4.2 Keyboard

Paul627g

AC Moderator All-Star
Nov 25, 2010
Visit site
Its a little weird at first but I'm liking it. Plus auto spacing works in dolphin browser which is more than I can say for Swype ;)
Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Android Central Forums

JkdJedi

Aug 20, 2010
Visit site
Ok, I'm still getting used to it. I still don't like that it won't capitalize i unless you press space.
Is there anyway to theme just the keyboard? I like the way my theme is set up, mostly stock looking with zenyth keys and steel blue by team carbon go launcher theme applied to Nova launcher. This keyboard is ugly though.
http://img.tapatalk.com/d/12/11/01/devetu9u.jpghttp://img.tapatalk.com/d/12/11/01/e7aduguj.jpg

Sent from my wireless telephonic device.
I've only seen the Cap problem in the Tapatalk app, AutoCap works great in Messenger app,

bakerbert

Mar 22, 2011
Visit site
yes,
If you just install the app you can set it just like any third party keyboard. you can change your default keyboard in settings>language & input.

Paul627g

AC Moderator All-Star
Nov 25, 2010
Visit site
Can you install it without replacing the stock keyboard?

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

Sure can. Heck I've got the stock keyboard from JB, Swype Beta, Swiftkey and now this 4.2 keyboard all installed. Just swap out to the one you want to use.

bdGDL08

Apr 1, 2011
Visit site
Not to crap on OP, but there is what seems to be a newer version over on Rootz. The differences I notice are a thicker trace line and the word that pops up when swiping is formatted differently.

EDIT:
Upon further use, prediction doesn't show up properly, making the keyboard nearly useless.

Drew

Last edited:

JkdJedi

Aug 20, 2010
Visit site
Not to crap on OP, but there is what seems to be a newer version over on Rootz. The differences I notice are a thicker trace line and the word that pops up when swiping is formatted differently.

EDIT:
Upon further use, prediction doesn't show up properly, making the keyboard nearly useless.

Drew

OP updated :p

Tapatalk sent from the GneX

Paul627g

AC Moderator All-Star
Nov 25, 2010
Visit site
Even though this keyboard doesn't have a functional word prediction the way we would like it I still find it a nice alternative for those who came from Swype. I would stick it out with Swype personally but since the JB update the auto spacing when posting here in the forums or typing in an email, etc. is broken and thats a no go for me. Let me clarify I know auto spacing works in some situations but since I use Dolphin browser and its broken autospacing this is a nice "working" alternative.

Overall not a bad attempt IMO by Google for a stock keyboard.

gb525

Oct 18, 2012
Visit site
I like it closest thing to swype I've found actually think it's better, but I'll reserve that judgement till I've used it a little longer

SeigaGen

Sep 28, 2011
Visit site
The latest version of the 4.2 keyboard is very impressive!

aqudatyn.jpg

Brought to you by the Google Galaxy Nexus. It IS better than the iPhone 5.

ClinchDroid

Dec 29, 2009
Visit site
This keyboard is great, but it still needs secondary functions on the main keyboard. I will probably use Swiftkey Flow when it comes out.

bawoo

Sep 14, 2010
Visit site
I've downloaded the second link (updated keyboard) from the dropbox but it comes as a .zip How can I get it onto my phone like an apk? I put it on the root of my internal SD card and when i when into CWM, it wouldn't install it..

Suggestions?

JkdJedi

Aug 20, 2010
Visit site
I've downloaded the second link (updated keyboard) from the dropbox but it comes as a .zip How can I get it onto my phone like an apk? I put it on the root of my internal SD card and when i when into CWM, it wouldn't install it..

Suggestions?

Manually flash into recovery, work your way to the zip file and have at it. Enjoy.

Tapatalk sent from the GneX

Dave_k605

Jun 17, 2012
Visit site
Ok, since no one is asking about the elephant in the room, I will.

Keyboards can be very dangerous. Bad guys making bad rogue keyboards can capture keystrokes. Not good.

So, it begs the question: How do we know this isn't a rogue keyboard put in the wild to capture our valuable user IDs and passwords?

I'm not trying to be snarky here, just cautious.

Do you know how absurd this sounds?

I would have to imagine that making a gesture based keyboard takes quite awhile, and more time than a rouge app maker would spend to gain nearly no solid harmful info.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2

bdGDL08

Apr 1, 2011
Visit site
Do you know how absurd this sounds?

I would have to imagine that making a gesture based keyboard takes quite awhile, and more time than a rouge app maker would spend to gain nearly no solid harmful info.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2

Yes, but it probably Epiphany be that time consuming to grab the leaked keyboard and hack a keylogger into it. Just playing devil's advocate.

Drew

Iceman0803

Jul 16, 2010
Visit site
Installed the new keyboard by putting the apk from the zip into the system/apps folder. AOSP keyboard works fine but when I try to switch back to the original it gets stuck in a force close loop. Only way to stop this is to switch back to the AOSP keyboard. Anyone know what I did wrong?

EDIT: Reinstalled using CWM and now everything works like it should.

Last edited: