Are there noticable differences between 4.2.1 ROMS?

bjrosen

Mar 19, 2011
Visit site
I'm currently running a CyangenMod 10.1 nightly on my Verizon GN, I have no complaints but I was wondering what the virtues are of other ROMs. Are there any significant differences between the many ROMS that are out there?, CM, LiquidSmooth, MMuzzy, et al. Has anyone done a comparison between ROMs, could you list the differences.

TabGuy

Jul 3, 2011
Visit site
I'm currently running a CyangenMod 10.1 nightly on my Verizon GN, I have no complaints but I was wondering what the virtues are of other ROMs. Are there any significant differences between the many ROMS that are out there?, CM, LiquidSmooth, MMuzzy, et al. Has anyone done a comparison between ROMs, could you list the differences.

Yes, absolutely. I'm running a version of AOKP put out by Euroskank. The biggest difference is in the features included within the ROM itself.

I have CM 10.1 (Android 4.2.1) on my Galaxy Tab 10.1 so I can see the differences. I wish AOKP (4.2.1) were available for the Tab as I'd jump in a minute. Alas, I doubt it will ever happen for the aging Tab.

The good news is that you can do a Nandroid backup, try AOKP for a few hours and go right back if you don't like it.

Here are a few examples of why I like AOKP better...

- One of the biggest advantages is the navigation bar. Up to 7 items on the bar and each one can have a short press and a long press action. That's 14 items available no matter what app you're in. You can put apps on the Nav bar. You almost don't need a launcher.

- Custom made vibrations. You can almost tap out morse code when the phone is in your pocket.

- Status bar actions. You can cause an app to run or other actions when you tap on the clock in the status bar.

- Kill All button on recents.

- Allow 180 degree rotation even on the lock screen. This phone has no physical buttons on the screen. It's made for 180 degree rotation at any time.

- Show RAM usage on the recents screen.

- Change the carrier label. Yeah, this isn't much but instead of "Verizon Wireless" my phone says "Go Bruins!"

- Lots of customization to the stuff in the status bar. (Toggles, clock, signal, etc.)

The bottom line is that there are purists that want an experience as close to pure Google as possible. AOKP ain't that. It's an experience that lets you customize almost everything.

You can get the Euroskank version of AOKP (Called AOSKP) here. There are frequent updates, the latest one was yesterday.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kerokekerol