Mock-up explaining the 4.6" screen of the Prime

Hearthatvoiceagain

Jun 5, 2010
Visit site
E-man, I'd assume the bar of "buttons" will stay in the same place yet the icons will rotate 90? as to visualize them better. Only way this phone makes sense in my opinion. What say you?

That would certainly make more sense on a phone then having them along the bottom in landscape. Lets hope Google think so too.Maybe they will have the location as optional on larger screens so that you could have them on the side even if you have a tablet.

E_man

Jul 16, 2010
Visit site
E-man, I'd assume the bar of "buttons" will stay in the same place yet the icons will rotate 90? as to visualize them better. Only way this phone makes sense in my opinion. What say you?

That's my hope, though I honestly wouldn't be surprised if it didn't work that way. Who knows we'll see

Doesn't the Incredible S already do this with capacitive buttons?

Sent from my Nexus S 4G using Tapatalk

Yes, but an SAMOLED screen can most likely make it look nicer.

sw33tooth

Nov 16, 2011
Visit site
4.6 screen size

Is not really 4.6, its 4.3(.3) is for the buttons. So if you are one of "those guys" who uses it as a plus over the rezound or razr, please know the facts.

davelm

Mar 10, 2011
Visit site
Re: 4.6 screen size

But if you watch a video on a rezound/razr it's still 4.3. On the Nexus its 4.6, as the menu buttons go away.

(Coming from someone who "rented" a rezound)

Reactions: Scottish

humpagardengnome

Oct 24, 2011
Visit site
Is that accurate, comparing it to an SGII? There was a mock up that put the 4.65" screen width @ 2.24 and had a 4.3" screens width @ 2.21. Is that out the window. It's the same screen width as an SGII @ 4.3"? I used the size comparison tool @ phonearena and it looked a bit wider than AT&Ts SGII, it appeared spot on w/ the 4.5" SGII variant models. Any ideas?

goliath602

Jul 20, 2010
Visit site
Re: 4.6 screen size

Is not really 4.6, its 4.3(.3) is for the buttons. So if you are one of "those guys" who uses it as a plus over the rezound or razr, please know the facts.

Actually, when you are watching a video on say YouTube for example. The buttons will go away, so you win have the full 4.65 inch screen to watch videos on. To bring them back you just have to tap on the screen. One thing I am worried about is accidentally hitting home or backup when you are playing a game ex. Fruit Ninja that requires rapid swiping in random locations. Will you just have to be careful to not swipe too much?

-Typed using Motorola Xoom.

ReiMei

Aug 16, 2011
Visit site
I thought I heard a reviewer say in full screen videos the buttons disappear until you tap the screen. I only care if they disappear while on videos. My current Galaxy S only has a 4 inch screen.

trivor

Jan 15, 2011
Visit site
I think many of you get this already, but I still see a lot of people expressing concern over the 4.6" screen size as being "way too big", so I did a quick Photoshop mock-up to try and explain it:

Click to view quoted image

Basically, the screen will indeed be 4.6", but the phone will be the same size as a 4.3" phone, because the bottom of the screen where the software buttons go will simply eat up the space previously occupied by physical or touch buttons.

So everyone should be excited about the 4.6" screen, it's exactly what we want, a 4.3" phone with even more screen space when held in landscape mode because of the introduction of software buttons.

(The stand-in phone is just an AT&T Gallaxy SII).

Actually, that's not how it actually ended up being when it came out - the Gnex is a big phone 5.33" tall vs 5.08 on the Rezound and 5.15 on the Razr. It is also 2.67" wide vs 2.58 Rezound and 2.71 Razr.

While it is thin and light it is not small and having the buttons part of the 4.65" screen it is still a big phone.

Nakrohtap

Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2011
Visit site
I would rather have a thinner phone (Nexus) over the .16" taller the Nexus is over the Rezound. Whatever size it ends up being in my hand , I am sure I will get used to it real quick.

Kevin Gossett

Retired Moderator
Sep 9, 2010
Visit site
I'll throw this up here again... This is a 1:1 overlay of the Nexus and the Charge. They are the same width, but the Nexus is just slightly taller

nexusvscharge.png

mechapathy

Apr 19, 2010
Visit site
I don't see the advantage of it in landscape. In landscape, you have a shortage when it comes to vertical space. A 4.6 16:9 display actually has slitly smaller dimensions across the short side than an 800x480 4.3" phone. Now if the buttons are taking up .3 inches in the short direction in landscape (ie the bottom) you are left with less than 2" of space not including the notification tray, and any app title bars etc. I hope that, even if they are soft buttons, google locks them to the same basic position they are in now with the capacitive buttons.

They are locked in the same place. You can see this in many videos. You can also see that the buttons do rotate with the orientation of the phone so that down is down in portrait or landscape.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kerokekerol