Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Like Tree23Likes

Global Posts
    5,846 Global Posts
    ROM
    AOKP

Default Re: CWM vs. TWRP

Quote Originally Posted by pmcd1962 View Post
    How do I uninstall ROM manager? When I select it from my app drawer the only option is "app info"

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Android Central Forums
    Sounds like you're on CM10 which installs it as a system app. You can either use something like Root Explorer to just delete it from /system/app... or you can use Tibu to uninstall it.

I mean you don't have to stress it.. you can leave it installed even if you're not using it, won't hurt anything. I absolutely hate that CM installs it automatically. Hate having that app on my phone

Quote Originally Posted by cdludlum View Post
    Settings, apps, find ROM manager, select and uninstall

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2
    Hmmmmm. Its not listed there.

Global Posts
    37 Global Posts

You checked under your downloaded apps tab?

Thanked by:

Quote Originally Posted by cdludlum View Post
    You checked under your downloaded apps tab?

Yep. The play store knows I have it because it tells me there is an update.

Global Posts
    5,846 Global Posts
    ROM
    AOKP

Read what I said 4 comments up, lol.
    Thanked by:

Quote Originally Posted by 2defmouze View Post
    Read what I said 4 comments up, lol.
    1. 2. 3. Ah! Not sure how I missed that. Thanks!

Global Posts
    3 Global Posts

Twrp all the way! Love how useful the features are. Have had 0 issues restoring jelly bean backups. Flashing any roms or mods w 0 problems. Very happy.

Global Posts
    4,500 Global Posts
    ROM
    Anthem_003

I'm a big fan of TWRP!

It's easy to navigate and has been running smoothly for me ever since I installed it on my phone.
    "The worst foe lies within the self....."
    Get yourself some storage with Dropbox: http://db.tt/hWGiTCa

Lot's of good info here. Thanks to everyone who contributed. I'm a new rooted (rooted and flashed for the first time 2 or 3 weeks ago. I had planned to use CWM because I just heard it discussed a lot more than TWRP, but I ended up using TWRP because the dev of the specific ROM I wanted to flash recommended TWRP with that ROM, so I've never used CWM. I have been very happy with TWPR. It's really easy.
    Retired Moderator

ROM
    What do you think?

Hopefully it's not installed as a system app. If that's the case, use Root Explorer and go get it manually .

Global Posts
    4,500 Global Posts
    ROM
    Anthem_003

Quote Originally Posted by jean15paul View Post
    Lot's of good info here. Thanks to everyone who contributed. I'm a new rooted (rooted and flashed for the first time 2 or 3 weeks ago. I had planned to use CWM because I just heard it discussed a lot more than TWRP, but I ended up using TWRP because the dev of the specific ROM I wanted to flash recommended TWRP with that ROM, so I've never used CWM. I have been very happy with TWPR. It's really easy.
    Plus, TWRP is sexier than CWM
    "The worst foe lies within the self....."
    Get yourself some storage with Dropbox: http://db.tt/hWGiTCa

Thanked by 2:
    JkdJedi and dmmarck like this.

Global Posts
    424 Global Posts
    ROM
    JB Viciousness

why did it take me this long to get on TWRP?!?!?!
    2defmouze likes this.

Global Posts
    5,846 Global Posts
    ROM
    AOKP

Quote Originally Posted by nycinek View Post
    why did it take me this long to get on TWRP?!?!?!
    Because you no listen to us! We smart! lol
    Thanked by:
    dmmarck likes this.

Global Posts
    10,401 Global Posts
    ROM
    AOSP, & stock.

I don't use rom manager, but I have used cwm without problems. Think I am going to try this new recovery...

ROM
    Rascream + Trinity kernel

TWRP and here's exactly why. The other night I was about to flash a new rom and synced and backed everything up before going into CWR. Once there I wiped the whole system and somehow must have dozed off and hit reboot system without flashing the new rom. TWRP must have realized I had no rom installed and prevented my phone from rebooting. I woke up noticed what happened, pulled the battery and got into CWR and reinstalled the rom. I can't say that CWM would have done this and save me from potential disaster.

Quote Originally Posted by SuperChargedJ View Post
    TWRP and here's exactly why. The other night I was about to flash a new rom and synced and backed everything up before going into CWR. Once there I wiped the whole system and somehow must have dozed off and hit reboot system without flashing the new rom. TWRP must have realized I had no rom installed and prevented my phone from rebooting. I woke up noticed what happened, pulled the battery and got into CWR and reinstalled the rom. I can't say that CWM would have done this and save me from potential disaster.

