Nexus Prime will possibly not have an HD screen?

mjforte

Feb 10, 2011
Visit site
The GT-i9250 could be the model number for the GSM version of the phone. SCH-i515 is the model number for the Verizon version I think.

nemov

Mar 7, 2010
Visit site
The GT-i9250 could be the model number for the GSM version of the phone. SCH-i515 is the model number for the Verizon version I think.

There are two versions of the phone now? I think that's news as well.

Last edited:

EggoEspada

Jul 17, 2010
Visit site
If it weren't to have an HD, I'd pass on it in favor of the Vigor. The phones rumored to be 4.6" and if it were to have such a low res, the experience would be lackluster.

irl Panda

Jul 16, 2011
Visit site
If it weren't to have an HD, I'd pass on it in favor of the Vigor. The phones rumored to be 4.6" and if it were to have such a low res, the experience would be lackluster.

The Vigor will be a bigger disappointment than the Prime with low-res. You'd be better off with the Droid HD.

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk

EggoEspada

Jul 17, 2010
Visit site
The Vigor will be a bigger disappointment than the Prime with low-res. You'd be better off with the Droid HD.

Curious to hear why you say that. It seems pretty solid to me. Granted you have bloated Sense on it as opposed to Stock Android with the latest version, but not much past that based on what we know.

irl Panda

Jul 16, 2011
Visit site
Curious to hear why you say that. It seems pretty solid to me. Granted you have bloated Sense on it as opposed to Stock Android with the latest version, but not much past that based on what we know.

A 1.5GHz processor based on old architecture means more power consumption for the same or worse performance you would get with even a 1GHz A9 based processor. Here HTC is clearly using numbers as a marketing tool. If I remember correctly, a 720p screen has around 70% more pixels. So we will definitely take some type of performance hit as well as additional battery drain. Couple this with the bad battery life HTC and LTE phones already have and you get a phone that sounds good in theory but will probably fail to deliver.

EggoEspada

Jul 17, 2010
Visit site
A 1.5GHz processor based on old architecture means more power consumption for the same or worse performance you would get with even a 1GHz A9 based processor. Here HTC is clearly using numbers as a marketing tool. If I remember correctly, a 720p screen has around 70% more pixels. So we will definitely take some type of performance hit as well as additional battery drain. Couple this with the bad battery life HTC and LTE phones already have and you get a phone that sounds good in theory but will probably fail to deliver.

Okay, I defiantly see what you're saying. Though it is possible that this device would have a Krait processor though, correct? It would make a little more sense if HTC were to wait for Qualcomm's NEX gen processor with 70%(?) more power efficient.

irl Panda

Jul 16, 2011
Visit site
Okay, I defiantly see what you're saying. Though it is possible that this device would have a Krait processor though, correct? It would make a little more sense if HTC were to wait for Qualcomm's NEX gen processor with 70%(?) more power efficient.

Those are supposed to come available for use in a phone in Q4 2011, but that doesn't mean we will actually see it in a phone then. I'm not sure anyone can answer that question at the moment, though. No one here anyway.

androidjunkie30

Aug 18, 2010
Visit site

ottscay

Jul 16, 2010
Visit site
I don't care about the processor as long as there is no lag and ok battery life.

Then you care about the processor. Because battery life is directly a function of A) How much juice the battery can store (which is pretty much a constant in a given sized phone right now) and B) How efficient the CPU is at using the available power.

A faster CPU based on the same chipset will burn up the battery quicker; a faster CPU based on a smaller die process may use substantially less power even though it's faster. So you definitely should care.

As for it being smooth - unfortunately right now it's not really an issue of how fast the processor or the GPU is, it's the fact that less of the Android UI has gotten the full benefit of GPU hardware acceleration (this becomes even more true with many UI skins that OEMs put over it) then on the iPhone. This could be partially overcome with enough ram in a phone and a good enough garbage collector, but even then you'd eventually hit lag when you multi-tasked enough.

So for battery life it's the underlying processor design and architecture that matters, and for smoothness it's more a function of proper OS programming to take advantage of the GPU better.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
pierre5463