Your Missing Pictures, Songs, etc. is due to ROM Manager

dmmarck

Retired Moderator
Dec 28, 2011
Visit site
Since there are a few disparate threads and posts on this, I wanted to unify them so it's easier to find the info for newcomers

ROM Manager recently updated, and for some unholy reason, decided to drop a ".nomedia" file into your SDcard. This means any media contained within your SDcard does not show up anymore. Here's what you do.

FIrst, uninstall and delete ROM Manager from system/app.

Second, find any and all .nomedia files in your sdcard folder and delete them.

Third, clear the caches of any and all affected apps, such as Gallery, Media Storage, Play Music, etc. Update: you may need to clear data in the Media Storage app as well.

Fourth, reboot your device into recovery, wipe cache/dalvik.

Fifth, reboot and it should be fine.

Any and all other fixes should be listed in here as well.

Do not reinstall ROM Manager until this issue is fixed; even with the new update users are still finding the same issue, so I'd wait a few days.

Last edited:

Johnly

Retired Moderator
Oct 6, 2010
Visit site
I wish people would just learn to use their recoveries and do everything themselves. There would be nothing to blame then if things go awry.

imnotajedi

May 24, 2011
Visit site
I have Rom Manager but never use it. I could not find any .nonmedia files. Does this only affect you if you actually use RM? I did delete the app as well. Until recently I thought it was weird that I never use ROM manager. Then I realized that no one using it.

dmmarck

Retired Moderator
Dec 28, 2011
Visit site
I have Rom Manager but never use it. I could not find any .nonmedia files. Does this only affect you if you actually use RM? I did delete the app as well. Until recently I thought it was weird that I never use ROM manager. Then I realized that no one using it.

If you didn't update it recently you're probably unaffected. Do your pictures show up in the Gallery? If so, you're fine.

This is yet another example of why this app is not the greatest to use.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Xparent Cyan Tapatalk 2

Reactions: J T M

J T M

Jul 24, 2010
Visit site
Since there are a few disparate threads and posts on this, I wanted to unify them so it's easier to find the info for newcomers

ROM Manager recently updated, and for some unholy reason, decided to drop a ".nomedia" file into your SDcard. This means any media contained within your SDcard does not show up anymore. Here's what you do...

Thanks for this. I just ran into this issue, and after running through all of the steps you listed, things still weren't working correctly. What finally did the trick was clearing data from Media Storage in the app manager. Rebooted after that, and things are back to normal.

Any idea as to why the ROM Manager devs would do something like this? Was it an oversight or something?

Reactions: dmmarck

dmmarck

Retired Moderator
Dec 28, 2011
Visit site
Thanks for this. I just ran into this issue, and after running through all of steps you listed, things still weren't working correctly. What finally did the trick was clearing data from Media Storage in the app manager. Rebooted after that, and things are back to normal.

Any idea as to why the ROM Manager devs would do something like this? Was it an oversight or something?

Thank you! I updated the OP so folks know to clear data from the Media Storage thing as well.

Honestly? There's no reason why ROM Manager should have a .nomedia file unless Koush (the dev) is planning on putting it in its own folder. Why it populated in the SDcard is an egregious oversight IMHO, and very, very sloppy.

Reactions: J T M

Mellimel22

Banned
Mar 1, 2012
Visit site
OK Im having a similar problem my music is in my phone but won't show up wit the default player it Google music but will show up with power amp and i also can't find any no media files on my SD card what should I do??

Sent from my Nexus S 4g rockin jellybean using Tapatalk 2

dmmarck

Retired Moderator
Dec 28, 2011
Visit site
OK Im having a similar problem my music is in my phone but won't show up wit the default player it Google music but will show up with power amp and i also can't find any no media files on my SD card what should I do??

Try clearing cache and data in that and Media Storage then rebooting.

CA1NE

Jun 28, 2012
Visit site
I actually didn't mind the touch recovery for cwm. Very smooth and easy navigation. If I hadn't had the problems with my backups and flashing new Roms I'd probably still be using it. But alas I can't change the past. That being said TWRP FTW!!!!!!!

