What Samsung was really competing against...

estebancam

May 7, 2010
Visit site
So, here are my thoughts:

Apple is a very concealed company in that their products are not even leaked to the public. For this reason, the public had a very high expectation for iPhone 5 for mainly two reasons:

1: Android devices have been improving at a rapid rate.
2: It took them 16 months to announce.

Because of this, I believe Samsung got a bit defensive. They have been sued up the rear end by Apple, and they wanted to do something that differentiated them. In addition, I think that Samsung was kind of afraid... The public was making it seem as if iPhone 5 was going to be released, and that it would be thinner than iPhone 4, faster, lighter, etc. So my thought is this:

Samsung worked on the Nexus Prime to compete with the iPhone 5 the public created.

This is good for us by every means. They expected a super device from Apple, and instead, were confronted with only an "S" upgrade. While the iPhone 4S is a powerful device, its design was underwhelming and the hardware is largely the same as we have seen. The same chip that is used in iPad 2, as well as the same display as the iPhone 4. Not to mention that it didn't help them that iOS 5 was announced separately from iPhone 4S. If they were announced together, I think they would have had a larger impact.

So I think Samsung employees are celebrating that their device is going to be a superior feat of engineering. I may be wrong about this.... However, I don't think I am because it takes quite a bit of confidence to put out a teaser to a device the day after the world's most popular smartphone is announced. I think Samsung is very confident in what they designed, and I can't wait to see it!

Last edited:
Reactions: pauldroidr2d2

Hearthatvoiceagain

Jun 5, 2010
Visit site
Interesting idea. It would be great if this were the case and would also be the first time that the endless rumors about iDevices worked in favor of anyone but the tech blogs.

estebancam

May 7, 2010
Visit site
It's only logical. I mean, look at what samsung did with the Galaxy Tab. They released a design, and were then beaten by Apple. They then redesigned it in a matter of weeks into the best Android tablet there is. All because they wanted to compete with Apple.

I think this Nexus is going to be the best device ever released. Just because I think that Samsung wanted NO DOUBT at att that their device beat the (never released) iPhone 5 that the public created.

infernalman7

Oct 5, 2011
Visit site
I don't really want to look of it that way. I think a more powerful device from another competitor is good to everyone. From a user point of view here, I think that it's bad for even Android users that Apple did not release a truly breakthrough device.

Because Android manufacturers can now get away with moderate upgrades for at least a year.

It's true, Samsung may be celebrating. But for me as a user I think it's bad. Perhaps it's because I'm not loyal to any phone brands. I just want better devices!

Hearthatvoiceagain

Jun 5, 2010
Visit site
I don't really want to look of it that way. I think a more powerful device from another competitor is good to everyone. From a user point of view here, I think that it's bad for even Android users that Apple did not release a truly breakthrough device.

Because Android manufacturers can now get away with moderate upgrades for at least a year.

It's true, Samsung may be celebrating. But for me as a user I think it's bad. Perhaps it's because I'm not loyal to any phone brands. I just want better devices!

But if Samsung made the Prime to compete with the iPhone 5 that never happened, then every android OEM now has to keep up with Samsung.

Samsmalls

Dec 29, 2010
Visit site
Yep & sgs2 is the King of all smart phones... All those other phones now know better than to throw rocks at the thrown! Samsung is boss now so apple better watch the throne! And learn to listen to the peoples demands...

gothir

Jun 29, 2010
Visit site

Like the others have said, the other OEMs will be competing to one up the gs2s/prime anyway so better devices will always be coming...then samsung will try to one up those and so the cycle continues. I hope apple starts losing more market share while android keeps grabbing more share because that will bring over more of the app developers. I hate how a lot of developers treat android as their 2nd priority by releasing apps/updates to iPhones first and then worrying about porting it over to android later. I would love if the tables turned and they produced apps for android first and then worried about iPhones.

infernalman7

Oct 5, 2011
Visit site
I don't get it. If Samsung is the KING here, then why would they want to bother upgrading so much? If they were the King, they wouldn't feel threatened by anyone else, am I correct?

Anyway, I couldn't agree more with the developers decision to stick with iOS so much. It's just so risky (since they're placing all the bets on only one "manufacturer" alone unlike Androids with many manufacturers). But I can see why they give Android less priority. Business wise, it makes sense at least for now. I really think that the tables will be turned this year.

infernalman7

Oct 5, 2011
Visit site
Simply put ... Competition is good.

That's right!

But we'll see how the sales are like. If iPhone 4S sales are still record-breaking, Samsung will then have to improve. It looks like Apple doesn't even think that they're in the same market as others.

(Yep, they live in their own 'ecosystem', haha)

flashpiti

Feb 23, 2011
Visit site
Nice post, and I agree with many of your points. The only thing I would mention is that corporate espionage is a very real thing and it is unlikely that Samsung doesn't know what Apple will release and vice versa well in advance of it's public reveal. I really hope that the Prime is a flagship device for both Samsung and Android and shows some cutting edge technology not just in specs, but in how users interact with the device. Up until now phones specs keep getting better but aside from being quicker, the user experience hasn't changed that much over the last 2 years. Voice recognition will help change that somewhat, but I really want to see some cutting edge stuff that none of us have even thought of.

estebancam

May 7, 2010
Visit site
Nice post, and I agree with many of your points. The only thing I would mention is that corporate espionage is a very real thing and it is unlikely that Samsung doesn't know what Apple will release and vice versa well in advance of it's public reveal. I really hope that the Prime is a flagship device for both Samsung and Android and shows some cutting edge technology not just in specs, but in how users interact with the device. Up until now phones specs keep getting better but aside from being quicker, the user experience hasn't changed that much over the last 2 years. Voice recognition will help change that somewhat, but I really want to see some cutting edge stuff that none of us have even thought of.

While I know that corporate espionage exists, I do not think it occured in this scenario. In my opinion, the reason it didn't happen is probably because Apple wasn't worried about what Samsung was doing specifically, and I don't think Samsung was able to get any concrete information on the new iPhone.

I seriously think that they were competing against the iPhone 5 the public created. But we will see on Tuesday.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
itamargs