[HOW-TO] TiBu The Easy Way!

pmcd1962

Jul 20, 2012
Visit site
So after flashing roms/gapps/TiBu, do you need to wipe cache and delvik right before rebooting the system? I've seen it mentioned in some other guides but I only trust one guide ;)

Wipe before install.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Android Central Forums

dmmarck

Retired Moderator
Dec 28, 2011
Visit site
So after flashing roms/gapps/TiBu, do you need to wipe cache and delvik right before rebooting the system? I've seen it mentioned in some other guides but I only trust one guide ;)

You mean after you flash those 3 things? Doesn't hurt, but it's not really necessary.

Reactions: Canuckfan

Empty Hand

Jul 26, 2012
Visit site
Request for sticky status. (Although this thread never seems to be far from the top...)

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

InclusionInnovates

Aug 28, 2011
Visit site
This is such a great ... just finished using it again ... could you say more regarding this statement:

"But do NOT restore data to any Google apps, and try to avoid it for any apps which actively sync often or create accounts in your phone setup"

What are apps that actively sync often or create accounts in your phone setup?

2defmouze

Jul 9, 2011
Visit site
This is such a great ... just finished using it again ... could you say more regarding this statement:

"But do NOT restore data to any Google apps, and try to avoid it for any apps which actively sync often or create accounts in your phone setup"

What are apps that actively sync often or create accounts in your phone setup?

Glad you're finding it helpful! Apps that come to mind which either sync a lot or create accounts in your settings area would be like Facebook and Dropbox, probably plenty others I can't think of or don't use. Can you get away with it? Maybe sometimes, but it can give you issues, so I suggest just restoring apps like that without data, then log in and set them up. The minute or so it takes is probably better than the headache of restoring bad data :)

mraviator

Jun 30, 2011
Visit site
I'm restoring my apps right now. Thanks for the great write up!

Is there any setting that will auto install the apps without me having to click install for each and every one?

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2

2defmouze

Jul 9, 2011
Visit site
I'm restoring my apps right now. Thanks for the great write up!

Is there any setting that will auto install the apps without me having to click install for each and every one?

Thanks and your welcome! Batch restore, as is used in the guide.. if it's not an option it might require the paid/pro version of TiBu, which is well worth the couple bucks :)

jean15paul

Trusted Member
Jun 17, 2011
Visit site
Thanks and your welcome! Batch restore, as is used in the guide.. if it's not an option it might require the paid/pro version of TiBu, which is well worth the couple bucks :)

Yeah Batch restore is a paid only feature.

Question: your guide says...
TiBU Guide said:
7.Skip the initial device setup screen. This can be done by quickly tapping the top-left, top-right, bottom-right, and bottom-left corners of the screen in that order. Or you can just skip through everything without entering your Google account info.

8. Launch TiBu and do Batch > Restore missing apps with data. Now here's the important part.. hit Deselect all. Go through the list and manually select the apps you want to restore with data. You can do it safely for MOST user apps: games, utility apps, etc. But do NOT restore data to any Google apps, and try to avoid it for any apps which actively sync often or create accounts in your phone setup. Can you get away with some of these things sometimes? Maybe.. but just don't take the risk. Restoring any bad data you shouldn't could mean you'll have to re-wipe and start all over again. Once you're done selecting, hit the green checkmark to start the restore.

9. Now run through that last step again... This time after hitting Deselect all, hit App only. Now you can select the apps you are going to restore without data. You can do this for just about anything, including your google apps. Its the same as installing them normally.. TiBu will just do it for you in one quick batch job. Afterwards you can do a Menu > Restore data from XML and restore any the call logs and SMS data we backed up earlier as well.

10. Reboot. Go to Settings > Accounts > Add your Google account and set up your phone again. You can take it from here
smile.png

Is there any problem with doing it this way?
7. Setup phone/Sign into Google
8. Allow Play Store to auto restore apps
9. Open TiBu and restore data for specific apps where you want to restore data

Basically my question is, is there a problem with letting the Play Store automatically reinstall the apps and only using TiBU to restore data?

Last edited:

2defmouze

Jul 9, 2011
Visit site
Yeah Batch restore is a paid only feature.

Question you guide says...

Is there any problem with doing it this way?
7. Setup phone/Sign into Google
8. Allow Play Store to auto restore apps
9. Open TiBu and restore data for specific apps where you want to restore data

Basically my question is, is there a problem with letting the Play Store automatically reinstall the apps and only using TiBU to restore data?

Its just a more roundabout, cumbersome way to do it. Letting TiBu handle the restores is faster and you can decide exactly which apps you want reinstalled, rather than having the Play Store automatically do them all (which a lot of the time it isn't even that reliable and randomly forgets some apps). You can certainly do it the way you asked about, but the method I use is much easier if once you get used to it. Haven't let the market restore to my phone in almost a year here, lol :)

mraviator

Jun 30, 2011
Visit site
I actually have the paid version of TiBu. I flashed it using the update.zip method so it would be ready to go on boot up. But I noticed the "get the pro version" button when I started TiBu to load my apps. I briefly wondered if that was because I was not logged into the Google ecosystem and therefore no license check was made? Next time I'll have to pay more attention and see if i can get the batch mode to work.

2defmouze

Jul 9, 2011
Visit site
The pro key is a separate download, but TiBu backs it up and restores it, and I believe if the update zip is made with it installed you don't even need to worry about it.. So not sure why that happened but give it another go.

Canuckfan

Feb 12, 2011
Visit site
I actually have the paid version of TiBu. I flashed it using the update.zip method so it would be ready to go on boot up. But I noticed the "get the pro version" button when I started TiBu to load my apps. I briefly wondered if that was because I was not logged into the Google ecosystem and therefore no license check was made? Next time I'll have to pay more attention and see if i can get the batch mode to work.

Yah, I had that problem before as well and I'm pretty sure I was logged into Google at the time. Not sure what the issue was but all I did was re-install the Pro Key from the Play Store and that fixed it.

And as 2defmouze mentioned above, if you create an update.zip you don't even need to install/restore the key. I noticed this the last time I did a clean install.

habanophile

Mar 14, 2012
Visit site
Nice guide mouze. thanks. Excuse me. Mr. Advisor mouze sir. :p

Personally I use my backup. I remember cyber warrior mentioning it once when I first rooted my phone. Tibu always looked too confusing for me lol. Not anymore!

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Android Central Forums

mrholzapfel

May 25, 2011
Visit site
Is anyone else having trouble restoring back data from XML? I get a force close or an error message 'operation cancelled' after I do a full wipe and new ROM install, when I try to restore SMS, call logs, or wifi.

Seems this started after TiBu went from version 5.5.1 to 5.5.2 (and 5.6).

Empty Hand

Jul 26, 2012
Visit site
Is anyone else having trouble restoring back data from XML? I get a force close or an error message 'operation cancelled' after I do a full wipe and new ROM install, when I try to restore SMS, call logs, or wifi.

Seems this started after TiBu went from version 5.5.1 to 5.5.2 (and 5.6).

I have only had that problem with restoring wifi access points (SMS and call logs have always restored fine). I think I solved the wifi restore by making sure my wifi is turned on before restoring. It may be a coincidence, but try that.

On a separate, but related note, I found I can cut a few steps out of my clean flashing if I go through the Google login instead of skipping it. That restores my wifi access points automatically, and I'm now always logged in to my Google account. Then I just stop the auto restore and go through the other TiBu restore steps.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Chelsea rae