Page 1 of 5 1234 ... LastLast
Like Tree38Likes
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default Droid Prime in October for Verizon

Last edited by Phil Nickinson; 08-29-2011 at 09:50 AM. Reason: Please don't copy/paste entire posts.

Default Re: Droid Prime in October for Verizon

Beat me to it!

Damn...Since its going to be on Verizon I'm now going to wait to decide between Prime, Bionic or Vigor...Ugh...

Global Posts
    13 Global Posts

Verizon is right we should have had the GS2 a long time ago.

I have att with 4 lines and I was gonna wait for the prime but now who knows.

this sucks
    Joey G
    AT&T Captivate
    Ex AT&T Retail sales rep
    Android Central Editor in Chief

Global Posts
    3,972 Global Posts

Lulz. Pretty sure we broke that news a month ago.

http://forums.androidcentral.com/nex..._-october.html
    Thanked by:

Hmm... could it mean that Verizon has exclusivity to the DROID Prime because they own the DROID name, and then the rest of the carriers get a Nexus Prime at the same time?

ROM
    CM7

Quote Originally Posted by Xephik View Post
    Hmm... could it mean that Verizon has exclusivity to the DROID Prime because they own the DROID name, and then the rest of the carriers get a Nexus Prime at the same time?

My money is on a timed exclusive this it will roll out with the Nexus moniker on other networks after.
    MetalPhoenix79 likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Phil Nickinson View Post

For what it is worth, all you said was that it would be October. This news has VZW being the exclusive carrier. After the SGS2 debacle on VZW, that extra information is particularly soothing.
    Nirvana328 likes this.

Does "Droid" Prime instead of Nexus Prime conjure visions of VZW bloatware for anyone else?

Global Posts
    1,381 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock/CM

We need some hardware leaks damnit!!! Can't wait till October.

Quote Originally Posted by STC09 View Post
    Does "Droid" Prime instead of Nexus Prime conjure visions of VZW bloatware for anyone else?
    Yes. Yes, it does. The only thing that makes me feel marginally better is that Samsung seems to have seen the light when it comes to locked and encrypted bootloaders, since they gave those phones to Cyanogen and the squad.

To be honest, I'm mad at the possibility that the first ICS phone won't be a pure ICS experience. That'll be the first time that's happened, won't it?
    Nirvana328 likes this.

So I take it there will not be a Nexus Prime, or a Nexus 3? I would have really preferred Google release a Nexus 3 and launch it on all carriers instead of doing this exclusive game and fragmenting Android even more.
    Current Device: HTC Glacier (MT4G)
    Rooted, Overclocked to 1.8Ghz
    Running Gingerbread 2.3.1

Global Posts
    1,381 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock/CM

I hope google didn't bend over backwards just to launch the device on verizon. A skinned, bloated nexus really defeats the purpose. I have a feeling that this isnt the next nexus, just a similarly specced device. Samsung Celox maybe?

My guess is this comes late October or gets pushed back. Take a look at the phone landscape. Samsung doesn't have the GS2 coming to the largest carrier in the United States and the Bionic is coming out Sept. 8.

It's in Samsung's best interest to leak as much information about this phone as possible to keep people from buying the Bionic. October sounds like "best case scenario" to me.

Global Posts
    794 Global Posts
    ROM
    Buglessbeast/Stock

Quote Originally Posted by Sqube View Post
    Yes. Yes, it does. The only thing that makes me feel marginally better is that Samsung seems to have seen the light when it comes to locked and encrypted bootloaders, since they gave those phones to Cyanogen and the squad.

To be honest, I'm mad at the possibility that the first ICS phone won't be a pure ICS experience. That'll be the first time that's happened, won't it?
    It'll be handled the Motorola Xoom was handled probably. Itll be full stock experience and first with updates. Only trace of Verizon we might see on the device is branding (hope not though)
    So many phones, so little time.
    Thanked by:
    Grand Master Moosc

Global Posts
    5,515 Global Posts
    ROM
    AKOP M4 old geezer theme

Enjoy your Os while other phones gets updated you'll still be sucking ics. Hey maybe this time the GPS will work.

Quote Originally Posted by Phil Nickinson View Post

Bow to the mighty Phil....We are sorry for doubting you!

Quote Originally Posted by moosc View Post
    Enjoy your Os while other phones gets updated you'll still be sucking ics. Hey maybe this time the GPS will work.
    Wait, are you serious right now?

BWAHAHAHAHAHAHAAAAA

ROM
    Just Rooted, stock Rom

this just means that instead of getting the GSII they are opting for a ICS phone that resembles the NP I can't see Google not coming out with the N3 first, Just doesn't make sense. What i can see is the release of the GSII's in Sept. then the N3 in OCT Mid month and after that the Dprime. Even after the GS1 came out and is the same phone as the NexS it still hasn't received 2.3. Partly to Sammy's doing... I just can't see this as being the Nexus Prime and not being released as a Google phone.Droid is to Carrier specific and Google would want there phone to be a Neutral name and be known as there phone not Verizon's phone on other carriers... The only thing i can think is that under contract Google will allow them to call it Droid but still have it recognized as the Nexus phone. just MO nothing confirmed by anyone yet anyway..
    cggeek911 and Jordan jones like this.
    The bending unit

ROM
    Stock (so far)

Figure Big Red was going do something along these lines.
    All that is left now is a waiting game to see if all the hype is well worth the wait.
    Droid -{+_+}- Razr
    http://squintzy.mybrute.com
    Android Central Editor in Chief

Global Posts
    3,972 Global Posts

Great, so now we're looking at a ~6 week wait to find out how badly VZW's going to eff it up.

Global Posts
    677 Global Posts
    ROM
    Carbon Rom

I really hope this is stock ice cream sandwich.

sent from my Droid X, which also eats iPhones.

This will probably be an experience close to the OG Droid. I stated before that marketing was a big factor in why the Nexus line hasn't sold that well. I think this is the most efficient way to sell the phone to the general public. People know Droid phones and they know Galaxy phones (kinda). There is a very small amount of people that know what a Nexus device is and what it stands for. A lot of people like to stick to their brand. If someone had a good Motorola Droid phone and are looking to upgrade, they are either going to go for the best deal or stick with brand loyalty. Hell, most people here are the same way. This gives the Prime an actual chance to compete, although overall, it doesn't benefit the Nexus line as a whole. For those of you waiting, keep your fingers crossed.
    Thanked by 2:
    GTvert90 and Rominucka like this.
    Banned

ROM
    CM7

Quote Originally Posted by STC09 View Post
    It doesnt' matter - all you have to do is root your phone to remove it.

Rooting is easy don't worry.

Holy crap I prettty much predicted this the other day. Look: No Galaxy SII on verizon . I had everything right except the date. Even I don't think this phone is coming in October though. Just because this device is the first to launch with stock ICS though, I'm still worried because it won't technically be a Nexus, meaning the updates you see might not be the same as a true Nexus. Samsung has not been good with updating their phones, look at the Charge and Fascinate, they are both still on Froyo. Expect this one to be stuck on ICS.
Page 1 of 5 1234 ... LastLast