[Unconfirmed] Oct. 27

JoJoCal19

Apr 9, 2011
Visit site
Everyone should be entitled to their opinion, but honestly I think the performance will be just fine with an OMAP processor, you shouldn't pay too much attention to benchmarks. I understand if you want the latest and greatest, but name something this phone won't be able to do with the OMAP, that the Exynos can do?

I mean if I handed you the Prime with an OMAP processor and told you it was Exynos, without running benchmarks do you think you would be able to tell the difference? Playing HD videos, games, etc.?

I'm just going off of reviews/tests of the E4GT and other phones with the Exynos and how amazingly fast the phone is. The OMAP might be fine, but just like with most other things being manufactured, if the two parts are all made in house by the same manufacturer, things just work better than slapping in a part from another manufacturer.

Like I said, I will wait to either test myself or read the reviews/tests when it's released.

cdf3

Apr 24, 2010
Visit site
I had the Bionic, which has the OMAP processor, and it was plenty fast. I played around with the SGSII Epic and it was fast as well. I couldn't tell a difference in speed. They were both the same in regards to real use. The Epic had a better camera, but that has nothing to do with processor.
Not going off benchmark scores, but actual user experience, they were practically equal in terms of speed.

Sent from my ADR6300 using Tapatalk

rmreagle

Apr 26, 2011
Visit site
Also, keep in mind they are using the newer OMAP 4460, not the 4430 that is out in the bionic. They wanted to put in a dual core chip that runs at 1.5. Samsung only just revealed the next gen exynos chip clocked at 1.5, so it won't be available in any devices that are coming out soon. That chip probably won't see the market til Q1 of next year. So the decision was made because the next gen OMAP was ready first, it's google's chip of choice for ICS, it behaves well with LTE, and if samsung built the device with that chip in mind i'm sure there won't be any compatibility issues between the TI chip and the other Sammy hardware.

Also if you live and die by benchmarks you are fooling yourself. Benchmarks are not a 100% tell-all whether or not a phone is the top dog or not. If your Quadrant is 100 points higher than mine, but my device handles the user experience better, which would you rather have?

rmreagle

Apr 26, 2011
Visit site
I thought that the exynos did not have LTE integration, thus it was not capable of being used for Big Red's LTE network.

This generation doesn't. The chip they just unveiled last week would have to i imagine if they want to keep up with where technology is headed.

Phil Nickinson

Android Central Editor Emeritus
Apr 21, 2009
Visit site
It's a third-party retailer list and is VERY subject to change. That's why we're not splashing it all over the blog.

sstephen17

Feb 9, 2011
Visit site
That would be a perfect date for me. My Verizon upgrade is October 20th and I need to replace my OG Droid. Was going to go with the Bionic but if this Samsung device is better and comes out before the end of the year, I'm waiting for it.

anon(392846)

Jul 5, 2011
Visit site
I sincerely hope this comes out the 27th. I've had the OG Droid since day one of release, so I've been eligible for an upgrade since July. I've been patient, but it's quite tough. :)

astraelraen

Sep 22, 2010
Visit site
If this is not a Nexus device then I hate to say but I may have to pass. It looks like an awesome device too.

Samsung + Verizon + updates = failure.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
armeniomanuel