CWM vs. TWRP

VDub2174

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Dec 28, 2009
Visit site
Lot's of good info here. Thanks to everyone who contributed. I'm a new rooted (rooted and flashed for the first time 2 or 3 weeks ago. I had planned to use CWM because I just heard it discussed a lot more than TWRP, but I ended up using TWRP because the dev of the specific ROM I wanted to flash recommended TWRP with that ROM, so I've never used CWM. I have been very happy with TWPR. It's really easy.

Plus, TWRP is sexier than CWM :p

Johnly

Retired Moderator
Oct 6, 2010
Visit site
I don't use rom manager, but I have used cwm without problems. Think I am going to try this new recovery...

SuperChargedJ

Jul 29, 2010
Visit site
TWRP and here's exactly why. The other night I was about to flash a new rom and synced and backed everything up before going into CWR. Once there I wiped the whole system and somehow must have dozed off and hit reboot system without flashing the new rom. TWRP must have realized I had no rom installed and prevented my phone from rebooting. I woke up noticed what happened, pulled the battery and got into CWR and reinstalled the rom. I can't say that CWM would have done this and save me from potential disaster.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Android Central Forums

jean15paul

Trusted Member
Jun 17, 2011
Visit site
TWRP and here's exactly why. The other night I was about to flash a new rom and synced and backed everything up before going into CWR. Once there I wiped the whole system and somehow must have dozed off and hit reboot system without flashing the new rom. TWRP must have realized I had no rom installed and prevented my phone from rebooting. I woke up noticed what happened, pulled the battery and got into CWR and reinstalled the rom. I can't say that CWM would have done this and save me from potential disaster.

Nice ... that's why hitting that Format System button always makes me nervious.

Xanth269

Dec 5, 2011
Visit site
Ok I got an issue with TWRP I think...
I wanted to do a clean install so I started with from home TWRP home screen,
Wipe -> Format Data-> swipped my finger along the screen and got Data Format Complete and in red FAILED, small text says E:Unable to format data and the back button, clicked back button, and than rebooted back into the phone and it works. did I do something wrong is my phone no longer able to be flashed???
please advise.
Thanks!

2defmouze

Jul 9, 2011
Visit site
Ok I got an issue with TWRP I think...
I wanted to do a clean install so I started with from home TWRP home screen,
Wipe -> Format Data-> swipped my finger along the screen and got Data Format Complete and in red FAILED, small text says E:Unable to format data and the back button, clicked back button, and than rebooted back into the phone and it works. did I do something wrong is my phone no longer able to be flashed???
please advise.
Thanks!

Don't do format data, select wipe data/ factory reset, should be above the option you clicked.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

Xanth269

Dec 5, 2011
Visit site
Don't do format data, select wipe data/ factory reset, should be above the option you clicked.

2def-- thanks got it wiped installing rom and gapps now... I have never done the batch install of zips, is it safe? I still do it 1 at a time.

I also hate how longggg it takes for a new rom boot, I get nervous. funny boot ani with euro cm flashback to the old Atari days.

PS- was doing the apps download manually (suxs) and under myapps it lists superSU, do I need this I remember the name changed and it should be in the ROM now correct?

Last edited:

2defmouze

Jul 9, 2011
Visit site
2def-- thanks got it wiped installing rom and gapps now... I have never done the batch install of zips, is it safe? I still do it 1 at a time.

I also hate how longggg it takes for a new rom boot, I get nervous. funny boot ani with euro cm flashback to the old Atari days

Yeah it's fine, I line up my ROM and Gapps in the queue all the time, it's one of the cool things about TWRP :)

Reactions: Xanth269

Xanth269

Dec 5, 2011
Visit site
With the Roms and gapps, is there a combo that will auto download the apps for you?
I went with 7-26 signed this time. will have to give it a shot next time, setting up the phone once again, lol!

jean15paul

Trusted Member
Jun 17, 2011
Visit site
With the Roms and gapps, is there a combo that will auto download the apps for you?
I went with 7-26 signed this time. will have to give it a shot next time, setting up the phone once again, lol!

I haven't figured out ... sometimes the play store auto-restores your apps and sometimes it doesn't. Anyone have any insight?

Regarding the gapps version, I'd make sure to check with the dev of your ROM to see if there is a version that they recommend. I've seen devs sometimes recommend a specific gapps version (because that's what they testing it with I assume).

Reactions: Xanth269

cyberdalek

Feb 12, 2011
Visit site
So, I installed TWRP on my Touchpad via Goo Manager and so far don't see the benefits over ClockworkMod Touch. It is cool because it is something different but for the little bit I do in the recovery either one seems to fit the bill.

BTW I really like Goo Manager for a quick access point to Goo.im. I downloaded the recent CM nightly for the TP and flashed it via TWRP, easy stuff.

Johnly

Retired Moderator
Oct 6, 2010
Visit site
TRWP seems good, but I am fine with CMR. Never had an issue. Regardless of the functioning recovery you use, just use it correctly and all should be fine. Don't use ROM manager, and make sure you know the right methods if you flash kernels. As for one is "better" than the other? Meh, comes down to personal preference, and experience.

Just use it correctly.

macmitten

Dec 17, 2011
Visit site
Switched to twrp from cwm because I had trouble flashing CM 10. I was also getting google boot loop. Twrp seems great so far, I like the queuing feature. I don't know about all the wipe features though. Cwm had two simple ones, factory reset and dalvich. Twrp has like six different options. Maybe if someone would clarify this to me and add what's necessary for clean ROM flashing.

Canuckfan

Feb 12, 2011
Visit site
Switched to twrp from cwm because I had trouble flashing CM 10. I was also getting google boot loop. Twrp seems great so far, I like the queuing feature. I don't know about all the wipe features though. Cwm had two simple ones, factory reset and dalvich. Twrp has like six different options. Maybe if someone would clarify this to me and add what's necessary for clean ROM flashing.

Check post#20 on page 1 of this thread. Once you know the trick, it's actually easier than cwm!

Reactions: macmitten

Johnly

Retired Moderator
Oct 6, 2010
Visit site

Us old bangers use CWM. More power to the kids and their twrp. whatever. Pumped up kicks. outrun my recovery. CMW is for old pros that have been here for years, the twrp is more for the new kids that haven't been around on android for very long.

Xanth269

Dec 5, 2011
Visit site
The one thing I like about TWRP over CWM (not the touch version I never tried it) in recovery is I was having a hard time reading that small text when I was trying to flash and using the up/down power button was also a drag.

dmmarck

Retired Moderator
Dec 28, 2011
Visit site
Us old bangers use CWM. More power to the kids and their twrp. whatever. Pumped up kicks. outrun my recovery. CMW is for old pros that have been here for years, the twrp is more for the new kids that haven't been around on android for very long.

Lol

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Xparent Cyan Tapatalk 2

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Chelrie