Prime vs S2

BigDFSU

Apr 18, 2011
Visit site
I know with the rumor of the Nexus Prime device, a lot of us who were all about the S2 have suddenly had to rethink our decision. S2 is still an amazing phone, and it sounds like LTE(the make or break feature for many on the fence) is a good possibility as of late.

So I guess let?s compare the two and see where people are leaning to now. I bring this thread here because the Prime specs listed seem to share a lot of the attributes that have made the S2 so popular amongst us, then added onto them to make them better. The discussion has been touched on in random threads, but hasn?t been a focused on conversation yet. Probably because the Nexus is still an early rumor.

I guess I have a question as well that I would like answered by the more experienced users on here. I?m still using my Storm, as many probably know(I've mentioned it in probably every other post as I wait for a new phone), so I have yet to really have a chance to play around with any Android device for a long period of time. I understand the great part of having a vanilla experience on the Nexus line, but it also seems like it is really geared towards people who like to root their phones and get the latest upgrades immediately. What is the experience like for those who aren?t looking to root and just want to use a phone as is for a while? I know some say that rooting isn?t that bad, and usually you can find a step by step guide, at the same time that has been one of those things where I feel I might like to do it later on when the device is getting older, but not really thrilled with voiding my warranty early on. I?ve heard TW 4.0 is much improved and not that bad, plus it sounds like while people don?t always like the skins, they do add some nice functionality and the major gripe is just that sometimes they slow the system down(doesn't seem to be an issue with the S2) and they force users to have to wait longer for OS upgrades. I'm the type of person that likes to receive notifications and see what is new without having to go all the way into an application. I?m assuming there are apps that could probably add onto the vanilla experience for those that need it, I'm sure the ROMs do as well, but I was wanting to hear from people that know some of the finer differences and can maybe enlighten me on how it works. Also I guess something to consider is the S2 will probably feature a good development community as well since Samsung seems to understand the importance of that.

Initially I was going to wait for the Prime, and I still might. However it seems like most agree that while it is possible it might come out in October, likely this is going to get pushed back a few months and may not even get released until early 2012. I could probably wait until October, but as bad as my phone is getting, I don?t want to keep waiting on a device and finally find that another 6-8 months have gone by that I could have been using a great device in the form of the S2. In that situation I could get just get the S2 and if the Prime comes out later and is really great, then I could sell the S2 and buy through retail.

redraider133

Banned
Jul 26, 2011
Visit site
I think whether you want to root or not a nexus will be a good phone. The skins some manufacturers put on add a little bit of their own to the stock experience(messaging, camera, etc) I think if you don't care about having the latest and greatest the sgs2 will be for you. I mean either of these will be a HUGE step up from the storm. With any android a notification will pop up and you can check it from there without having to click on the app for it to open and check the notification.

moosc

Grand Master Moosc
Oct 20, 2009
Visit site
Simple the GS2 is old news already 6months old. Prime if u see it in Dec your lucky. The ICS is the next os for nexus and that's not ready yet.

redraider133

Banned
Jul 26, 2011
Visit site
Simple the GS2 is old news already 6months old. Prime if u see it in Dec your lucky. The ICS is the next os for nexus and that's not ready yet.

Technically every phone other than the nexus is old news when they launch. So pretty much you are putting nothing productive into this because you are saying you wont see the Prime for months and the gs2 isnt worth it.

eksplosions

Jul 22, 2011
Visit site
There will ALWAYS be something better right around the corner. I'm going from a Tour so like you whatever my next phone will be, it'll be worlds better. I think 20 months from now the SGS2 could still be considered a mid-range phone, so I don't think you can go wrong here.

redraider133

Banned
Jul 26, 2011
Visit site
There will ALWAYS be something better right around the corner. I'm going from a Tour so like you whatever my next phone will be, it'll be worlds better. I think 20 months from now the SGS2 could still be considered a mid-range phone, so I don't think you can go wrong here.

I agree I mean look just a year ago the inc was high end and now it is mid range. This is technology people it is progressing very fast. Look how well the droid is still performing for many and that is almost 2 years old. The sgs2 will be able to last throughout a contract and if not and you like to stay with the latest sell it and buy the new thing outright. With the large dev following they will help keep this phone relevant throughout the contract. Choose what works for you and if you are happy that is all that matters. Who cares if someone else doesn't like it they aren't in your shoes lol.

