*Help* GSM ROM on my Verizon GNex

tockreativ

May 27, 2012
Visit site
I have unlocked and rooted my Verizon GNex like I've done with all my other phones. But when i went to flash it I realized I had put a GSM ROM on instead of a CDMA, and of course because I've done this sort of thing before I didn't backup. Ironically, because I've done this thing before I should've known better then to have not backed up. I can still move around in the bootloader and Clockwork Recovery but my PC is not recognizing the device and obviously it's not booting back to the factory. I need to fix this (if it's even possible) by 8pm, when I leave work tonight :p, as my phone is my hotspot for my internet at home. Thanks.

dmmarck

Retired Moderator
Dec 28, 2011
Visit site
I have unlocked and rooted my Verizon GNex like I've done with all my other phones. But when i went to flash it I realized I had put a GSM ROM on instead of a CDMA, and of course because I've done this sort of thing before I didn't backup. Ironically, because I've done this thing before I should've known better then to have not backed up. I can still move around in the bootloader and Clockwork Recovery but my PC is not recognizing the device and obviously it's not booting back to the factory. I need to fix this (if it's even possible) by 8pm, when I leave work tonight :p, as my phone is my hotspot for my internet at home. Thanks.

Windows machine? Download Wug's Toolkit, install the drivers, return to stock.

Also check out the stickies/my sig with regards to "return to stock." There's a video in there that will help you as well.

dmmarck

Retired Moderator
Dec 28, 2011
Visit site
Boot into recovery and ADB Push a new ROM.zip to your phone and flash.

No lost data.

Or this, which maintains your stuff. (Although I presume you don't have any data on there at the moment anyway :p).

Are you familiar with adb and fastboot commands?

tockreativ

May 27, 2012
Visit site
I unlocked and rooted it using Nexus Root Toolkit(which I believe is Wug's). But the Windows 7 cpu is not recognizing the GNex being plugged in. I assume that I am missing the ADB driver which I had to uninstall to unlock/root earlier today. So find Windows 7 ADB driver>download> push any CDMA ROM.zip to GNex> Happy me?

dmmarck

Retired Moderator
Dec 28, 2011
Visit site
I unlocked and rooted it using Nexus Root Toolkit(which I believe is Wug's). But the Windows 7 cpu is not recognizing the GNex being plugged in. I assume that I am missing the ADB driver which I had to uninstall to unlock/root earlier today. So find Windows 7 ADB driver>download> push any CDMA ROM.zip to GNex> Happy me?

In theory. You may be able to do it in recovery too, with the file manager there.

Also, for future reference, don't download anything that doesn't say toro :).

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Xparent Cyan Tapatalk 2

tockreativ

May 27, 2012
Visit site
Well , now I get the exclamation mark droid when I try and go into CWR. I can still get to the bootloader. Through Wug's I reinstall the drivers using PDANet and now I can find an "Android 1.0" under Devices and Printers but can not interface with it. I feel I am still missing a driver.

Looks to be the Samsung drivers

Not an issue with drivers as I plugged into another pc and still nothing. I know I'm not supposed to, and I haven't quite yet, but I'm beginning to panic.

Last edited:

tockreativ

May 27, 2012
Visit site
I have used the "Back to stock with current status checked to both "Device is on" then again with "can't boot up". The second try looked like it worked, but it didn't. I would love to not junk this phone, any ideas appreciated, thanks.

Jubakuba

Sep 12, 2012
Visit site
Personally, I know nothing about toolkits...I use Fastboot or ADB.
But is it showing any errors?

If you still need help Tonight...
I can TeamView (remotely control your PC) and help you...but it'll be late.
I get off of work at 1230 MST.

I assure you, your phone is fine.
We'll get 'er running.

tockreativ

May 27, 2012
Visit site
I don't have internet at home now due to my phone being my hotspot. I will be back at work 8:30am-ish till 5:15pm. But could stay a bit later if needed, thanks for the offer. There does seem to be a fastboot error in a small blue box at the bottom of the screen.

