Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Like Tree3Likes
  • 1 Post By nemov
  • 1 Post By MasterGiraffe
  • 1 Post By MasterGiraffe
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Global Posts
    996 Global Posts

Default One Week until Aug. 29 - Will Anything Leak?

If someone would have told me in April that by August 22 that the GS2 hadn't be released I don't think I would have believed it. There is no confirmation on the date of release or whether it's coming to VZW if at all. It's shocking how little real information exists.

My phone is eligible for upgrade, but there's no great choice. The Bionic may win this battle by default. Or I might change carriers. No matter what happens this has been the weirdest phone roll out I can ever remember.

The Aug. 29 event is next. Something has to leak... right?

Default Re: One Week until Aug. 29 - Will Anything Leak?

Maybe a leak will come. Sprint's just leaked a few days ago with a September 9 release date. You never know.

Quote Originally Posted by nemov View Post
    One Week until Aug. 29 - Will Anything Leak?

Sept 8th will be the day VZW gets the awesomeness.
    Remember, it will be $299.99 so no one is going to buy that or the Bionic at those prices anyway, so I don't see any problem releasing both on the same day.

It doesn't hurt VZW to have both these phones come out on the same day, a contract is a contract is a contract; they don't give if it's the Bionic or the GS2.
    It's not their fault Moto took a dump when designing the phone. And I don't think VZW is going to risk losing customers to another carrier by having a delayed release on a phone that has a lotof press and buzz (the GS2). The Bionic is popular but the word of the GS2 carries farther.
    Last edited by tntdroid; 08-22-2011 at 04:49 PM.
  4. Thread Author  Thread Author    #4  

Global Posts
    996 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Rominucka View Post
    Sept 8th will be the day VZW gets the awesomeness.
    Remember, it will be $299.99 so no one is going to buy that or the Bionic at those prices anyway, so I don't see any problem releasing both on the same day.

It doesn't hurt VZW to have both these phones come out on the same day, a contract is a contract is a contract; they don't give if it's the Bionic or the GS2.
    It's not their fault Moto took a dump when designing the phone. And I don't think VZW is going to risk losing customers to another carrier by having a delayed release on a phone that has a lotof press and buzz (the GS2). The Bionic is popular but the word of the GS2 carries farther.
    No one will buy it? Aside from the fact the price hasn't been announced for the GS2 I bet some people will cash in their NE2 discount. I know I will.
    Friend-O likes this.

It really is amazing that there's been no leaks for Verizon at all, unless you count that hideous slider in July.

Yeah there is this optimistic voice in my head that keeps telling me that its ok that we don't have FCC documents and leaks. It keeps saying that they are intentionally keeping this quiet and are just doing a really good job. Sadly though, that voice is getting quieter and quieter and I think will cease to exist by the end of this week.

As much as I hate to be a pessimist and I am always one to stick it out, I don't think I can even justify purchasing the SGSII at this point. I guess it is possible that it comes out on Sept. 8th and has LTE, but that is pretty much the only thing that would ever convince me to purchase it.

I have said it a million times in regards to other people, but the SGSII is not outdated technology. At the time of its release it will be one of two phones that are that powerful. That being said, I don't think it will be "new" technology for a very long period of time. Even though it is foolish to always look at the future and continue to wait for the next great device, everyone likes their new piece of technology to stay new for at least a small amount of time. There are these spikes in the tech trends and if you purchase right after a spike you will likely have a top of the line phone much longer then if you buy right before a spike. I fear that if I were to purchase the Bionic or the SGSII they would be "outdated" much more quickly than previous phones. With rumors of the Vigor and Prime coming out a month or a month and a half later I would feel downright stupid to spend $300 (which is already way too much IMHO) and my upgrade credit on either phone. It will really come down to the rumored status of the Prime during the second week of Sept. Hopefully I don't end up in the same situation with the Prime (waiting for months with no leaks or information) because my current phone is getting to the end of its life.

Sorry to be a buzz kill haha. I really hope that I am proven wrong and the SGSII ends up being well worth my money. If that is the case I will gladly buy it, but there still isn't anything concrete yet and we are getting very close to the release date.
    When we speak of tomorrow, nothing is ever certain.
    eksplosions likes this.

ROM

If someone would have told me in April that by August 22 that the GS2 hadn't be released I don't think I would have believed it. There is no confirmation on the date of release or whether it's coming to VZW if at all. It's shocking how little real information exists.

My phone is eligible for upgrade, but there's no great choice. The Bionic may win this battle by default. Or I might change carriers. No matter what happens this has been the weirdest phone roll out I can ever remember.

The Aug. 29 event is next. Something has to leak... right?
    I've been a VERY staunch GS2 supporter but this delay has been inexcusable, not to mention that we still have ZERO confirmed specs. We don't know what processor the US version will have, which carriers are for sure getting it, or when, and no confirmation of whether or not there will be LTE.