Nice ... that's why hitting that Format System button always makes me nervious.
    Retired Moderator

ROM
    What do you think?

Quote Originally Posted by jean15paul View Post
    Nice ... that's why hitting that Format System button always makes me nervious.
    Nervous, perhaps--but it is necessary 100% of the time...unless you're just flashing a kernel/theme/etc.

Global Posts
    452 Global Posts
    ROM
    AOKP Build5

Ok I got an issue with TWRP I think...
    I wanted to do a clean install so I started with from home TWRP home screen,
    Wipe -> Format Data-> swipped my finger along the screen and got Data Format Complete and in red FAILED, small text says E:Unable to format data and the back button, clicked back button, and than rebooted back into the phone and it works. did I do something wrong is my phone no longer able to be flashed???
    please advise.
    Thanks!

Global Posts
    5,846 Global Posts
    ROM
    AOKP

Quote Originally Posted by Xanth269 View Post
    Ok I got an issue with TWRP I think...
    I wanted to do a clean install so I started with from home TWRP home screen,
    Wipe -> Format Data-> swipped my finger along the screen and got Data Format Complete and in red FAILED, small text says E:Unable to format data and the back button, clicked back button, and than rebooted back into the phone and it works. did I do something wrong is my phone no longer able to be flashed???
    please advise.
    Thanks!
    Don't do format data, select wipe data/ factory reset, should be above the option you clicked.

Global Posts
    452 Global Posts
    ROM
    AOKP Build5

Quote Originally Posted by 2defmouze View Post
    Don't do format data, select wipe data/ factory reset, should be above the option you clicked.

2def-- thanks got it wiped installing rom and gapps now... I have never done the batch install of zips, is it safe? I still do it 1 at a time.

I also hate how longggg it takes for a new rom boot, I get nervous. funny boot ani with euro cm flashback to the old Atari days.

PS- was doing the apps download manually (suxs) and under myapps it lists superSU, do I need this I remember the name changed and it should be in the ROM now correct?
    Last edited by Xanth269; 08-13-2012 at 09:06 PM.

Global Posts
    5,846 Global Posts
    ROM
    AOKP

2def-- thanks got it wiped installing rom and gapps now... I have never done the batch install of zips, is it safe? I still do it 1 at a time.

I also hate how longggg it takes for a new rom boot, I get nervous. funny boot ani with euro cm flashback to the old Atari days
    Yeah it's fine, I line up my ROM and Gapps in the queue all the time, it's one of the cool things about TWRP

Thanked by:

Global Posts
    452 Global Posts
    ROM
    AOKP Build5

With the Roms and gapps, is there a combo that will auto download the apps for you?
    I went with 7-26 signed this time. will have to give it a shot next time, setting up the phone once again, lol!

With the Roms and gapps, is there a combo that will auto download the apps for you?
    I went with 7-26 signed this time. will have to give it a shot next time, setting up the phone once again, lol!
    I haven't figured out ... sometimes the play store auto-restores your apps and sometimes it doesn't. Anyone have any insight?

Regarding the gapps version, I'd make sure to check with the dev of your ROM to see if there is a version that they recommend. I've seen devs sometimes recommend a specific gapps version (because that's what they testing it with I assume).
    Thanked by:
    Xanth269 likes this.

Global Posts
    366 Global Posts
    ROM
    Affinity/Franco

So, I installed TWRP on my Touchpad via Goo Manager and so far don't see the benefits over ClockworkMod Touch. It is cool because it is something different but for the little bit I do in the recovery either one seems to fit the bill.

BTW I really like Goo Manager for a quick access point to Goo.im. I downloaded the recent CM nightly for the TP and flashed it via TWRP, easy stuff.
    “There’s always something to look at if you open your eyes!”
    -The Doctor-

Global Posts
    10,401 Global Posts
    ROM
    AOSP, & stock.

TRWP seems good, but I am fine with CMR. Never had an issue. Regardless of the functioning recovery you use, just use it correctly and all should be fine. Don't use ROM manager, and make sure you know the right methods if you flash kernels. As for one is "better" than the other? Meh, comes down to personal preference, and experience.

Just use it correctly.
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast