Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default Root after 4.2.2

Hey,

I am currently running a 100% stock 4.2.2 cdma galaxy nexus which is need of being unlocked & rooted. I have downloaded Wug's Toolkit, but there is not an option available yet for build 4.2.2. on a galaxy nexus, just on the nexus 10,7,4. It is however available for (GSM/HSPA+), but I use CDMA

- I tried any build but that didn't help.
    - I tried doing a factory reset, but that still leaves me on 4.2.2.
    - I also tried booting into recovery mode, but it says no command because the phone is still locked.

my last thought would be trying the JDQ39 GSM/HSPA+ build, but I am not sure how that would go over w/ a CDMA phone

Does anybody have any ideas or suggestions?

Default Re: Root after 4.2.2

The rooting process still remains the same. If you have ever done it manually its not a big deal.

I would use Wug's to install the drivers since they are such a pain in the *** but then just do it manually.

Full instructions can be found in the thread below.

[GUIDE] How To Unlock Bootloader and Root Verizon Galaxy Nexus
    Paul
    Moderator Team Leader @ Android Central

I am the Tegra Champ. What this means is that from time to time NVIDIA might send me new products to try out. This will not affect my thoughts, ideas, or opinions about any product that are discussed in the forums. Those are still my own.
  3. Thread Author  Thread Author    #3  

ok, I feel a little retarded but I can't find the link for the r3-galaxynexus superboot.zip. I am signed in but I don't see where I can download it, only where to download su.zip and CWR
    Dab King

ROM
    BAKED 4

Deleted, wrong spot

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2
    Pass the Dutchie on the left hand side

Quote Originally Posted by PeteZa_Guy View Post
    ok, I feel a little retarded but I can't find the link for the r3-galaxynexus superboot.zip. I am signed in but I don't see where I can download it, only where to download su.zip and CWR
    The link is there anymore, but you don't need it. The files you need (fastboot, adb, etc.) are included in Wug's toolkit, or you can just download the Android SDK here.

I get to the bootloader screen and then go to a command prompt on my PC. However, at the "cd root" part, nothing happens...just "the system cannot find the path specified." I've been trying to read all over the place how to root my dang phone and it seems like it's the most complicated thing. Can someone help please?

Global Posts
    225 Global Posts

I don't see an update to wug's toolkit to 1.6.4 yet (that would support 4.2.2 on the VZW Gnex) but I believe there is another toolkit that does the job. Click the link below and scroll down to mskip's post. He updated his tool kit to support it. The link to instructions, YouTube video and download are in the footer of his post.

[GNEX TOOLKIT V11.1] Drivers, Backup, Unlock, Pg 129 | Galaxy Nexus > XDA

If you still haven't been able to root it the old fashioned way let us know if this tool kit helped?

Quote Originally Posted by Stides View Post
    I don't see an update to wug's toolkit to 1.6.4 yet (that would support 4.2.2 on the VZW Gnex) but I believe there is another toolkit that does the job. Click the link below and scroll down to mskip's post. He updated his tool kit to support it. The link to instructions, YouTube video and download are in the footer of his post.

[GNEX TOOLKIT V11.1] Drivers, Backup, Unlock, Pg 129 | Galaxy Nexus > XDA

If you still haven't been able to root it the old fashioned way let us know if this tool kit helped?
    I used this toolkit and it worked just fine but I was on 4.2.1. 4.2.2 should be an option for the Verizon builds, but I'm not sure. If you don't have the right build on Wugs them you can't do a backup or get the correct image.

Sent from the Superuser account on my newly rooted Sprint Galaxy Nexus

I am not 100% sure but superboot should root 4.2.2. If you still have to unlock your bootloader try the Galaxy Nexus Toolkit. I wasn't able to root using this method but did manage to get the bootloader unlocked and then used superboot. Just downloaded and double clicked and my Nexus was rooted.

Global Posts
    5,846 Global Posts
    ROM
    AOKP

To root ANY Nexus device:
    1. With bootloader unlocked, boot into either CWM or TWRP recovery (CWM image free at clockworkmod.com/rommanager.. TWRP image free at http://www.teamw.in/project/twrp2) from the bootloader using:
    fastboot boot nameofrecovery.img
    Replace nameofrecovery.img with the actual name of the file.
    2. Have Koush's superuser.zip on your device already, and then flash (install) it in recovery. Download the flashable zip from the link towards the end of the app description found here https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...3VwZXJ1c2VyIl0.
    3. That's it. You are rooted. Reboot and enjoy

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 2

some good directions have been given;;;; however i was curious if someone could point me to a three, for unlocking the boot loader on the VZW Galaxy nexus, that's runing version of android 4.2.2 ... I just got this devise the other day; it was free;; and want to experment with overclocking and see if it works for me!!!! Please let me know what you can help with!

Quote Originally Posted by blindyism View Post
    some good directions have been given;;;; however i was curious if someone could point me to a three, for unlocking the boot loader on the VZW Galaxy nexus, that's runing version of android 4.2.2 ... I just got this devise the other day; it was free;; and want to experment with overclocking and see if it works for me!!!! Please let me know what you can help with!
    See post #8.

Quote Originally Posted by gnr_2 View Post
    See post #8.

Thanks;;; btw, how are you liking the sprint nexus? I use to have it back in 2012; and told my fiance going back to the nexus on VZW was almost like returning to an x-girlfriend;;; she didn't like that... lol! thanks; got it rooted!

Quote Originally Posted by blindyism View Post
    Thanks;;; btw, how are you liking the sprint nexus? I use to have it back in 2012; and told my fiance going back to the nexus on VZW was almost like returning to an x-girlfriend;;; she didn't like that... lol! thanks; got it rooted!
    I think I like it a lot. It's my first Android so don't really know anything better.