Honestly if this is a mid September release do yourself a favor and wait two more weeks to hear news about the upcoming Nexus Prime because if you buy the GS2 in Sep (possibly without LTE) and the Prime comes out in Oct, as rumor has it, (rumor also has it that VZW will be getting it maybe LTE??) then you will kick yourself because the Nexus Prime specs that have leaked are mind blowing (1.5GHZ dual core processor, SAMOLED HD screen and Ice Cream sandwich), and the sad thing is that while the Prime is only a rumor.....Technically so is the US GS2 at this point, way to go Samsung for dropping the ball, stepping on it then running it over with an RV.

I'm with MasterGiraffe; if this came out in July I would have gotten it day one. I'm waiting to see what the iPhone 5 offers; if it's bumped up to 4" at least I might be sold. I'm not committed to either platform, unlike many people here I think. I just don't understand how America, arguably the largest smartphone market in the world, is getting shafted like this.

No one will buy it? Aside from the fact the price hasn't been announced for the GS2 I bet some people will cash in their NE2 discount. I know I will.
    "No one" as in they're not going to fly off the shelves like one would hope.

The prices on these phones are ridiculous though considering that when the going gets rough they'll drop the LG Rev down to $199.99 (costs the stores $560 a piece to carry them) and phones like the Fascinate down to $49.99 ($480) and do buy one get one free for the D3 ($459) and DX2 ($439).
    They are rapists.

I would really like to see the numbers in terms of how much profit per year, on average, they make on device sales alone. They are the most successful carrier and their big bucks come strictly from the contracts.
    Verizon......LOWER YOUR PHONE PRICES!!!!!

It's not just about communication anymore. These are toys and people won't mind shelling out $199.99 for the latest toy, but $300? C'mon!!!
    Hell, $200 is still crazy. The most expensive phone should be $150. They would still make money hand over fist.
  10. Thread Author  Thread Author    #10  

Global Posts
    996 Global Posts

The prices on these phones are ridiculous though considering that when the going gets rough they'll drop the LG Rev down to $199.99 (costs the stores $560 a piece to carry them) and phones like the Fascinate down to $49.99 ($480) and do buy one get one free for the D3 ($459) and DX2 ($439).
    They are rapists.

I would really like to see the numbers in terms of how much profit per year, on average, they make on device sales alone. They are the most successful carrier and their big bucks come strictly from the contracts.

It's not just about communication anymore. These are toys and people won't mind shelling out $199.99 for the latest toy, but $300? C'mon!!!
    Hell, $200 is still crazy. The most expensive phone should be $150. They would still make money hand over fist.
    No one is forcing people to buy it at that price. I'm sure Verizon is smart enough to maximize profit by setting the correct price. Rapists?

Global Posts
    45 Global Posts

They are rapists.

Sigh... Verizon is by no means to sole culprit for high prices. As I understand it, these devices actually are costly to produce. That's on the manufactures' shoulders, not the carriers'. Yes, this cost is getting passed on to the consumers and it kinda sucks. I actually doubt the carriers are raking in much money on the devices themselves. (I'd be gladly proven wrong if you have valid statistics.) Regardless, it's a huge, huge industry and everyone needs their cut (otherwise there's no point in going to work in the morning). As the industry ages, device prices will fall...just look at laptop prices over the past 10 years.

I've said enough. This thread is hopelessly off topic.

Quote Originally Posted by zourtney View Post
    Sigh... Verizon is by no means to sole culprit for high prices. As I understand it, these devices actually are costly to produce. That's on the manufactures' shoulders, not the carriers'. Yes, this cost is getting passed on to the consumers and it kinda sucks. I actually doubt the carriers are raking in much money on the devices themselves. (I'd be gladly proven wrong if you have valid statistics.) Regardless, it's a huge, huge industry and everyone needs their cut (otherwise there's no point in going to work in the morning). As the industry ages, device prices will fall...just look at laptop prices over the past 10 years.

I've said enough. This thread is hopelessly off topic.
    I apologize for pushing it even further off topic, but I have to say that even though I agree with you that it is not solely VZW's fault I think it is in certain cases. The main thing that makes absolutely no sense to me is the pricing on the Bionic. The Bionic is rumored to come out with a $300 price tag with an upgrade and a $589.99 price tag without. What this tells me is that Moto is rumored to price the phone at $589.99 and that they determined that price based on maximizing profits. That phone is then passed onto VZW and priced at $299.99 with upgrade, a price that is determined by VZW and not strictly by Moto.

The iPhone on the other hand was released with a retail price that is more then $100 higher and when given to VZW they determined that the phone is worth $199 on contract. What that says to me is that VZW is intentionally increasing prices on 4G LTE phones even though the phones are less expensive to make. Correct me if I am wrong here, but why does the iPhone get discounted almost $500 when the Bionic only gets discounted around $300?

This seems to be a classic case of manufacturers decreasing the price of phones through increase in technology. Normally those savings are passed onto the consumer in the form of lower phone prices (as what happened in the laptop market), but instead it seems that VZW is taking savings that should be given to the consumer and putting it right into their bank account.

This could all be completely wrong though because the rumored prices for the Bionic could be way off.
    When we speak of tomorrow, nothing is ever certain.
    trentlythp likes this.