Lower data signal strength with 4.2.1?

Nakrohtap

Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2011
Visit site
Has anyone experienced lower signal strength after updating to 4.2.1? I have noticed a lot more when I look at my phone that it is frequently more in 3G than it used to be. I checked an area at work I checked for a different thread about a month ago. I was getting -90. Now, in the same room I am getting -100. I read something in the past week or so about people doing a battery and SIM pull to "reset" their signal in some ways.
Tried that with no improvement.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

ConTejas

Nov 9, 2011
Visit site
The rom has little to zero effect on signal strength. You still have the same radios, so the culprit would be your kernel. No issues running franco's r342. I did a sim/battery pull to reset the PRL too (preferred roaming list...does same as *228 does on non LTE devices). Make sure you leave the sim/battery out for at least 90 secs.

Franco's 4.2.x zips if you want to give 342 a try
Index of /franciscofranco/Galaxy Nexus/JB/JB-4.2/zips

Nakrohtap

Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2011
Visit site
The rom has little to zero effect on signal strength. You still have the same radios, so the culprit would be your kernel. No issues running franco's r342. I did a sim/battery pull to reset the PRL too (preferred roaming list...does same as *228 does on non LTE devices). Make sure you leave the sim/battery out for at least 90 secs.

Franco's 4.2.x zips if you want to give 342 a try
Index of /franciscofranco/Galaxy Nexus/JB/JB-4.2/zips

I know that logically it can't be the ROM that is giving me lower signals. But, it's just something that I noticed over the past couple of days.
I went with the stock kernel at first. I couldn't stand that I couldn't adjust the gamma, so I flashed the Tiny kernel.
I read last week that people weren't giving the new 4.2 Franco kernel good reviews. I have that app, but have been hesitant to flash one for the 4.2.1 yet.

ConTejas

Nov 9, 2011
Visit site
I know that logically it can't be the ROM that is giving me lower signals. But, it's just something that I noticed over the past couple of days.
I went with the stock kernel at first. I couldn't stand that I couldn't adjust the gamma, so I flashed the Tiny kernel.
I read last week that people weren't giving the new 4.2 Franco kernel good reviews. I have that app, but have been hesitant to flash one for the 4.2.1 yet.

Hmm..well I haven't had any issues with r342. Used tiny on muzzy and wasn't into trickster. You could always dirty back to the "stock" kernel if you don't like it. I'm curious to see of it helps you

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Android Central Forums

Nakrohtap

Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2011
Visit site
I did another SIM and battery pull this morning...this time for 2 minutes instead of the 20-30 seconds when I did it yesterday.
First reading was -94 dBm, but it quickly went down to -105 dBm.
I flashed 12/7 build after that, along with the Franco r342 kernel.
I went and checked again and got a -95 dBm reading.
Not sure if it helped that much. But, I am going to keep an eye on it to see if I get any better readings overall as I know what the readings should be in some other areas in my car on the way home.

jmorosky

Apr 26, 2010
Visit site
I did another SIM and battery pull this morning...this time for 2 minutes instead of the 20-30 seconds when I did it yesterday.
First reading was -94 dBm, but it quickly went down to -105 dBm.
I flashed 12/7 build after that, along with the Franco r342 kernel.
I went and checked again and got a -95 dBm reading.
Not sure if it helped that much. But, I am going to keep an eye on it to see if I get any better readings overall as I know what the readings should be in some other areas in my car on the way home.

Did the SIM and battery pull do the trick? I just upgraded to CM10.1 and my signal is turrible. Using LK 5.4 kernel. I'm getting 1X in areas where I used to get 3G.

Sent from my Island using my Smoke Monster

MRW1215

Apr 6, 2011
Visit site
My signal seems fine (I mean, I rarely have any problems actually getting a connection), but I've noticed since running 4.2 ROMs, the signal indicator in the top right of the phone always only shows one or two bars. Back when I was still on the AOKP 4.1 Milestone, I'd frequently have 3-4 bars. Now, it's always one or two.

Nakrohtap

Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2011
Visit site
Did the SIM and battery pull do the trick? I just upgraded to CM10.1 and my signal is turrible. Using LK 5.4 kernel. I'm getting 1X in areas where I used to get 3G.

Sent from my Island using my Smoke Monster

It seems better after switching from whatever kernel I was using at the time more so than a SIM pull. I have been using LK as well for the past couple of weeks for various reasons.

Nakrohtap

Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2011
Visit site
To summarize the issues I have found with kernels on my phone...

Stock - couldn't adjust color settings in ROM.
Tiny - bad signal strength.
Franco - screen wouldn't wake sometimes.
Trinity - just couldn't adjust the colors correctly to my liking.
Lean - seems like the right balance of everything.

HurrrDurrrDURP

Mar 27, 2012
Visit site
I can confirm that you will have a differently PRL with 4.2.1 vs 4.1.2, I recently was on cyanogenmod 10.1 and was running a PRL version of 59972(Mixture of these numbers, its been a few days), while on bugless beast I have 15192 series. Tbh I think Verizon is getting ready to launch a stock 4.2.1 for our phones(Especially when sprints Galaxy Nexux is running it) and is testing out a new PRL for the ROM.

Also i got that PRL After a Battery/SIM pull while on 4.2.1

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chuckm