I not rebooted/reinstalled TiBu?

thanks

Probably would have been fine :)

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

gadgetguy08

Aug 16, 2012
Visit site

As long as the Auto-Sync TB settings is enabled in preferences, the labels will be back when after you wipe and install a new rom.

OK, I give. I have tried twice to use labels after flashing. The first time I didn't have Auto-Sync TB settings turned on, but the second time I did. I still couldn't find the labels. Where are they kept? What did I miss?

2defmouze

Jul 9, 2011
Visit site
OK, I give. I have tried twice to use labels after flashing. The first time I didn't have Auto-Sync TB settings turned on, but the second time I did. I still couldn't find the labels. Where are they kept? What did I miss?

In the list of apps under backup/restore, tap 'filters' up top and select the label you want to view, and hit ok. Remember that until you deselect any filters you will only see those apps, even if you enter TiBu again later.. Can be confusing, lol.

Empty Hand

Jul 26, 2012
Visit site

Go to "backup/restore". At the top you'll see "click to edit filters" - click it. Toward the bottom you'll see where you can create and edit labels. The labels make restoring sooooo much easier!

gadgetguy08

Aug 16, 2012
Visit site
Go to "backup/restore". At the top you'll see "click to edit filters" - click it. Toward the bottom you'll see where you can create and edit labels. The labels make restoring sooooo much easier!

Yes, I have had no problem creating filters, but I can never find them after I flash and restore TiBu with the zip.

Sent from my ASUS Transformer Pad TF700T using Tapatalk 2

2defmouze

Jul 9, 2011
Visit site
Yes, I have had no problem creating filters, but I can never find them after I flash and restore TiBu with the zip.

You select the label you wish to see from the filters menu, where you created them. Check the box, then hit the green checkmark :)

gregharkay

May 24, 2012
Visit site

I have the same issue. The labels don't seem to be restored along with everything else.

wtherrell

Aug 23, 2010
Visit site
I have a question. I think I understand using TiBu for restoring apps and data after flashing or wiping on the same phone, but can you also use it when switching phones? For example, when I upgrade can I use TiBu to reload apps and data on my new phone (different model)? Are there any additional considerations?

Thanks in advance
I probably need a step by step for this. GNex has no external sd card. If I OTG an sd or thumbdrive can I TiBu to it and then on different phone TiBu restore from said sd or thumbdrive? Other ways to transfer to different phone? Nandroid? I don't know. My problem is that my GNex suddenly gets very hot for no apparent reason, quickly drains the battery and goes into SOD. Battery pull and usually a change of battery is necessary before it will wake back up. I have not been able to find any rogue apps that may be causing this. I fear that in near future I must relock and return to stock and take it into Verizon and get a refurb replacement. (I have Asurion) I got the phone when it came out Dec. 15 2011.

2defmouze

Jul 9, 2011
Visit site
I probably need a step by step for this. GNex has no external sd card. If I OTG an sd or thumbdrive can I TiBu to it and then on different phone TiBu restore from said sd or thumbdrive? Other ways to transfer to different phone? Nandroid? I don't know. My problem is that my GNex suddenly gets very hot for no apparent reason, quickly drains the battery and goes into SOD. Battery pull and usually a change of battery is necessary before it will wake back up. I have not been able to find any rogue apps that may be causing this. I fear that in near future I must relock and return to stock and take it into Verizon and get a refurb replacement. (I have Asurion) I got the phone when it came out Dec. 15 2011.

You can definitely restore to a different phone.. Just copy the /sdcard/TitaniumBackup folder to your computer, this is where all the backups and data is, then copy it to the next phone's sdcard. Then use TiBu to restore on the new phone as you please :)

wtherrell

Aug 23, 2010
Visit site
You can definitely restore to a different phone.. Just copy the /sdcard/TitaniumBackup folder to your computer, this is where all the backups and data is, then copy it to the next phone's sdcard. Then use TiBu to restore on the new phone as you please :)

Wow, as Wolfgang Puck put it: "very simple, very easy"!

gadgetguy08

Aug 16, 2012
Visit site
I have the same issue. The labels don't seem to be restored along with everything else.

I haven't done a restore yet, but I did find where the labels were put:

\data\data\com.keramidas.TitaniumBackup\shared_prefs\AppLabelCache.xml

I moved a copy to external storage.

2defmouze

Jul 9, 2011
Visit site
Heads Up.. Latest TiBu update will even let you create a flashable zip of your apps and data to flash immediately after the ROM, saving even more time. After I have some time to test it out I'll add official info to the guide, but if anyone plays with it before me let me know how it works! :)

Empty Hand

Jul 26, 2012
Visit site
Heads Up.. Latest TiBu update will even let you create a flashable zip of your apps and data to flash immediately after the ROM, saving even more time. After I have some time to test it out I'll add official info to the guide, but if anyone plays with it before me let me know how it works! :)

I haven't tried them out yet, but using labels, I created a "data apps" update zip and a "non-data apps" update zip.

I'm curious whether there will be any problems with flashing multiple update zips in the same session while doing a clean flash. I'm thinking it should be okay. Also, these backup zips do not seem to contain the TiBu app itself. So I think we still need to create a separate zip for that.
Now we need 4.2 to be released so I have a reason to do a clean flash!

Droidintorrance

Mar 29, 2011
Visit site

Looks good; looks like it is just one button? The new -Pink Run- button, Create "Update.zip" from app+data backup..? So, only only have to flash the Update file...?

jean15paul

Trusted Member
Jun 17, 2011
Visit site

I saw that. This might convince me to pay for the pro version. :)

Akuma

Sep 12, 2010
Visit site
Very interested in this update. I'm gong to check this out ASAP, and will report back here when I've played.

2defmouze

Jul 9, 2011
Visit site
I haven't tried them out yet, but using labels, I created a "data apps" update zip and a "non-data apps" update zip.

I'm curious whether there will be any problems with flashing multiple update zips in the same session while doing a clean flash. I'm thinking it should be okay. Also, these backup zips do not seem to contain the TiBu app itself. So I think we still need to create a separate zip for that.

Looks good; looks like it is just one button? The new -Pink Run- button, Create "Update.zip" from app+data backup..? So, only only have to flash the Update file...?
As Empty Hand noted.. You'll make a few zips to flash after your ROM but it should work fine. Doubt I'll have a chance to test before the weekend.

I saw that. This might convince me to pay for the pro version. :)

Bought the full version when I first rooted my Bionic over a year ago. Best couple bucks I've spent on an app I use for every clean flash. Just do it. :)

wtherrell

Aug 23, 2010
Visit site

Correct. Separate zips for the TiBu itself and the apps+data. I found this out playing with it last night.

Empty Hand

Jul 26, 2012
Visit site
So, I tried the new update zips today. Restoring the apps worked great, but it didn't work for my data. I ended up just restoring app data through TiBu, which is pretty fast anyway. I'm curious to hear if the zip restores data properly for anyone else. If not, I'll just make 1 update zip for apps without data and restore data the old fashioned way.

Canuckfan

Feb 12, 2011
Visit site
So, I tried the new update zips today. Restoring the apps worked great, but it didn't work for my data. I ended up just restoring app data through TiBu, which is pretty fast anyway. I'm curious to hear if the zip restores data properly for anyone else. If not, I'll just make 1 update zip for apps without data and restore data the old fashioned way.

Looks like you had more success than me since i couldn't restore any apps or data. That's how good I am. lol. I tried doing it all in the same installation session as the ROM/GAPPS...maybe that was the problem.

Anyway, I await further clarification/instruction from 2defmouze and the many smart members here at AC :)

Last edited: