Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Jubakuba
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default Unlocked and Rooted. Now what?

User name says it all. I have a Nexus and have unlocked and rooted with the Wug's tool kit. I did save and recover all apps and data which from what I just read might be a mistake.? I did it to have google wallet, just because it's kinda cool and I don't like being told I can't have something that I should be able to have. I guess might question is, now what? I have read about ROMs and Kernels and settings that I can now access but I don't see any difference other that now I have wallet. Please keep in mind that you are talking to a complete novice that until a few months ago had a flip phone. Where do I go from here?

Global Posts
    5,846 Global Posts
    ROM
    AOKP

Default Re: Unlocked and Rooted. Now what?

Quote Originally Posted by confusedx2 View Post
    User name says it all. I have a Nexus and have unlocked and rooted with the Wug's tool kit. I did save and recover all apps and data which from what I just read might be a mistake.? I did it to have google wallet, just because it's kinda cool and I don't like being told I can't have something that I should be able to have. I guess might question is, now what? I have read about ROMs and Kernels and settings that I can now access but I don't see any difference other that now I have wallet. Please keep in mind that you are talking to a complete novice that until a few months ago had a flip phone. Where do I go from here?
    ROMs are a lot of fun and can bring you a new world of enjoyment for your phone. As a newbie to the scene, definitely be sure to read Dmmarck's Hitchhiker's Guide to the Gnex (stickied up top), a lot of good info, tips, etc can be gleaned from there. Also check out my TiBu guide (link in my signature) for info on how to backup and restore the apps and data you need if you do decide you want to try out some ROMs. Just do some reading, research, and ask questions, and we'll all help you out. Everything can seem a bit overwhelming at first but it's really pretty basic, you'll be fine if you follow the advice you get here

Also just for the record.. you should not have needed to unlock and root to use Wallet. You only need to check the option under security settings to allow installation of apps from unknown sources, then download the Wallet apk which you find in many of the threads we have on Wallet. It should install and work just fine, root unneeded

Restore all apps or whatever that you backed up now...
    I don't know what kind of backup wugs uses; but either way you're going to be restoring them on the same system so now is the time to do so.
    Then; use the section of my signature that details installing a rom.
    Particularly the backing up and restoring of applications.

I'd wait until the Milestone is released to actually flash anything...
    But AOKP is a fantastic rom with a BOATLOAD of options.

Releasing tonight.
    Thanked by:
  4. Thread Author  Thread Author    #4  

Cool, thanks for the info. I have heard that you need to be rooted for a lot of stuff so I thought I would go ahead and do it. Even some features of Avast anti-theft could only be used if it was rooted. I will be honest, I don't even know what the hell rooted means. But I am now.

Quote Originally Posted by confusedx2 View Post
    Cool, thanks for the info. I have heard that you need to be rooted for a lot of stuff so I thought I would go ahead and do it. Even some features of Avast anti-theft could only be used if it was rooted. I will be honest, I don't even know what the hell rooted means. But I am now.
    And this would be why I dislike toolkits...
    All root does is install a new system application (superuser) that can grant/disallow root access to other applications.
    Once these applications are granted root acces they are given the ability to read/write system data: which is needed in many situations.
    Thanked by:
    2defmouze likes this.