Why is my phone slow?

cobra617

May 22, 2010
Visit site
Hey all,
Recently I have noticed that my phone has been really slow. I am running CM10 nightlies with Franco Kernel (1420Mhz). I chalked it up to the fact that I have been dirty flashing for a while.
When I run AnTutu benchmark my scores seem on par with what it should get (a score of around 8000). But in daily use, the phone is slow. It seems to stutter and hiccup (my technical description) Typing is especially a chore. Once I start typing, it might take 5-6 characters in before text starts to appear.

So recently, I was about to flash a new update. I boot into CWM and run a backup. This backup would normally take 5-10 mins. This was my first backup since I noticed my phone being slow. This backup took over an hour. So now I am suspecting that it isn't the Rom but maybe a hardware issue.
Any thoughts?

Thanks.

zkSharks

Retired Moderator
Mar 15, 2011
Visit site
It's possible that it's a hardware/software combination problem, and your current configuration is simply just 'slow.' It happens sometimes, and the best way to get past it is just clean things up and flash something new. On that note, however, if you've been dirty flashing for a while, it might be time to perform a full wipe and start from a clean slate so to speak.

Also, if you don't usually, I'd check the MD5 hashes of your ROM and kernel before flashing, just to be sure everything came down the pipes correctly. ;)

ConTejas

Nov 9, 2011
Visit site
It's pretty much a crackflashing cardinal sin to question any hiccups, bugs, or what have you if you've dirty flashed. Just saying bud ;) I've been riding dirty unicorns for a bit myself without issue, but it's only a matter of time before that hiccup comes that requires a clean flash.

Nakrohtap

Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2011
Visit site
One more reason not to put a lot of stock into benchmark results. If the phone doesn't pass the eyeball test for smoothness, the highest scores in the world won't make you feel any better.
I finally did a full wipe after a while of dirty flashing when I upgraded to 4.2.1 in the last couple of weeks. Makes a big difference.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2