Thanked by 3:

Default Re: Contact charging returns!

Very...interesting to say the least.....lol

Hoping for some sweet docks.

ROM
    Stock 4.0.1 Rooted

I am wondering if it will have a set of points on the bottom edge also so that you can charge in either orientation.

i do not know if thats contact charging.

tus if its gona be a world phone.it has to be micro USB,due to the EURO standard that has been implemented in europe(all mobile phone's are requered to suport micro USB for charging) preventhing the bloat on all difrent charger's.

but if its just for a docking station.than itl be all fine with me.

Global Posts
    100 Global Posts

YES.

mmmmmmmmm. I was hoping those were contacts for charging in the picture. Now that you have confirmed my suspicions ... I.AM.PUMPED. ... I LOVED contact charging on my crackberry back in the day
    It's been real...

What are the benefits of contact charging over USB charging?

*customized tapatalk signature*

Quote Originally Posted by oxymoron View Post
    What are the benefits of contact charging over USB charging?

Basically, it means you can put the phone into a dock for charging instead of having to plug it in. The nexus one has this and it is great--especially in the car dock.
    1995-Newton Message Pad 2000 | 1998-Palm V | 1999-Palm V8 (upgrade) | 2000-Palm m505 | 2001-Palm m515 | 2003-Kyocera 7135 | 2004-Treo 600 (woc) | 2006-Treo 700p (wc) | 2007-Treo 680 (wc) | 2008-Another Treo 680 (wc) (unlocked) | 2010-Google Nexus One | 2011-NookColor (hacked) | 2012-Galaxy Nexus | 2012-Samsung Galaxy Tab 8.9 wifi
    It's been real...

But the dock has to be plugged in... I don't see how it is any different from phones that currently use docks, other than the form factor. I thought maybe they were more efficient or something... like how even though a mini USB connection is not as convenient as inductive charging, it is much faster and more efficient.

I still don't understand the benefit. It does look cooler though, haha :-)

ROM
    CNA 3.0/leanKernel 4.2.0

Excuse the newbie question ... does contact charging mean that there's no USB charging? I'd hate to have to buy docks to charge the device. I'd like to be able to charge in my car, at my desk at work, etc., without carrying a dock around or buying a dock for every location.
    Thanked by:

My old OG Droid's dock did this with a USB plug. The plug in the dock didn't have the barbs that keep a USB plug connected so it would slip in and out of the Droid's socket with no resistance. And the dock was manufactured accurately enough that you could just drop the phone in the dock and everything lined up and connected.

Sent from my ADR6400L using Tapatalk
    Banned

As I posted in the other thread:

At first I thought it was obvious that the gold pins were for a dock, similar to the HTC Rhyme, but then I noticed that the power button is on the same side as those pins, so unless the docks will have the phone vertical, they must be for something else, otherwise the power button would be blocked.

But perhaps the docks will have their own power buttons or something, or maybe they will be some strange design that doesn't block the power button. One never knows.

ROM
    Stock 4.0.1 Rooted

Quote Originally Posted by oxymoron View Post
    I still don't understand the benefit. It does look cooler though, haha :-)
    So you DO understand the benefit.

ROM
    Stock 4.0.1 Rooted

Quote Originally Posted by Poopai View Post
    As I posted in the other thread:

At first I thought it was obvious that the gold pins were for a dock, similar to the HTC Rhyme, but then I noticed that the power button is on the same side as those pins, so unless the docks will have the phone vertical, they must be for something else, otherwise the power button would be blocked.

But perhaps the docks will have their own power buttons or something, or maybe they will be some strange design that doesn't block the power button. One never knows.
    That power button looks pretty flush to me. I suspect that having dock pins on the side will allow you to charge while watching a film or (when it's on your bedside table) using it as your alarm clock. Also, there may be pins on the bottom edge too, we just don't know yet.
    It's been real...

Quote Originally Posted by Hearthatvoiceagain View Post
    So you DO understand the benefit.
    Touch!

Global Posts
    1,197 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock

This is all very exciting and I can't wait to get my hands on this phone!

The picture has an Tablet and a Phone in it. The phone looks like it will be 4.6"!! Any one have a man bag for this phone?

Global Posts
    28 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Preach2k View Post
    The picture has an Tablet and a Phone in it. The phone looks like it will be 4.6"!! Any one have a man bag for this phone?
    Great eye!! Thanks for pointing that out.
    Journeyman

ROM
    A

Maybe it will come with a dock like the HTC rhyme. That would just be awesome.
    Follow me on Twitter: @SpaceHippieSays

ROM
    Stock

Here's hoping that it allows for a car dock that will allow simple insertion and audio/power via a single cable. The dock for the SGS2 leaves much to be desired.

Quote Originally Posted by Preach2k View Post
    Oh this is getting good!

A curved tablet would be pretty weird. I don't think that's a tablet in the picture.

If it has contact charging points, would that preclude the use of a microUSB cable to charge as an alternative?

I regularly use my DX late night in bed, while it is charging, or at least not drawing down the last juice of the day from the phone.

No one wants to hear about you laying in bed with your DX in your hand
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast