Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By chubb
  • 1 Post By creccaj1
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default Advice for a 1st timer at unlocking bootloader

I have had the Verizon Galaxy Nexus since it was released in December, but have put off getting into unlocking the bootloader, rooting, etc. partly because of laziness and because of fear of screwing my phone up.
    I am sick of waiting for Jelly Bean and want it on my phone asap. Do I just need to unlock the bootloader and then install a rom, or do I have to root before installing anything? Could someone point in to some good directions for all of this. I see the unlocking instructions and that seems fairly simple, I'm just a little unsure as to whether I need to root to install a version of Jelly Bean or not. Help?

ROM
    Stock Xoom, Nexus 4 AOKP

Just look at this.

http://forums.androidcentral.com/sho....php?p=1709275

Dmmarck is one of the best to get help from in this forum.

Also you need to unlock to root. You can then relock and keep root if you want. I don't think you can install JB without root yet.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2
    Thanked by 3:
    zero neck likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by chubb View Post
    Just look at this.

http://forums.androidcentral.com/sho....php?p=1709275

Dmmarck is one of the best to get help from in this forum.

Also you need to unlock to root. You can then relock and keep root if you want. I don't think you can install JB without root yet.

You can't get Jelly Bean without root and an unlocked bootloader yet. Go to our root section and look at the studies from dmmarck. Also, Wugs toolkit is a very very easy way to unlock and root.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Xparent SkyBlue Tapatalk 2
    Thanked by 2:
    zero neck likes this.

ROM
    Stock Xoom, Nexus 4 AOKP

Quote Originally Posted by creccaj1 View Post
    You can't get Jelly Bean without root and an unlocked bootloader yet. Go to our root section and look at the studies from dmmarck. Also, Wugs toolkit is a very very easy way to unlock and root.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Xparent SkyBlue Tapatalk 2
    I wasn't thinking right. But you're correct with having to be unlocked.

5. Thread Author  Thread Author    #5  

Thanks!

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Android Central Forums
    Retired Moderator

ROM
    What do you think?

In theory, you don't need root. In fact, I haven't rooted my device the past few times I've re locked and unlocked.

You will, however, have root once you flash a rooted rom. Remember, all root is is access. Access granted by two files-an app and a binary.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Xparent Cyan Tapatalk 2
    Thanked by:
  7. Thread Author  Thread Author    #7  

Ok, based on advice on here and further reading, I'm planning on using the galaxy nexus tool kit made by mskip to unlock my nexus and root and allow me to install jelly bean. I've chosen bugless beast as the Rom I would like, because I want to have a version fairly close to stock.

Here are some more newbie questions.

Bugless beast says it needs a radio and a boot loader as well. Do I have to download those or can I just download the actual Rom?

It says that it would back up my current system with CWM recovery and can be restored that way. If I want to go back to stock and update to the official jellybean release, is that all I have to do?

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Android Central Forums