New Roadmap Leaked - Stratosphere 9/8

largeselection

Nov 4, 2009
Visit site
I could see it being a slider variant similar to the gs2... Release the gs2 without keyboard in august then a month later when the bionic is released, refresh the frenzy with a refreshed version with the keyboard.

jdoherty

Jun 22, 2011
Visit site
One possibility that hasn't been mentioned is: Stratosphere is the 4G LTE Slider we've seen pictures of, 9/29 phone is the Galaxy Z (the low end SGS II variant that would make sense to be 3g at a lower price point), leaving the Function (not mentioned here) as the SGS II with 4G LTE still possible for August?

That's what I'm hoping for...

f150fan

Jul 12, 2010
Visit site
P3Droid has just hinted on Twitter that the SGSII is not coming to Verizon or may not be coming soon, at least that is what I picked up from his tweets. I tweeted back to him regarding this but I have not gotten any response back. Not sure if that is what will happen but just reporting what I saw.

largeselection

Nov 4, 2009
Visit site
One possibility that hasn't been mentioned is: Stratosphere is the 4G LTE Slider we've seen pictures of, 9/29 phone is the Galaxy Z (the low end SGS II variant that would make sense to be 3g at a lower price point), leaving the Function (not mentioned here) as the SGS II with 4G LTE still possible for August?

That's what I'm hoping for...

That's what I meant in my post above...

chuckz28

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
P3Droid has just hinted on Twitter that the SGSII is not coming to Verizon or may not be coming soon, at least that is what I picked up from his tweets. I tweeted back to him regarding this but I have not gotten any response back. Not sure if that is what will happen but just reporting what I saw.
Yeah he also said "are you ready for a 4g slider?"

f150fan

Jul 12, 2010
Visit site
Yeah he also said "are you ready for a 4g slider?"

I guess there is always the hope that it will the internals of the SGS II. If it does and the keyboard and slider are top notch, I'd think about it. I haven't had a slider in over a year but if the keyboard was as good as the rest of the device it would still be a contender for me.

EggoEspada

Jul 17, 2010
Visit site
I answered above. Bionic and the Galaxy S2 are two entirely different phones. Bionic is targeted to a different demographic.

Sent from my Droid

Not really. Yes the Bionic offer accessories that most other smart phones do not offer, but that's the whats being used to sell this device. The real selling point given to the Bionic is its the world's first LTE and dual core device on Verizon. What good is that if a similar device like the Samsung Galaxy S II came out the same day. Regardless if the Bionic offers some more accessories, in the end the GSII would triumph sales with it's style, display and being the sequel to the popular GS. I'm willing to bet that this Stratosphere is the slider and the GSII is coming soon, but 3G only.

chuckz28

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
Honestly I really don't care if Verizon doesn't even get it. Ill get a bigger discount on sprint anyway. Plus they allow you delete bloatware.

eksplosions

Jul 22, 2011
Visit site
Honestly I really don't care if Verizon doesn't even get it. Ill get a bigger discount on sprint anyway. Plus they allow you delete bloatware.

With carriers, you don't really get deals or discounts. You pretty much get what you pay for, that being the service. You can't deny that Verizon is the most expensive carrier, but it's also clear they offer the best service.

redraider133

Banned
Jul 26, 2011
Visit site
I guess there is always the hope that it will the internals of the SGS II. If it does and the keyboard and slider are top notch, I'd think about it. I haven't had a slider in over a year but if the keyboard was as good as the rest of the device it would still be a contender for me.

I agree if it had good internals I have nothing against a slider but if it is just a rebranded epic then I will pass. If worst comes to worst I would wait another month for the vigor/revo 2

f150fan

Jul 12, 2010
Visit site
I would at least take it into consideration though. He has gotten a hold of some really nice leaked updates for many Verizon devices. To me that says that he definitely has someone on the inside that is feeding him the information. Who knows for sure though. We could possibly see something this month or maybe it just hadn't made the list yet. Time will tell.

Last edited:

Castor Troy

Banned
Apr 13, 2011
Visit site
Not really. Yes the Bionic offer accessories that most other smart phones do not offer, but that's the whats being used to sell this device. The real selling point given to the Bionic is its the world's first LTE and dual core device on Verizon. What good is that if a similar device like the Samsung Galaxy S II came out the same day. Regardless if the Bionic offers some more accessories, in the end the GSII would triumph sales with it's style, display and being the sequel to the popular GS. I'm willing to bet that this Stratosphere is the slider and the GSII is coming soon, but 3G only.

I disagree. They are two entirely different devices. WebTop and accessories are what sets it apart from the rest of the pack and those are its strongest selling points. Capabilities. Dual Core falls on deaf ears. Most people havent a clue what that means nor do they care.

Regardless if they come out at the same time what's going to kill sales I believe is the very thing that sets it apart. Accessories and tethering plan. People will simply pick up a different handset be it the charge,TB, stratosphere etc etc.

We tend to over analyze things because we are fanatics but I don't see any harm in releasing 2 LTE handsets at the same time. Both offer something different.

Sent from my Droid

DashShiron

Jul 17, 2011
Visit site
Well, this is nice and all, but where is the information about releases in August? Hard to believe that an entire month will go by with no releases at all. Really hoping that a GSII stuck in there, otherwise I'm gonna have to settle for the Droid 3.

MasterGiraffe

Jul 22, 2011
Visit site
I agree if it had good internals I have nothing against a slider but if it is just a rebranded epic then I will pass. If worst comes to worst I would wait another month for the vigor/revo 2

I am starting to lean more and more into this camp. Everyone seems to be thinking that it is either A) the SGSII variant for VZW or B} that 4G LTE slider with the SGII variant to come out in August or later in the year. I am starting to think that it is both. Even though I would be somewhat upset with their decision making, I think that the 4G slider IS the SGSII variant for VZW. It just seems a bit implausible for Sammy to have kept an entirely different 4G LTE phone a secret. We have had rumors floating around about the SGSII for months upon months and literally not a single rumor about the Stratosphere until less then a week ago. If it ends up that its not the VZW variant of the SGSII then I tip my hat to them for keeping a phone of this magnitude secret to literally everyone, but it just makes more sense that this is the SGSII variant.

Well, this is nice and all, but where is the information about releases in August? Hard to believe that an entire month will go by with no releases at all. Really hoping that a GSII stuck in there, otherwise I'm gonna have to settle for the Droid 3.

They said it would release in the U.S. in August. They never said it would release on every carrier in August. My guess is it will release on AT&T in August, but all other carriers in September.