Results 1 to 22 of 22
Like Tree3Likes
  • 1 Post By jova33
  • 1 Post By ConTejas
  • 1 Post By downtownjeff
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  
    Muddyml's Avatar

    Posts
    106 Posts
    ROM
    cm7 android 2.3

    Default [VZW][LTE] Google wallet build.prop

    It seems as though Google keeps eliminating all the simple holes allowed you to install or update Google Wallet using the play store onto a VZW galaxy nexus.*

    *
    I got tired of it and modified my build.prop file like d2vzw owners are doing using root explorer to the GSM variant to trick the play store and allow me to install/update it.*

    *

    1.****** Made a nandroid backup
    2.****** Reset google wallet from inside the app.* (I had wallet previously sideloaded and installed in /system/app )
    3.****** Cleared the apps cache and data
    4.****** Made a copy of the build.prop file in /system and renamed it to build.prop.bak
    5.****** Using Root explorer I edited the build.prop file in /system to be as follows:

    ro.product.name = yakju
    ro.product.device = maguro

    6.****** RestartedÖand wala Google Wallet found the play store update and was auto-updating to the latest version by itself.

    *

    Iím rooted running Viscous-Toro-V1 (AOSP), WIFI/BT/GPS fix, FF02/FG02 radios from JRO03O.

    *

    Now my question since Iím not a genius. Since Iím rooted and ROMíed and not going to be receiving any OTA update or anything what would be the harm in leaving the modified build.prop file active?* The d2 owners talk about reverting back to the original file but since Iím just switching from a LTE galaxy nexus build.prop to a GSM Galaxy Nexus build.prop I wouldnít think but don't know if itíd do harm.

    Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2
    Thanked by 3:
  2. #2  

    Default Re: [VZW][LTE] Google wallet build.prop

    >> Now my question since Iím not a genius. Since Iím rooted and ROMíed and not going to be receiving any OTA update or anything
    >> what would be the harm in leaving the modified build.prop file active?* The d2 owners talk about reverting back to the original file
    >> but since Iím just switching from a LTE galaxy nexus build.prop to >> a GSM Galaxy Nexus build.prop I wouldnít think but don't
    >> know if itíd do harm.

    I was wondering the same thing. I'm going to try it and see. I'll report back if it blows up.
  3. Thread Author  Thread Author    #3  
    Muddyml's Avatar

    Posts
    106 Posts
    ROM
    cm7 android 2.3

    Default Re: [VZW][LTE] Google wallet build.prop

    I haven't had any issues yet.

    I read that if you modified your build file to get svoice one will quit working. You can't have both and its either one or the other.

    I don't have svoice though so its not an issue for me.

    Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2
  4. #4  
    JkdJedi's Avatar
    Android Enthusiast

    Posts
    2,106 Posts
    ROM
    SKAnkCM10/Milestone6

    Default Re: [VZW][LTE] Google wallet build.prop

    Quote Originally Posted by Muddyml View Post
    It seems as though Google keeps eliminating all the simple holes allowed you to install or update Google Wallet using the play store onto a VZW galaxy nexus.*

    *
    I got tired of it and modified my build.prop file like d2vzw owners are doing using root explorer to the GSM variant to trick the play store and allow me to install/update it.*

    *

    1.****** Made a nandroid backup
    2.****** Reset google wallet from inside the app.* (I had wallet previously sideloaded and installed in /system/app )
    3.****** Cleared the apps cache and data
    4.****** Made a copy of the build.prop file in /system and renamed it to build.prop.bak
    5.****** Using Root explorer I edited the build.prop file in /system to be as follows:

    ro.product.name = yakju
    ro.product.device = maguro

    6.****** RestartedÖand wala Google Wallet found the play store update and was auto-updating to the latest version by itself.

    *

    Iím rooted running Viscous-Toro-V1 (AOSP), WIFI/BT/GPS fix, FF02/FG02 radios from JRO03O.

