[HOW TO] Enable home screen rotation with 4.1.2 *REQUIRES ROOT*

jean15paul

Trusted Member
Jun 17, 2011
Visit site
The Android 4.1.2 update allows launcher (home screen and app drawer) rotation into landscape for the Nexus 7 but not for the Galaxy Nexus. But if you have root you can enable launcher rotation with a simple addition to the build.prop.

Required: a rooted Galaxy Nexus running Android 4.1.2

1. Using a root capable file explorer (e.g. Root Explorer, ES File Explorer, etc) navigate to your build.prop file located at /system/build.prop
  2. Using a text editor, add this line to the bottom of the build.prop file "launcher.force_enable_rotation=true" (without the quotes). Recommended: make a backup of the original build.prop first
  3. Save the modified build.prop
  4. Reboot

That's all. Now your home screens and app drawer will rotate into landscape mode. There are build.prop editor apps that you can use, but I've never used those and can't speak to how they work.

*Disclaimer: I did this on a Sprint GNex, not a Verizon one, but it should work the same.

estods3

Sep 25, 2012
Visit site
I did like u said but I rebooted and I got no rotation its just the same as before

Here is a picture . don't mind the blue cursor thats just where I clicked when taking the screen shot

sent from my Verizon galaxy nexus running 4.2.1 ROM

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1355449170687.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1355449170687.jpg
    111.6 KB · Views: 12

estods3

Sep 25, 2012
Visit site
Never mind I put launched instead of launcher . I'm lucky I didn't brick my phone

estods3

Sep 25, 2012
Visit site
Well I fixed that and I still can't rotate my screen. I don't know , things like this never work for me. But if u see anything let me know thanks!

Chris Flowers

Jan 6, 2013
Visit site
Any idea why I can't get this to work please? My Note 2 is rooted. I used ES File Explorer to modify that file. It's all spelt correctly. The line I placed it AFTER was:

dalvik.vm.stack-trace-file=/data/anr/traces.txt

That was the very last line in the file. My Note 2 is:

Model: GT-N7105
Android: 4.1.2

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
calvinxander08