Building Android in an Ubuntu Environment

samuraixzodus

Sep 13, 2010
Visit site
I am looking for a tutorial that explains the editing/building process of a ROM within an Ubuntu environment. I have successfully compiled 4.2.2 from source in 12.04. I would like to add to this ROM other features. I was curious if there is a native way about doing this other than using the ROM kitchen. I feel like I have googled for hours and still can't find that gem of a tutorial. Does anyone have suggestions?
Thanks in advance.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

Paul627g

AC Moderator All-Star
Nov 25, 2010
Visit site
No there isn't any downside to building in the Ubuntu environment other than if you don't make sure everything is correct it won't build without error.

Otherwise you grab your favorite editor like Gedit or Kate to edit/modify the source code. If it was me I'd go with Kate which has many more functions than the standard gedit.

Of course either of the above will not be of much use if your not familiar with working in XML code.

samuraixzodus

Sep 13, 2010
Visit site
No there isn't any downside to building in the Ubuntu environment other than if you don't make sure everything is correct it won't build without error.

Otherwise you grab your favorite editor like Gedit or Kate to edit/modify the source code. If it was me I'd go with Kate which has many more functions than the standard gedit.

Of course either of the above will not be of much use if your not familiar with working in XML code.

Hi Paul627g,

First off thanks for the great info. I created a folder called Android that is the repo for the master tree from Google. Would I make changes to the folder Android and then compile my zip? If I make an error this way would I have to re-download the source. I would rather not have to re-download if possible. Otherwise everything else makes sense.

Thanks again,

Samuraixzodus

Paul627g

AC Moderator All-Star
Nov 25, 2010
Visit site
I would make a separate folder outside your working directory to make your edits in. Then once your satisfied you have things ready you can copy the files or edits over to your working directory so you can compile and see how things go.

samuraixzodus

Sep 13, 2010
Visit site
I would make a separate folder outside your working directory to make your edits in. Then once your satisfied you have things ready you can copy the files or edits over to your working directory so you can compile and see how things go.

Hi Paul627g,

Thanks again for the information. I will test things out today.

Best,

Samuraixzodus