    *

    Now my question since Iím not a genius. Since Iím rooted and ROMíed and not going to be receiving any OTA update or anything what would be the harm in leaving the modified build.prop file active?* The d2 owners talk about reverting back to the original file but since Iím just switching from a LTE galaxy nexus build.prop to a GSM Galaxy Nexus build.prop I wouldnít think but don't know if itíd do harm.

    Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2
    Shouldn't be any harm, you just won't be getting OTA updates. Who cares really, your rooted and can flash any super custom rom out there.
    Just renamed the build prop like you mentioned here, rebooted and it instantly upgraded! Nice find and THANK YOU.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails [VZW][LTE] Google wallet build.prop-2012-09-13-20.07.23.jpg  
    Last edited by JkdJedi; 09-16-2012 at 03:51 PM.
  5. #5  

    Default Re: [VZW][LTE] Google wallet build.prop

    What happens if you go back to the original build.prop?
    Edit: wallet still works
    Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2
  6. Thread Author  Thread Author    #6  
    Muddyml's Avatar

    Posts
    106 Posts
    ROM
    cm7 android 2.3

    Default Re: [VZW][LTE] Google wallet build.prop

    Quote Originally Posted by JkdJedi View Post
    Shouldn't be any harm, you just won't be getting OTA updates.
    That's what I wanted to hear. I like how its now listed in the list of "installed" apps from the play store now.

    Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2
  7. #7  
    JkdJedi's Avatar
    Android Enthusiast

    Posts
    2,106 Posts
    ROM
    SKAnkCM10/Milestone6

    Default Re: [VZW][LTE] Google wallet build.prop

    Quote Originally Posted by jova33 View Post
    What happens if you go back to the original build.prop?
    Edit: wallet still works
    Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2
    McDonalds is your friend

    Tapatalk sent from Gnex
  8. #8  
    bpyoung83's Avatar

    Posts
    26 Posts
    Global Posts
    27 Global Posts

    Default Re: [VZW][LTE] Google wallet build.prop

    Is there a reason you edited the build.prop files to what you did?

    Sorry, completely new to this and wanting to root my phone.

    Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2
  9. #9  

    Default Re: [VZW][LTE] Google wallet build.prop

    Quote Originally Posted by bpyoung83 View Post
    Is there a reason you edited the build.prop files to what you did?

    Sorry, completely new to this and wanting to root my phone.

    Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2
    Makes your phone believe it's GSM instead of Verizon. So it fools the play store too

    Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2
  10. #10  
    JkdJedi's Avatar
    Android Enthusiast

    Posts
    2,106 Posts
    ROM
    SKAnkCM10/Milestone6

    Default Re: [VZW][LTE] Google wallet build.prop

    Quote Originally Posted by jova33 View Post
    Makes your phone believe it's GSM instead of Verizon. So it fools the play store too

    Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2
    It fools everything you load too so be careful with that, I was updating my recovery (TWRP) and it was about to load the GSM version of it, I really don't know what might have come about that if I didn't catch it. (should i try it)? Anyway, I side loaded the CDMA recovery instead, just a FYI.
  11. #11  

    Default Re: [VZW][LTE] Google wallet build.prop

    I changed my build.prop back after downloading wallet

    Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2
    JkdJedi likes this.
  12. Thread Author  Thread Author    #12  
    Muddyml's Avatar

    Posts
    106 Posts
    ROM
    cm7 android 2.3

    Default Re: [VZW][LTE] Google wallet build.prop

    Quote Originally Posted by JkdJedi View Post
    It fools everything you load too so be careful with that, I was updating my recovery (TWRP) and it was about to load the GSM version of it, I really don't know what might have come about that if I didn't catch it. (should i try it)? Anyway, I side loaded the CDMA recovery instead, just a FYI.
    Great info! :thumbup:

    ClockworkMod Recovery prompts you to confirm if you have gsm, sprint, or Verizon.

    Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2
  13. #13  

    Default Re: [VZW][LTE] Google wallet build.prop

    New update to wallet. This trick still works.

    Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2
    Last edited by jova33; 10-04-2012 at 03:35 AM.
  14. #14  

    Default Re: [VZW][LTE] Google wallet build.prop

    This isn't working fo rme. It will allow me to find and install it form the market, but it still gives me the message saying it isn't yet available for my device... :/

    EDT: scratch that.. it worked after clearing data on Wallet...which is odd being I didn't have it installed before (just flashed a stock factory JB image)
    Last edited by Cory S; 10-04-2012 at 11:54 AM.
  15. #15  
    ConTejas's Avatar

    Posts
    830 Posts
    ROM
    Super Beans n Kernels

    Default Re: [VZW][LTE] Google wallet build.prop

    While this IS cool, it may lead some to believe sideloading the app is somehow more difficult than clicking a download link, opening your download folder, and installing it If you're a fan of auto install, great. I've had enough auto installed app "updates" that completely ruined the app so I tend to read a review or two and make a decision. My 2 cents.
    davidnc likes this.
  16. #16  

    Default Re: [VZW][LTE] Google wallet build.prop

    Quote Originally Posted by ConTejas View Post
    While this IS cool, it may lead some to believe sideloading the app is somehow more difficult than clicking a download link, opening your download folder, and installing it If you're a fan of auto install, great. I've had enough auto installed app "updates" that completely ruined the app so I tend to read a review or two and make a decision. My 2 cents.
    Sideloading didn't work for me.
  17. #17  
    ConTejas's Avatar

    Posts
    830 Posts
    ROM
    Super Beans n Kernels

    Default Re: [VZW][LTE] Google wallet build.prop

    Quote Originally Posted by Cory S View Post
    Sideloading didn't work for me.
    Care to elaborate? What did you do and from which link? I've done it so many times without issue
  18. #18  

    Default Re: [VZW][LTE] Google wallet build.prop

    Quote Originally Posted by ConTejas View Post
    Care to elaborate? What did you do and from which link? I've done it so many times without issue
    Same, I have done it on my own phone wiht no issue...but I just tried it on my Fiance's new Gnex and I get the message about the carrier not supporting it. I have tried 1.5-R79-v5.apk along with several others with no luck.
  19. #19  
    ConTejas's Avatar

    Posts
    830 Posts
    ROM
    Super Beans n Kernels

    Default Re: [VZW][LTE] Google wallet build.prop

    Quote Originally Posted by Cory S View Post
    Same, I have done it on my own phone wiht no issue...but I just tried it on my Fiance's new Gnex and I get the message about the carrier not supporting it. I have tried 1.5-R79-v5.apk along with several others with no luck.
    That's odd, man. I just flashed CNA 3.6.6 and then newest gWallet without a hitch.
    [VZW][LTE] Google wallet build.prop-snap-yo.jpg
  20. #20  
    ConTejas's Avatar

    Posts
    830 Posts
    ROM
    Super Beans n Kernels

    Default Re: [VZW][LTE] Google wallet build.prop

    Quote Originally Posted by Cory S View Post
    Same, I have done it on my own phone wiht no issue...but I just tried it on my Fiance's new Gnex and I get the message about the carrier not supporting it. I have tried 1.5-R79-v5.apk along with several others with no luck.
    Did you have "unknown sources" checked in the security settings?
  21. #21  

    Default Re: [VZW][LTE] Google wallet build.prop

    I just used this method and have wallet 1.5-R81-v4 working on my phone. Also reverted back to the original build.prop


    EDIT: Flashed liquidsmooth JB V2.0 RC5 and lost wallet. The above method did not work with the new ROM. Found the answer here:
    post #690 Formula84 has a fix
    Last edited by downtownjeff; 10-12-2012 at 08:45 PM.
    JkdJedi likes this.
  22. #22  
    schmidro's Avatar

    Posts
    1 Posts
    Global Posts
    4 Global Posts

    Default Re: [VZW][LTE] Google wallet build.prop

    OK this was genius, worked like a charm and made me feel so much safer than loading someone elses app that then looks at my credit card numbers. THANKS A LOT.

Posting Permissions

B