Like Tree3Likes
  • 1 Post By jova33
  • 1 Post By ConTejas
  • 1 Post By downtownjeff
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

ROM
    cm7 android 2.3

Default [VZW][LTE] Google wallet build.prop

It seems as though Google keeps eliminating all the simple holes allowed you to install or update Google Wallet using the play store onto a VZW galaxy nexus.*

I got tired of it and modified my build.prop file like d2vzw owners are doing using root explorer to the GSM variant to trick the play store and allow me to install/update it.*

1.****** Made a nandroid backup
    2.****** Reset google wallet from inside the app.* (I had wallet previously sideloaded and installed in /system/app )
    3.****** Cleared the apps cache and data
    4.****** Made a copy of the build.prop file in /system and renamed it to build.prop.bak
    5.****** Using Root explorer I edited the build.prop file in /system to be as follows:

ro.product.name = yakju
    ro.product.device = maguro

6.****** RestartedÖand wala Google Wallet found the play store update and was auto-updating to the latest version by itself.

Iím rooted running Viscous-Toro-V1 (AOSP), WIFI/BT/GPS fix, FF02/FG02 radios from JRO03O.

Now my question since Iím not a genius. Since Iím rooted and ROMíed and not going to be receiving any OTA update or anything what would be the harm in leaving the modified build.prop file active?* The d2 owners talk about reverting back to the original file but since Iím just switching from a LTE galaxy nexus build.prop to a GSM Galaxy Nexus build.prop I wouldnít think but don't know if itíd do harm.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2
    Thanked by 3:

Default Re: [VZW][LTE] Google wallet build.prop

>> Now my question since Iím not a genius. Since Iím rooted and ROMíed and not going to be receiving any OTA update or anything
    >> what would be the harm in leaving the modified build.prop file active?* The d2 owners talk about reverting back to the original file
    >> but since Iím just switching from a LTE galaxy nexus build.prop to >> a GSM Galaxy Nexus build.prop I wouldnít think but don't
    >> know if itíd do harm.

I was wondering the same thing. I'm going to try it and see. I'll report back if it blows up.
  3. Thread Author  Thread Author    #3  

ROM
    cm7 android 2.3

I haven't had any issues yet.

I read that if you modified your build file to get svoice one will quit working. You can't have both and its either one or the other.

I don't have svoice though so its not an issue for me.

Android Enthusiast

ROM
    SKAnkCM10/Milestone6

Quote Originally Posted by Muddyml View Post
    It seems as though Google keeps eliminating all the simple holes allowed you to install or update Google Wallet using the play store onto a VZW galaxy nexus.*

I got tired of it and modified my build.prop file like d2vzw owners are doing using root explorer to the GSM variant to trick the play store and allow me to install/update it.*

1.****** Made a nandroid backup
    2.****** Reset google wallet from inside the app.* (I had wallet previously sideloaded and installed in /system/app )
    3.****** Cleared the apps cache and data
    4.****** Made a copy of the build.prop file in /system and renamed it to build.prop.bak
    5.****** Using Root explorer I edited the build.prop file in /system to be as follows:

ro.product.name = yakju
    ro.product.device = maguro

6.****** RestartedÖand wala Google Wallet found the play store update and was auto-updating to the latest version by itself.

Iím rooted running Viscous-Toro-V1 (AOSP), WIFI/BT/GPS fix, FF02/FG02 radios from JRO03O.

Now my question since Iím not a genius. Since Iím rooted and ROMíed and not going to be receiving any OTA update or anything what would be the harm in leaving the modified build.prop file active?* The d2 owners talk about reverting back to the original file but since Iím just switching from a LTE galaxy nexus build.prop to a GSM Galaxy Nexus build.prop I wouldnít think but don't know if itíd do harm.

Shouldn't be any harm, you just won't be getting OTA updates. Who cares really, your rooted and can flash any super custom rom out there.
    Just renamed the build prop like you mentioned here, rebooted and it instantly upgraded! Nice find and THANK YOU.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails [VZW][LTE] Google wallet build.prop-2012-09-13-20.07.23.jpg  
    Last edited by JkdJedi; 09-16-2012 at 03:51 PM.

What happens if you go back to the original build.prop?
    Edit: wallet still works
  6. Thread Author  Thread Author    #6  

ROM
    cm7 android 2.3

Quote Originally Posted by JkdJedi View Post
    Shouldn't be any harm, you just won't be getting OTA updates.
    That's what I wanted to hear. I like how its now listed in the list of "installed" apps from the play store now.

