Any chance the prime will have Kal-el?

EggoEspada

Jul 17, 2010
Visit site
Slim to none. As TheDave pointed out, it wont be in commercial smartphone till the beginning of 2012. I rather companies continue to further the tech they have now, rather than bring in something new.

sndplace

Jun 25, 2010
Visit site
I agree ... Dual core has just really started taking off into mainstream and they are still phones coming out with single cores. keep the Quad core for tablets for now and build on the great power that dual core provides. this stuff is growing so fast that phones are considered obsolete b4 they come out GSII4GT and its beast but some post talk about it should came out months ago and should have came with 1.5ghz.
Its just IMO. i hope it comes in dual-core but will buy if its quad-core :O)

huskerkate

Oct 14, 2010
Visit site
No way, no how... Nvidia's CEO said this week that quads are still targeted for a tablet this year, but want be in phones until next year.

elvisgp

Jul 12, 2011
Visit site
There really is no need for a quad core phone. Dual core phones have not even be used to their full potential yet. I'm perfectly happy with my single core Droid x, which is still very snappy and smooth.
sent from my Droid X, which also eats iPhones.

huskerkate

Oct 14, 2010
Visit site
Oh man - ya know, a Nexus Tab hadn't even occurred to me. That is an outstanding idea!!! Considering it takes Google about a year to get a Nexus device out, I wonder if they've already been working on it, or if one hasn't been conceived yet....

kenwen

Jan 18, 2010
Visit site
It's one of the main reasons why I haven't bought a Xoom actually.

Wasn't impressed when the X first came out but recently the price has been slashed in the UK so am tempted.

However ICS is round the corner with the intent that phone and table OS get merged so do I wait for a potential Nexus tab or get a Xoom? Decisions, decisions.

Having said that, the Xoom is about six, seven months old so a new iteration could be less than half a year away :)

irl Panda

Jul 16, 2011
Visit site
And if so, how would Kal-el's performence compare to a 1.5ghz dual core chip, considering Kal-el is supposed to be 1ghz.

There is absolutely no need for a quad-core processor in a phone unless some crazy games come out. Think about computers. The only programs that truly utilize 4(+) cores are (some) games, and programs people use for video editing, etc. It's tough to really say if a 1GHz quad-core would out perform a 1.5GHz dual-core. Mainly because clock speed doesn't mean squat. Some of Intel's best chips are clocked at 2.9GHz and vastly out perform AMD's 6-core processors that come stock at 3.4GHz.

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news, but no chance in hell.

Kal-el wont be until 2012.

The OMAP4460 (rumored) will not disappoint, though.

If the larger screen resolution rumors are true, you'll get roughly the same performance you currently get in the Bionic with the 4430. What could offset this (and make current SoCs run faster as well) would be if ICS was better optimized and included hardware acceleration.