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Android Central Forums

Reactions: KillerQ

dmmarck

Retired Moderator
Dec 28, 2011
Visit site
I actually didn't mind the touch recovery for cwm. Very smooth and easy navigation. If I hadn't had the problems with my backups and flashing new Roms I'd probably still be using it. But alas I can't change the past. That being said TWRP FTW!!!!!!!

I think the recovery is fine, it's just the app that has some conflicts. :)

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Xparent Cyan Tapatalk 2

CA1NE

Jun 28, 2012
Visit site
I think the recovery is fine, it's just the app that has some conflicts. :)

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Xparent Cyan Tapatalk 2

I never used RM the app after my DINC. Always used just the recovery with the gnex. After my first JB Rom I couldn't flash another one or do a backup from that point on. Even after all those updates. Maybe my phone just didn't like the recovery not really sure what happened

yodatom10

Mar 20, 2011
Visit site
Can we get this made into a blog post front page AC. I've answered this 5 times tonight getting sick of doing it. If we make it a blog post I think more people will see it and we can stop getting the same question over and over

Sent from my Jelly bean powered Galaxy Nexus

chubb

Nov 3, 2010
Visit site

Agree with you there. I had to completely redo my nexus the other week. Backups would bootloop and couldn't get anything to flash. Took two straight hours of trying different backups and ROM's to finally get one to work. Also didn't have access to a computer at the time, so that didn't help matters. Not 100% sure if it was RM, but gonna stay away from it from now on.

Mellimel22

Banned
Mar 1, 2012
Visit site
Try clearing cache and data in that and Media Storage then rebooting.

I think I cleared the dalvik stuff and uninstalled ROM manager but could u explain what else to do because I'm having the same problems lol kinda new on THIS ISSUE :confused:

braschlosan

Jul 24, 2012
Visit site
I'm cross posting here because this seems to be an active thread

In some instances Media Scanner will DELETE ALL THE PICTURES ON THE SD CARD
Here is an example google bug report on the issue http://code.google.com/p/android/issues/detail?id=3692
When a ".nomedia" file is added to a directory that has already been scanned by the media scanner, any jpg and gif files in that directory and all sub directories will be deleted.

I have lost a year of pictures because of this. Before you assume I am making a mistake realize that the SDcard is now connected directly to my laptop and a search of the entire drive (including subfolders) with the string *.jpg gives no results. I can post a screenshot if you like.

Rom Manager caused my pictures actually be deleted and I am using recovery tools that scan the free space to get them back

If any of you suffered as I did try this OPEN SOURCE recovery tool specifically made for recovering pictures from an SDcard - PhotoRec - CGSecurity

Here is a screenshot of my current progress
azhswk.jpg

edit: I just realized it also broke some of my applications that stored images on the sdcard that served as part of their menu system. SCREW YOU ROM MANAGER DEVS. I will never trust anything you publish from this day forward

Last edited:

Droidintorrance

Mar 29, 2011
Visit site
Happy Saturday fellas...

So.. you think this is something else we all have to do from now on... or

Will this be a bug fix.. still don't know exactly.. what is going on here..

Problem with the ROM manager only right..?

I'll probably restore backup.. or try to uninstall RM before.. flashing again... right?

This will sure discourage people from rooting and I'll probably be holding off a bit.. too.. but mainly.. I'm just really happy with my current setup..

Last edited:

yodatom10

Mar 20, 2011
Visit site
Happy Saturday fellas...

So.. you think this is something else we all have to do from now on... or

Will this be a bug fix.. still don't know exactly.. what is going on here..

Problem with the ROM manager only right..?

I'll probably restore backup.. or try to uninstall RM before.. flashing again... right?

This will sure discourage people from rooting and I'll probably be holding off a bit.. too.. but mainly.. I'm just really happy with my current setup..

ROM manager fixed the bug this should be an one time issue.

Sent from my Jelly bean powered Galaxy Nexus

Members online

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
m1000