Android Enthusiast

ROM
    SKAnkCM10/Milestone6

Quote Originally Posted by jova33 View Post
    What happens if you go back to the original build.prop?
    Edit: wallet still works
    McDonalds is your friend

Tapatalk sent from Gnex

Global Posts
    27 Global Posts

Is there a reason you edited the build.prop files to what you did?

Sorry, completely new to this and wanting to root my phone.

Quote Originally Posted by bpyoung83 View Post
    Is there a reason you edited the build.prop files to what you did?

Sorry, completely new to this and wanting to root my phone.

Makes your phone believe it's GSM instead of Verizon. So it fools the play store too

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2
    Android Enthusiast

ROM
    SKAnkCM10/Milestone6

Quote Originally Posted by jova33 View Post
    Makes your phone believe it's GSM instead of Verizon. So it fools the play store too

It fools everything you load too so be careful with that, I was updating my recovery (TWRP) and it was about to load the GSM version of it, I really don't know what might have come about that if I didn't catch it. (should i try it)? Anyway, I side loaded the CDMA recovery instead, just a FYI.

I changed my build.prop back after downloading wallet

JkdJedi likes this.
  12. Thread Author  Thread Author    #12  

ROM
    cm7 android 2.3

Quote Originally Posted by JkdJedi View Post
    It fools everything you load too so be careful with that, I was updating my recovery (TWRP) and it was about to load the GSM version of it, I really don't know what might have come about that if I didn't catch it. (should i try it)? Anyway, I side loaded the CDMA recovery instead, just a FYI.
    Great info! :thumbup:

ClockworkMod Recovery prompts you to confirm if you have gsm, sprint, or Verizon.

New update to wallet. This trick still works.

Last edited by jova33; 10-04-2012 at 03:35 AM.

This isn't working fo rme. It will allow me to find and install it form the market, but it still gives me the message saying it isn't yet available for my device... :/

EDT: scratch that.. it worked after clearing data on Wallet...which is odd being I didn't have it installed before (just flashed a stock factory JB image)
    Last edited by Cory S; 10-04-2012 at 11:54 AM.

ROM
    Super Beans n Kernels

While this IS cool, it may lead some to believe sideloading the app is somehow more difficult than clicking a download link, opening your download folder, and installing it If you're a fan of auto install, great. I've had enough auto installed app "updates" that completely ruined the app so I tend to read a review or two and make a decision. My 2 cents.
    davidnc likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by ConTejas View Post
    While this IS cool, it may lead some to believe sideloading the app is somehow more difficult than clicking a download link, opening your download folder, and installing it If you're a fan of auto install, great. I've had enough auto installed app "updates" that completely ruined the app so I tend to read a review or two and make a decision. My 2 cents.
    Sideloading didn't work for me.

ROM
    Super Beans n Kernels

Quote Originally Posted by Cory S View Post
    Sideloading didn't work for me.
    Care to elaborate? What did you do and from which link? I've done it so many times without issue

Quote Originally Posted by ConTejas View Post
    Care to elaborate? What did you do and from which link? I've done it so many times without issue
    Same, I have done it on my own phone wiht no issue...but I just tried it on my Fiance's new Gnex and I get the message about the carrier not supporting it. I have tried 1.5-R79-v5.apk along with several others with no luck.

ROM
    Super Beans n Kernels

Same, I have done it on my own phone wiht no issue...but I just tried it on my Fiance's new Gnex and I get the message about the carrier not supporting it. I have tried 1.5-R79-v5.apk along with several others with no luck.
    That's odd, man. I just flashed CNA 3.6.6 and then newest gWallet without a hitch.
    [VZW][LTE] Google wallet build.prop-snap-yo.jpg

ROM
    Super Beans n Kernels

Did you have "unknown sources" checked in the security settings?

I just used this method and have wallet 1.5-R81-v4 working on my phone. Also reverted back to the original build.prop

EDIT: Flashed liquidsmooth JB V2.0 RC5 and lost wallet. The above method did not work with the new ROM. Found the answer here:
    post #690 Formula84 has a fix
    Last edited by downtownjeff; 10-12-2012 at 08:45 PM.
    JkdJedi likes this.

Global Posts
    4 Global Posts

OK this was genius, worked like a charm and made me feel so much safer than loading someone elses app that then looks at my credit card numbers. THANKS A LOT.