Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default Cant seem to install Android 4.2 update.

Hey guys, my verizon galaxy nexus is supposed to be receiving a android 4.2 jellybean Update today, except I am currently running a custom 4.1 jellybean rom, my problem is I cant figure out how to install 4.2? I've tried the following options: Flashing the update(Clockwork mod wouldn't flash it!), I've tried the root toolkit, I tried looking for the option in clockwork "apply update from adb.", and I tried flashing back to stock but couldn't find a way to do it.

And Im stuck.
    So if anyone can help: Thanks

Global Posts
    5,846 Global Posts
    ROM
    AOKP

Default Re: Cant seem to install Android 4.2 update.

No it isn't.. Verizon Gnex won't get the OTA for 2 months or so.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2
  3. Thread Author  Thread Author    #3  

I believe it's only for the "takju" models right now - not the VZW or any non-Play Store version.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Android Central Forums
  5. Thread Author  Thread Author    #5  

Ok, so then "takju" means att and tmobile? or no? and also what do you mean "non-Play Store version." ?

Global Posts
    5,846 Global Posts
    ROM
    AOKP

Quote Originally Posted by Capeorigins View Post
    Ok, so then "takju" means att and tmobile? or no? and also what do you mean "non-Play Store version." ?
    takju is the Play Store version, not necessarily tmo/att. Ours is "mysid", if you were curious

Quote Originally Posted by Capeorigins View Post
    "non-Play Store version" means versions of the Gnex not sold through the Play Store (Verizon's is one of those sold outside the Play Store). For us Verizon users, we need to wait months for an OTA update, or better yet wait a couple of days to flash a custom rom.

You will not see this update as an OTA for months. That's how Verizon rolls, and that's we'll never see another Nexus device on Verizon. However, if you unlock/root the phone, you'll probably be able to install this update in a day or two. If you don't want to unlock/root your GN, I have no idea why you got one...that's what this phone was meant to do.
    Semper Fi
    I love my LG Nexus 5!
    Take better pictures with your cell phone camera...http://www.bigshotmoms.com/

Quote Originally Posted by greydarrah View Post
    You will not see this update as an OTA for months. That's how Verizon rolls, and that's we'll never see another Nexus device on Verizon. However, if you unlock/root the phone, you'll probably be able to install this update in a day or two. If you don't want to unlock/root your GN, I have no idea why you got one...that's what this phone was meant to do.
    Rumor has it Verizon is getting the nexus 4.

Quote Originally Posted by trunks527 View Post

<larry the cable guy> I don't care who you are, that's funny! </larry the cable guy>

11. Thread Author  Thread Author    #11  

Hey again, cool thanks for the info, and yes I did root it and unlocked it the first day I got it . But do you know of any roms based on 4.2? or a way to flash 4.2?, because I had a custom rom with 4.2 Gapps but I was really looking forward to using 4.2.

Thanks.

Hi guys im new here but i just rooted my galaxy nexus from verizon and it worked fine. Afterward i tried to get the 4.2 camera, clock, gallery, and keyboard and they all failed! Everytime i open any of those apps it says ''gallery has stopped'' or ''clock has stopped''. My question is can i fix this ? If i get a custom 4.2 rom will it give me my camera gallery clock and keyboard back? Help please.

13. Thread Author  Thread Author    #13  

Quote Originally Posted by estods3 View Post
    Hi guys im new here but i just rooted my galaxy nexus from verizon and it worked fine. Afterward i tried to get the 4.2 camera, clock, gallery, and keyboard and they all failed! Everytime i open any of those apps it says ''gallery has stopped'' or ''clock has stopped''. My question is can i fix this ? If i get a custom 4.2 rom will it give me my camera gallery clock and keyboard back? Help please.

Hmm... Interesting, it worked for me. try flashing it again? if not then maybe try a different gapps if theyre available.

Can you just wipe and flash the ota update? I'm running aokp now

ROM
    AOKP

Quote Originally Posted by 2defmouze View Post
    takju is the Play Store version, not necessarily tmo/att. Ours is "mysid", if you were curious

Hold up, I thought we were toro? Or is that something completely different
    nothing nothing nothing

I got the keyboard to work! Im using it now. I tried to get the camera and gallery again from thisJelly Bean 4.2 Camera forum but it didn't work. I put the gallarygoogle.apk in system app with proper permissions and I put the gmscore.apk in the same spot with same permissions. Then I put the two lib files from the two links from dmmarck's second post in the lib folder unzipped with the proper permissions.

Global Posts
    5,846 Global Posts
    ROM
    AOKP

Quote Originally Posted by Jaredshoes View Post
    Hold up, I thought we were toro? Or is that something completely different
    We are Toro... Nexus devices technically have 2 'codenames', for no other reason than to make things more complicated for you, lol jk

Galaxy Nexus devices come in Maguro and Toro flavors (and Toroplus, for Sprint), while the Maguro flavor comes in yakju and takju varieties and the Toro one is known as mysid. Confused yet? Don't stress it, it's not something you need to worry about really

Quote Originally Posted by trunks527 View Post

I'll believe that when it happens. I really don't care if they get another one or not. I'm about ready to bail on Verizon. They've gotten too big, powerful, expensive and dictatorial for my personal taste. If the user reviews look good for the N4, I'm leaving for T Mobile. I know the service wont be as good, but the more people that hook up with other carriers, the more money they have to expand coverage. Besides, it's the only way a person can communicate their dissatisfaction with Verizon.
    Semper Fi
    I love my LG Nexus 5!
    Take better pictures with your cell phone camera...http://www.bigshotmoms.com/
  19. Thread Author  Thread Author    #19  

OK. So I found and installed 4.2 jellybean!!!!! Go here: [ROM] Team SyEnce AOSP 4.2 Jelly Bean MR1 - xda-developers

If anyone finds any other 4.2 ROMs post them here.

Enjoy

How is it working so far?

Quote Originally Posted by j.glik14 View Post
    How is it working so far?

From the looks of the posts on that site ...not so good