The error reads, "Fastboot Command Read Error -2147483647"

I'm calling it a night, thanks for all the help everyone.

vivek615

May 8, 2012
Visit site
The exclamation mark is normal for stock recovery (Android on back chest open with exclamation mark triangle just hold power then press volume up to get the menu from this scrren) if this is the case then reflash cwm (Toro version please! Not maguro not toroplus) in fastboot

Oh and adb doesn't work unless you're booted into an interface with USB debugging active... (custom recoveries like cwm have USB debugging so you'll be fine once you got drivers installed)

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

abtxpress

Dec 19, 2010
Visit site
Odin? Is there an Odin ROM? I don't ever see any Odin Roms out there but you should get the Odin screen by holding the vol down and power button.

dmmarck

Retired Moderator
Dec 28, 2011
Visit site
Odin? Is there an Odin ROM? I don't ever see any Odin Roms out there but you should get the Odin screen by holding the vol down and power button.

No, ODIN is not a "ROM" it's more or less a method of going back to stock that is unique to Samsung devices.

tockreativ

May 27, 2012
Visit site
Good morning, I decided to run Wug's 'Flash Stock + Unroot' with the 'Can't boot up' option this morning. Everything seemed to run fine. the flashstock.bat by Wug says to just wait for it to reboot, but the phone is back to the bootloader. BUT there is a new fasboot message in the blue box at the bottom of the screen now saying "FASTBOOT STATUS- OKAYI515. FC05". I know i515 is the CDMA GNex but what is FC05? And how do I proceed? Do I just select 'Start' with the power button or use the volume keys and select 'Recovery' which I know will give me Android on back chest open with exclamation mark triangle, then hold power button> use volume keys to select reboot?

Seeing that impatience is what got me in this mess in the first place I rationally thought it would get me out of it. So I selected 'Start'. Something new happened, my pc is currently trying to install 'SAMSUNG Mobile MTP Device'. The old news is that it is back at what I call the 'Google Unlocked' screen (Black screen, white google logo, unlocked padlock at the bottom). This tells me that Wug's failed to unroot and re-lock, or at best failed to re-lock it.

While typing this, pc failed to install the 'SAMSUNG Mobile MTP Device'.

Last edited:

tockreativ

May 27, 2012
Visit site
IT LIVES!!! IT LIVES IT LIVES IT LIVES!! I almost hate to say why I wasn't getting Wug's to flash the recovery but for future n0obs I will elaborate. Really it just took me going back through and double checking everything was set like it needed to be. Pull battery> boot into the bootloader> plug in to pc> right-click Wug's>open Wug's as administrator> and here was my issue... double check 'Your model type'!!! Make sure not just the hardware is correct but that you don't select IMM76I when you have IMM76K. > Finally click 'Launch' under 'Advanced Utilities' > 'Stock Recovery' under 'Restore Stock Recovery'.

So easy, just triple check all info before moving ahead and don't read ahead. Oh, and above all Keep Calm. Thanks again guys!

montanarayson

Sep 18, 2012
Visit site
on my verizon galaxy nexus ive unlocked and rooted it but when i try to flash jelly bean it either quits responding or it said an error occured while trying to run privilidged commands... how do i get around this to get JB installed

dmmarck

Retired Moderator
Dec 28, 2011
Visit site
on my verizon galaxy nexus ive unlocked and rooted it but when i try to flash jelly bean it either quits responding or it said an error occured while trying to run privilidged commands... how do i get around this to get JB installed

You don't need to be rooted to flash a rom. Are you familiar with roms and flashing? If not, please read my Don't Panic guide. It's in my signature right below this text :).

montanarayson

Sep 18, 2012
Visit site
im already rooted and unlocked im trying to go thru rom manager to flash to jelly bean but i get an error message that is saying an error occured while trying to run privilidged commands

dmmarck

Retired Moderator
Dec 28, 2011
Visit site
im already rooted and unlocked im trying to go thru rom manager to flash to jelly bean but i get an error message that is saying an error occured while trying to run privilidged commands

You probably aren't rooted then.

(1) Go to the Superuser app and update the binary, try again; if that doesn't work ==>

(2) Read my Don't Panic guide and learn the steps to manually install without the need to rely on ROM Manager. It's simpler and more effective. Don't Panic will explain it and have the steps.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cy3berOdyssey