unlocked at launch?

rrhartjr

Jul 22, 2011
Visit site
That's disappointing to hear. Looking for a 720p unlocked phone. Any suggestions?

I think what you mean is a world phone.. most international networks are GSM..

The HTC Vigor will have a MDM9600 in it, which supports most GSM frequencies. Whether Verizon chooses to enable it for international roaming remains to be seen..

KittenMittens

Jul 22, 2011
Visit site
I think what you mean is a world phone.. most international networks are GSM..

The HTC Vigor will have a MDM9600 in it, which supports most GSM frequencies. Whether Verizon chooses to enable it for international roaming remains to be seen..

Interesting the HTC Thunderbolt has an MDM9600 as well, but isn't advertised as being a world phone. The other weird thing is while running CM7 on my Thunderbolt, under network settings I can change the "Network Mode" which is mostly just for switching between 3G (CDMA / EvDo) and 4G (CDMA + LTE / EvDo) but other options include GSM / WCDMA, GSM / WCDMA / LTE, Global, Global + LTE, etc. but I don't know if they would actually work, especially because there's no SIM slot for GSM networks, only for Verizon's LTE.

qnet

Jan 21, 2011
Visit site
LTE is a GSM technology from my understanding but, only for data I think. It would be cool it were a world phone. All previous Nexus phones I've bought have been unlocked but, I paid full retail and, these were GSM networks (t-mobile).

That's a good question, why couldn't the sim slot in a Verizon phone work overseas? I don't know enough about the technology to know for sure.

hardee17

Sep 30, 2011
Visit site
Sounding more and more like this will be a verizon exclusive.....ugh.

Come on google we need the prime to be unlocked at launch for people who have to travel frequently!

ajonesma

Oct 1, 2010
Visit site
I highly doubt that they will make Nexus phone Verizon exclusive.

I also highly doubt that! the last two nexus's havent been exclusive to just one carrier, so why would they start with the nexus prime? If anything they will include vzw this time.

nemov

Mar 7, 2010
Visit site
I also highly doubt that! the last two nexus's havent been exclusive to just one carrier, so why would they start with the nexus prime? If anything they will include vzw this time.

It's exclusive in the sense that it's released on Verizon first. Samsung will not be in a hurry to launch it on other carriers with the GS2 fresh on the shelves.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MarcosVo