Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Like Tree24Likes

Default Re: CWM vs. TWRP

I switched I could no longer take staring at the small text and then trying to scroll with the volume buttons, the old eyes are not what they use to be, lol. the touch screen and easy to read fonts make this a nicer option IMHO.
    2defmouze likes this.
    Mobile Enthusiast

Global Posts
    695 Global Posts
    ROM
    AOKP JB B1/Franco M5

I switched to TWRP a week ago after tring the newest CWM release. Cant believe what I was missing. Much better UI, and I love the fact that you can queue different zip installations. At first I was skeptical of the queuing feature, but it's worked great three times now, so I'm a fan.
    Xanth269 likes this.

Speaking of being able to queue multiple zips, I also like that feature for the rom and gapps. However, I was in the habit of flashing a rom and re-wiping cache and davlik before flashing gapps. Is that unnecessary?

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

Global Posts
    5,846 Global Posts
    ROM
    AOKP

Quote Originally Posted by Empty Hand View Post
    Speaking of being able to queue multiple zips, I also like that feature for the rom and gapps. However, I was in the habit of flashing a rom and re-wiping cache and davlik before flashing gapps. Is that unnecessary?

Totally unnecessary

Thanked by 2:

I'm another recently converted TWRP fan. Can't believe I waited this long.
    Jeff43 and Xanth269 like this.

So I am hooked on TWRP, is there a clean way to remove CWM completely from the phone, do I just goto settings-app- and than uninstall.

Quote Originally Posted by 2defmouze View Post
    TeamWin Projects - TWRP 2.2 | TeamWin

The goomanager app available in the market will flash it for you as well I believe.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2
    Is that the "InstallOpenRecoveryScript" from the menu dropdown or a different option in goomanager?

ROM
    CM10 JellyBro | Franco M5

Quote Originally Posted by ruh-roh-raggy View Post
    Is that the "InstallOpenRecoveryScript" from the menu dropdown or a different option in goomanager?
    Yup, that's the right option. It'll then download TWRP and flash it for you.
    Thanked by:

Looks like rave reviews for TWRP. Gonna give it a try. Thanks!

So I've been using ROM Manager and CWM Touch, currently on the latest BB ROM. Can I just uninstall ROM Manager and install Goo and flash TWRP and be good to go for future backups and flashing, or do I need to do something else to make the transition safe?

Global Posts
    92 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by ottscay View Post
    So I've been using ROM Manager and CWM Touch, currently on the latest BB ROM. Can I just uninstall ROM Manager and install Goo and flash TWRP and be good to go for future backups and flashing, or do I need to do something else to make the transition safe?
    You will be good to go but just be aware you won't be able to restore any old backups that you made with ROM manager without ROM manager installed.

can we install TWRP to a "new" phone for flashing? Wife got a new GNx, I want to wait a few days to make sure the phone is not a flake before I root and unlock.
    so when I read the instruction to unlock and root, where it says to install ROM manger am I ok to just install TWRP?
    I also might be looking for some help its been awhile since I did the basics, will use WUGS but always like to now someone is out there to help.
    It's been real...

Quote Originally Posted by Xanth269 View Post
    can we install TWRP to a "new" phone for flashing? Wife got a new GNx, I want to wait a few days to make sure the phone is not a flake before I root and unlock.
    so when I read the instruction to unlock and root, where it says to install ROM manger am I ok to just install TWRP?
    I also might be looking for some help its been awhile since I did the basics, will use WUGS but always like to now someone is out there to help.
    You certainly can. And you don't need wugs BTW... it's easy enough to just do it manually... which you should know how to do in the event of a mishap.

Once your drivers are setup on your computer (they probably already are since you used wugs last time) all you need to do are a couple fastboot commands, some adb commands, and a few reboots.

The entire process literally takes less than ten minutes.

If that interests you, we can continue... although I'm at work right now and may not be able to follow up in a timely manner, lol
    Thanked by:
    2defmouze likes this.

Global Posts
    5,846 Global Posts
    ROM
    AOKP

What Oxy said... there's no 'rulebook' that says you need to use CWM at all. I flashed TWRP on my Nexus 7 first thing after unlocking it, never even considered CWM, lol You'll be fine
    Thanked by 2:
    oxymoron likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by oxymoron View Post
    You certainly can. And you don't need wugs BTW... it's easy enough to just do it manually... which you should know how to do in the event of a mishap.

Once your drivers are setup on your computer (they probably already are since you used wugs last time) all you need to do are a couple fastboot commands, some adb commands, and a few reboots.

The entire process literally takes less than ten minutes.

If that interests you, we can continue... although I'm at work right now and may not be able to follow up in a timely manner, lol
    I'll take you up on the offer, maybe we can schedule some time to do this, would like to know how to do this manually. Especially since its the wifes phone and if I screw it up , well you know the rest... lol!

ROM
    Running the latest Bugles

Is there a fastboot/adb thread?

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Android Central Forums

Global Posts
    5,846 Global Posts
    ROM
    AOKP

Quote Originally Posted by CA1NE View Post
    Is there a fastboot/adb thread?

Google helps, lol.. There's also some good info here: [Official] Beginners Introduction to the SDK(ADK)

Thanked by:
    CA1NE 

ROM

Google helps, lol.. There's also some good info here: [Official] Beginners Introduction to the SDK(ADK)

Lol since I joined here I stopped googling. But thank you....

Global Posts
    5,846 Global Posts
    ROM
    AOKP

Quote Originally Posted by CA1NE View Post
    Lol since I joined here I stopped googling. But thank you....

Lol Nah I didn't mean it in a rude way, just I've always learned the answers to most questions and how to do stuff by good old fashioned Googling

Thanked by 2:

ROM

Lol Nah I didn't mean it in a rude way, just I've always learned the answers to most questions and how to do stuff by good old fashioned Googling

Strange thing happens when I Google about nexus/hacking.....I end up in android central lol I love you guys (no homo).....(maybe a little)

Thanked by 2:
    Montclair likes this.

Global Posts
    37 Global Posts

Can someone comment on if it is worth the $6 for ROM manager premium for updating rom? Or is it easier to do it manually? Also, do I need to wipe all data and clear All cache before updating to newer version?

Global Posts
    5,846 Global Posts
    ROM
    AOKP

Quote Originally Posted by cdludlum View Post
    Can someone comment on if it is worth the $6 for ROM manager premium for updating rom? Or is it easier to do it manually? Also, do I need to wipe all data and clear All cache before updating to newer version?

Its absolutely NOT worth it. Do things manually in recovery, its something you should get comfortable with

Updating to a new version of the same ROM you can sometimes to a dirty flash = wipe caches and wipe system. If you run into bugs or issues you probably need to do a full wipe, as in wipe data/factory reset as well.
    Thanked by 2:
    CA1NEdmmarck 

Global Posts
    37 Global Posts

Thanks for the quick response and information. I will do it manually. Prob just do a full reset just in case.

How do I uninstall ROM manager? When I select it from my app drawer the only option is "app info"

Global Posts
    37 Global Posts

Settings, apps, find ROM manager, select and uninstall

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast