Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree4Likes
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default Google NOW is just a PITA

I want to like Google Now, I really do. But I'm having trouble with it and I don't know what to do to fix it. Here are my issues...

1. When I swipe up from the home button it can take 10+ seconds for Google Now to load and be ready. Really?

2. Often when I press the microphone it will say "initializing" and stay in that mode until I close it. Reopening it will often work but sometimes it says "initializing" for a few seconds even on the second time.

3. I press the microphone and the grey circle around it pulses. I know that it's not listening to me until the grey circle turns to red. Sometimes it doesn't hear me no matter what I say. This can be in a quiet room with no background sounds. Sometimes it will work if I yell at it very loudly. Certainly this wouldn't work in most public places. Other times it works perfect. I've tried holding it different as Steve Jobs would tell me to do but nothing helps when it's in this "old man" mode. What's really odd is that I know it hears me because the grey circle vibrates in synchrony with my voice. Very strange.

4. The cards are practically worthless. I always see the local temperature and sometimes I see time to my home or work but that's it. Nothing else appears. I know I've been told to be patient. However, it's been over 2 weeks now and I think I've been patient. The average noob would have trash talked this product all over the internet by now. When will cards with meaningful information show up? I get the temperature on my home page widget I don't need Google Now for that.

I'm using CM10 via Euroskank. Could it be their ROM is limiting the capabilities of Google Now?

Default Re: Google NOW is just a PITA

dude that sound like a pain...

I'm running Friday's 803 version, and it's been pretty much the same as all the G-now...

pretty quick and responsive... I do see a bug.. from the lock screen to G-Now, after unlocking pattern the Gnow screen is just gray... no cards, just a search bar...

now sure if they took care of it by now...

You can enable what kind of cards you want... for me, I just do it ALL...

The more you search on sign-in chrome, the more Gnow stuff will show up... start asking V-Search different interests of yours, the more will show...

How do you change your Home location? I went on vacation and apparently set it as my home. It keeps telling me how long the drive is going to be ...

I have only seen the weather and drive time too though.
  4. Thread Author  Thread Author    #4  

I should add that I do see the next appointment on my Exchange calendar. I don't use my calendar that way, though. I want to see the entire day at a time so the next appt by itself isn't very useful.

I believe I've enabled all cards.

The sluggishness has been there ever since I've upgraded to JB. It was that way on DroidVicious and it's that way on CM10. It improves to about only 2 seconds if I use it frequently. But it always seems to be slow when I need it most.

Try setting it in Latitude

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Android Central Forums

ROM
    CM10 JellyBro | Franco M5

Quote Originally Posted by ellisz View Post
    How do you change your Home location? I went on vacation and apparently set it as my home. It keeps telling me how long the drive is going to be ...

I have only seen the weather and drive time too though.
    Through your desktop, sign into your google account. Go to maps.google.com and then "My Places". There should be 2 labels where you can set your work and home location.

You can also set it on your phone through Latitude (as Droidintorrance mentioned above). But its just more convoluted.
    Last edited by Canuckfan; 08-05-2012 at 10:40 PM.

ROM
    given up keeping track

Quote Originally Posted by TabGuy View Post
    I'm using CM10 via Euroskank. Could it be their ROM is limiting the capabilities of Google Now?
    I'm running the same ROM as you, but I'm not experiencing any of the issues with Google Now that you've mentioned.
    Have you tried a complete wipe: cache, delvik, system, then a fresh install?

I don't think you can blame the ROM, or this surely would have been noted in the forums as a issue.

Try a re-install and see if that don't fix Google Now.
    Mobile Enthusiast

Global Posts
    601 Global Posts
    ROM
    AOKP JB B1/Franco M5

I want to like Google Now, I really do. But I'm having trouble with it and I don't know what to do to fix it. Here are my issues...

1. When I swipe up from the home button it can take 10+ seconds for Google Now to load and be ready. Really?

2. Often when I press the microphone it will say "initializing" and stay in that mode until I close it. Reopening it will often work but sometimes it says "initializing" for a few seconds even on the second time.

3. I press the microphone and the grey circle around it pulses. I know that it's not listening to me until the grey circle turns to red. Sometimes it doesn't hear me no matter what I say. This can be in a quiet room with no background sounds. Sometimes it will work if I yell at it very loudly. Certainly this wouldn't work in most public places. Other times it works perfect. I've tried holding it different as Steve Jobs would tell me to do but nothing helps when it's in this "old man" mode. What's really odd is that I know it hears me because the grey circle vibrates in synchrony with my voice. Very strange.

4. The cards are practically worthless. I always see the local temperature and sometimes I see time to my home or work but that's it. Nothing else appears. I know I've been told to be patient. However, it's been over 2 weeks now and I think I've been patient. The average noob would have trash talked this product all over the internet by now. When will cards with meaningful information show up? I get the temperature on my home page widget I don't need Google Now for that.

Try and keep in mind as well that the cards in google now are the most useful if you are traveling (At least at this point in development. Aside from the sports card which will show up before/during/after a game that is.

If you use the google search engine or google maps to find a certain locaion like a restaraunt, a card will show up giving you an ETA and traffic report. If you search a flight in google now, a card will show up updating you of flight times and delays for THAT flight. If you approach a bus stop, you get a card notifying you of the times and routes to expect for the buses that stop there.

It's a really neat tool but its very conditional. Don't think that it's not working simply because all you see is weather and 'to work' transit. I'm sure with updates more will be added.

i am loving google now and personally cannot do without it. it notifies me of my commute time each morning and evening, gives me a nice rundown of the bus schedule outside and catches me up on the weather and mets scores each day without me having to do any searching at all
    Nexus 5!
    The path to enlightenment begins with an unlocked bootloader...

twitter.com/indianajonze
    dboftlp likes this.

ROM
    Rooted/Unlocked Stk 4.4.3

Sounds like you flashed a bad ROM or did a dirty flash. Doesn't run that slow for me. Also, you can change the navigation buttons in some ROMs to add this feature. I have 4 navigation buttons, the fourth being search, and set up the long press to use Voice Search (Google Now). Works like gravy (or butter hehe).

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Android Central Forums
    [making a phone so big] "you can't get your hand around it"[ helps, but that] "no one's going to buy that." - Steve Jobs

The reason we [won't] make a 7-inch tablet isnt because we dont want to hit [a lower] price point, Jobs said. Its because we think the screen is too small to express the software. As a software driven company, we think about the software strategies first. - again, Steve Jobs

GoogleNow is apparently using the cell tower location rather than GPS. It routinely tells me that no traffic info is available for my area and I have a 12 minute commute home while I'm sitting in my recliner.

Quote Originally Posted by beerhound View Post
    GoogleNow is apparently using the cell tower location rather than GPS. It routinely tells me that no traffic info is available for my area and I have a 12 minute commute home while I'm sitting in my recliner.
    Well depending how many beers you drink, it could be right lol
    Thanked by:
    beerhound likes this.

ROM
    None

I'm running Bugless Beast. My Google Now is faster than Usain Bolt.
    Back to Big Red. Sprint was tooooo slow
    Click my Twitter | Galaxy Note 2
    ShahinTr likes this.

To be fair, all those faults you are stating are merely yours. I have not experienced any of the following, regarding the cards, do you travel often to various locations, take flights, then it would be useful. Google Now is brilliant, for the full experience, you need to link it with Google latitude.

Global Posts
    6 Global Posts

Make sure that you have web history enabled.

Google Now > Settings > Privacy and Accounts > Manage Web History.

I had mine set to off and nothing would show up except the weather, once I enabled it the rest of the cards started working.
    Thanked by:
    Canuckfan likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by bass_lover1 View Post

I had mine set to off and nothing would show up except the weather, once I enabled it the rest of the cards started working.
    Thank you for that. I was having the same problem and that fixed it

I'm using bugless beast and my G-Now can be slow at start up and sometimes when I use the voice function it does get stuck in the "initializing" stage. Idk if its because I use Titanium backup to backup and restore apps with data or what but I definitely see some of what you're saying.

I've been having the same problems you described in your post. It looks like the "Initializing" issue is releated to having a bluetooth connection going.

That makes sense for me as I have a bluetooth headset I like to use.

