If the function is a slider, is that a deal breaker?

neowarcloud

Jul 2, 2011
Visit site
I can't say it isn't for me seeing as I'm still rocking my OGD. I think for me its going to be more about hardware. I care more about it being LTE than anything else currently...

Thoughts?

nemov

Mar 7, 2010
Visit site
I can't say it isn't for me seeing as I'm still rocking my OGD. I think for me its going to be more about hardware. I care more about it being LTE than anything else currently...

Thoughts?

I have the OGD and I don't want a keyboard. I expect that the VZW version won't have a keyboard. The Epic/Droid have that covered already.

BigDFSU

Apr 18, 2011
Visit site
I can say that I honestly don't know. I'm not a big slider fan myself. Virtual keyboards work well these days, I don't need physical keys. It would definitely play a factor and I'd probably give a hard look at the Bionic again. I don't think this is going to be much of a worry, sounds like Samsung has a slider already planned and don't see the need for two.

rickhamilton620

Jan 28, 2011
Visit site
No it certainly is not a dealbreaker, Let's look at VZW's current slider lineup:

Ally = Low end

Droid 2 Global, HTC Merge = midrange

Samsung "epic like slider" = upper midrange but with LTE...kinda like the LG revolution's position right now if you think about it...

Droid 3 = upper midrange/high end (sorry but 512 mb of RAM does not = high end in my eyes...)

Function (if it had a keyboard..or a keyboard variant came out along side it) = proper high end.

It ticks all the high end boxes unlike Droid 3.

I hate how onscreen keyboards cover up content. Thats why i prefer sliders.

Last edited:

EggoEspada

Jul 17, 2010
Visit site
Yup. Definitely a deal breaker. I want the GSII as is. Only thing I want them to do differently is add LTE. If they can't do that, then don't touch it Verizon.

Sent from my ThunderBolt

DashShiron

Jul 17, 2011
Visit site
If it's a slider, I will definitely chose the GSII over the Bionic, 4G or not. Don't have 4G where I live or go to school (and probably won't in the near future) and I'm not a huge fan of virtual keyboards. Going from the OG to the Incredible, it still bugs me that the landscape keyboard takes up my entire screen when a physical keyboard was completely unobtrusive.

nemov

Mar 7, 2010
Visit site
If it's a slider, I will definitely chose the GSII over the Bionic, 4G or not. Don't have 4G where I live or go to school (and probably won't in the near future) and I'm not a huge fan of virtual keyboards. Going from the OG to the Incredible, it still bugs me that the landscape keyboard takes up my entire screen when a physical keyboard was completely unobtrusive.

Do you still have a My Space page too?

I kid... I kid...

rickhamilton620

Jan 28, 2011
Visit site
Do you still have a My Space page too?

I kid... I kid...

:p To be honest though it's quite legitimate. It's annoying having a tiny portion of the screen viewable/scrollable when you have a keyboard open.

download-htc-ime-keyboard-for-droid-x_1.png

In landscape, you lose all ability to try and read the page/text behind the keyboard. Very frustrating when your typing say..a forum post or comment on a web page and you want to read the content before yours for context.

Hardware keyboards are also great for emulators. :D

largeselection

Nov 4, 2009
Visit site
It's not a deal breaker for me as long as it doesn't add too much extra girth. I'd rather a thinner phone without a keyboard, than a thick phone with one. If it's still slim, then I'll just keep it covered most of the time and only whip it out on occasion if I want to play with it.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
calvinxander08