Alucardsyco

Jul 13, 2010
Visit site
The GS2 is "old" sure, but it's going to be new to America, and will be one of two phones to beat when it comes out, the other being the Bionic. I'm leaving out rumored devices on purpose. The next Nexus device IMO will not come out till next year. I have nothing to base this off of, other than I see something coming closer to I/O making more sense as they can do classes and what not on developer building based on that device.

nemov

Mar 7, 2010
Visit site
Is the Prime coming to Verizon? No Nexus phone has reached VZW so I'm not sure how this applies to VZW customers..

Stang68

Mar 15, 2010
Visit site
The GS2 is "old" sure, but it's going to be new to America, and will be one of two phones to beat when it comes out, the other being the Bionic. I'm leaving out rumored devices on purpose. The next Nexus device IMO will not come out till next year. I have nothing to base this off of, other than I see something coming closer to I/O making more sense as they can do classes and what not on developer building based on that device.
None of the other Nexus' came out near IO. It's becoming a thing to come out in the winter with a new Nexus. I'm sure we'll see it between October and December. Google has something planned to combat the upcoming iPhone release...maybe releasing the Nexus Prime on each carrier simultaneously.

chuckz28

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
I agree I mean look just a year ago the inc was high end and now it is mid range. This is technology people it is progressing very fast. Look how well the droid is still performing for many and that is almost 2 years old. The sgs2 will be able to last throughout a contract and if not and you like to stay with the latest sell it and buy the new thing outright. With the large dev following they will help keep this phone relevant throughout the contract. Choose what works for you and if you are happy that is all that matters. Who cares if someone else doesn't like it they aren't in your shoes lol.
Well put. Can't chase unicorns forever.

Reactions: redraider133

moosc

Grand Master Moosc
Oct 20, 2009
Visit site
They said that about original nexus had pictures and every thing and that never come to vzw
Part of the initial thread about the Prime, where things were apparently confirmed, has it coming to VZW.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

neowarcloud

Jul 2, 2011
Visit site
My upgrade is here and I'll probably buy the SGSII if its LTE, but I'll give the Bionic a look...I'd love a look at the Prime, but I think its going to be a while until that phone comes out...If ends up being that amazing, I'll sell my phone and buy that one.

pc747

Mar 17, 2011
Visit site
I must admit I got tired of waiting and spent the money on a tablet. Hopefully the nexus prime is real but I wont hold my breath. Considering ever since the nexus was started it was hyped as being the next super phone every year. Yes the nexus is the most stable of android devices and will get updates first but it is not the best specs and that is what sells phones...well that and bells and whistles.

Asterdroid

Fanboi
May 10, 2011
Visit site
I must admit I got tired of waiting and spent the money on a tablet. Hopefully the nexus prime is real but I wont hold my breath. Considering ever since the nexus was started it was hyped as being the next super phone every year. Yes the nexus is the most stable of android devices and will get updates first but it is not the best specs and that is what sells phones...well that and bells and whistles.

The Nexus 1 was far and away the best spec'd device on the market for months. I wouldn't be surprised if the Prime is the same way.

And marketing is what sells phones, not specs. Ever heard of a company called Apple?

The members of this forum that care about specs make up a very small percentage of smartphone buyers. Sure you and I care about specs, but the vast majority of people buy what's perceived as "cool".

BigDFSU

Apr 18, 2011
Visit site

Actually that is why I was never really thrilled with previous Nexus devices. Always felt that the specs weren't that great compared to some other high end phones. So far the Prime info that has been rumored would put it as some of the most impressive specs around.

shrugger

May 11, 2011
Visit site
Simple the GS2 is old news already 6months old.

I see you posting this type of thing repeatedly in different threads, but I don't really get it.

First- it's wrong. The GS2 first shipped at the end of May. If it hits here end of August, that's 3 months.

Second- who cares? Compare the specs of the GS2 with the Bionic, and they are at least comparable. Why does it matter that this phone released elsewhere 3 months ago, if the "new" phones releasing around the same time as the GS2 aren't any better, or are even inferior. Being 3 months old doesn't make it any less competitive.

I'm still deciding on which near-term Verizon release I'll be upgrading to. But, if anything, the fact that the phone has been tested by millions of users for a few months is a point in its favor when comparing it against the "new" competition.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bluegarland692