I'm running R-U-Jellin ROM on my Sprint GNex. I haven't had the initializing and listening problems that you describe, but I had some of the same feelings about the cards. I actually made the post below in the General Help and How To forum, here: http://forums.androidcentral.com/new...eply&p=2036096

Quote Originally Posted by jean15paul View Post
    So I flashed JB about 3 weeks ago, and the feature I was most excited about was Google Now. After using it for 3 weeks, I'm not impressed. The Voice Search is pretty good, but I feel like I'm not getting enough cards.

I thought Google Now was supposed to learn from me and automattically present me with relavent info (i.e. cards). I used Google Now for about 2 weeks and the only thing that I ever got was local weather. After 2 weeks I went to Maps and manually added my home and work locations, so now I get local weather and drive time to home and work. I've never got anything else. I've never gotten any sports updates (maybe when football season starts). I've never gotten cards for my next appointment, and I do use Google Calendar (maybe I need to add street addresses to all my appointments). I've never been shown "nearby interesting places".

All the cards are on except for "Public Transit", because I manually turned that one off when I initially started using it.

Anyway, am I doing something wrong? Were my expectations for Google Now too high? What's everyone else's experience.
    Since I wrote that, I have noticed that I get nav/ETA cards when I do a Google search for a location, even if I do that search on my desktop (assuming I'm signed into Google). I've also realized that there aren't many cards that are useful if you're not traveling. There's nav/ETA, weather, sports, next appointment (which I'm not sure if I've gotten), and "interesting places" (which I definitely haven't gotten).

I assume (hope?) that Google will be continuing to make improvements.

ROM
    Jelly Bean / ICS Stock

I have n7 and google now does everything its supposed to. I get cards for weather, sports, traffic for anything i search on any of my devices, traffic home, recent searches. Did you go to the settings and add all the cards to your google now feed?? Did you make sure everything is at a "high priority"??

Quote Originally Posted by a.d.am View Post
    I have n7 and google now does everything its supposed to. I get cards for weather, sports, traffic for anything i search on any of my devices, traffic home, recent searches. Did you go to the settings and add all the cards to your google now feed?? Did you make sure everything is at a "high priority"??
    Does setting everything as "high priority" get more cards to show up? I left all the priorities as their default settings. I assumed that only affected which cards were shown at the top and which were toward the bottom. Is that true?
  22. Thread Author  Thread Author    #22  

Ok, I think I've fixed my original issue. (I'm the OP).

But first, answers to your questions. Thanks for all the suggestions...

- Yes, I have a connection to lattitude.
    - Yes, I have search history turned on.
    - Yes, bluetooth is on, I always have it on.

How did I fix the problem? In my most recent install of CM10 I wiped cache and data. I didn't do a dirty install. Viola! Google Now is very snappy and I no longer get the "initializing" issue. It always recognizes my voice immediately.

Apparently something or some app was interfering with Google Now's performance.

ROM
    CM10 JellyBro | Franco M5

Quote Originally Posted by bass_lover1 View Post

Thanks. This definitely helped in getting my sport cards to show up. It still doesn't seem to learn from my Google Now searches (I assumed it should have) but once I searched my teams on my desktop Chrome, the sport card showed up soon after.

[edit]Just wanted to add that weather and traffic had already originally worked.
    Last edited by Canuckfan; 08-07-2012 at 05:41 PM.

Glad you got it working. I'm a student and have to commute to my college. I have the college address in my Google calendar and whenever one of my classes approaches it tells me when I need to leave for class. It has yet to be wrong and always gets me to class on time, if I don't stop for coffee.

Ok, I think I've fixed my original issue. (I'm the OP).

But first, answers to your questions. Thanks for all the suggestions...

- Yes, I have a connection to lattitude.
    - Yes, I have search history turned on.
    - Yes, bluetooth is on, I always have it on.

How did I fix the problem? In my most recent install of CM10 I wiped cache and data. I didn't do a dirty install. Viola! Google Now is very snappy and I no longer get the "initializing" issue. It always recognizes my voice immediately.

Apparently something or some app was interfering with Google Now's performance.
    Did you backup/restore any app data? I did a full wipe before installing CM10, but I also restored apps/data (titanium) and texts (SMS back and restore). I'd be fine doing this as long as I could keep my info.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast