Should the iPhone 4S be a warning to us?

Hearthatvoiceagain

Jun 5, 2010
Visit site
Just a thought you guys. I have been seeing the lamentations of the iPhone fans on tech blogs when it was revealed that after all the rumors, "leaks" and case designs they have had for the last 16 months all they were getting was a spec bumped copy of last years phone and it made me wonder. Are we in danger of expecting too much from the prime. After all, it can't be too much different from other phones released recently specs wise and we have no firm idea what ICS will be like on phones.

I certainly don't want to ruin anyone's buzz or excitement and I am super stoked to see what my next phone can do I'm just wondering if we should tone down or expectations a bit.

sushiglobster

Jan 29, 2010
Visit site
I say, expected the unexpected....or expect nothing and you'll always be surprised.

Regardless...I do feel that both Google and Samsung plan to deliver quite the product. I have no doubt that they will bring something to the market that is nothing but above satisfactory.

estebancam

May 7, 2010
Visit site
I thought the same thing as well, but the reason I think that we are not expecting too much is because I sense a lot of confidence from Samsung. I have said before that I don't think Samsung would have released a teaser the day after the world's most popular smartphone was announced unless they were confident that it was really a great device.

Maybe even revolutionary.

Last edited:

sushiglobster

Jan 29, 2010
Visit site
yup, totally agree. And with the success of the Galaxy S2, they should indeed have that confidence. They know what they are doing. Remember, the Prime is to be considered a next-gen device. Nothing should be exactly like it on the market today. It will be the first of its kind.

robrecht

Pretty good member
Feb 13, 2011
Visit site
I don't think the Prime is a next generation device, but still a marked improvement over what is already the dominant platform and best hardware (in terms of specs if not build quality) on the market. ICS is primarily about improving available software for Android tablets; don't expect it to revolutionize smartphones. The bigger screen with better resolution is a big step forward as far as I'm concerned, but it's evolutionary, not revolutionary. An evolution that was once led by Apple's iPhone, which is still a great smartphone for those who want a simple, intuitive user interface and don't care about 4G speeds.

Thanks, Robrecht

Johnly

Retired Moderator
Oct 6, 2010
Visit site
I don't think the Prime is a next generation device, but still a marked improvement over what is already the dominant platform and best hardware (in terms of specs if not build quality) on the market. ICS is primarily about improving available software for Android tablets; don't expect it to revolutionize smartphones. The bigger screen with better resolution is a big step forward as far as I'm concerned, but it's evolutionary, not revolutionary. An evolution that was once led by Apple's iPhone, which is still a great smartphone for those who want a simple, intuitive user interface and don't care about 4G speeds.

Thanks, Robrecht

Generation is not a word that is kind to android. Honeycomb has been out for a long time and it is all over ICS:( Down to the 1984 style launcher buttons. The retina display still "looks" better, even though it is "smaller" if ppi is still king. So much for a superior screen, how about a good one. I have a 4.52 screen, so a 4.6 is nothing new. Duel core LTE? Nothing new. In all honesty, the prime will be a dang good device, but it doesn't span a generation, or have anything revolutionary about it. NFC is years off, so pointless right now. I do think the banana style phone "IS" revolutionary and new, but for a generational jump, "the system and hardware" need to be new. I am already seeing Samsung rumored devices that make the prime look like this years news.

Mooem

Feb 18, 2011
Visit site
Personally, I don't expect the Nexus to be anything revolutionary in hardware nor do I expect ICS to be anything but an official port of Honeycomb to phones (which in of itself is a game changer in some ways). Probably the thing that has me really excited the most is that a Nexus device could finally be coming to Big Red with LTE.

I'm keeping my expectations low till we hear an official announcement. Otherwise, I could be setting myself up for disappointment if I buy into the hype.

dsignori

Jun 25, 2010
Visit site
Just a thought you guys. I have been seeing the lamentations of the iPhone fans on tech blogs when it was revealed that after all the rumors, "leaks" and case designs they have had for the last 16 months all they were getting was a spec bumped copy of last years phone and it made me wonder. Are we in danger of expecting too much from the prime. After all, it can't be too much different from other phones released recently specs wise and we have no firm idea what ICS will be like on phones.

I certainly don't want to ruin anyone's buzz or excitement and I am super stoked to see what my next phone can do I'm just wondering if we should tone down or expectations a bit.

In terms of hardware, "A Spec bumped copy of last year's phone", as you put it, is all the iPhone has really ever put out. ( except for the iPhone 4, which was physically re-designed). If you look at the iPhone 1, 3G, and 3GS, they are pretty much identical looking. It never stopped them from selling like crazy.

In general though, your overall point about expectations is a good one. IMO the expectations of smart phone consumers has gotten completely out of hand, both for iOS and Android.

Regarding the 4S, I think it's pretty funny how adding a dual-core CPU, dual-core graphics (holy!), a much better camera, 1080P video, antenna fixes, a new iOS version with proper notifications and even a hint of multi-tasking in it, a really really cool interactive voice assistant, and many other improvements is seen as a fail. I mean, exactly what else was needed (save maybe a bigger screen). If they released this same phone with a 4 inch screen, would everyone think it is "new", and therfore a success?

My point is they did seem to upgrade a lot of things, and I believe the 4S will sell like mad still. But because the tech world and consumer's expectations have gotten so ridiculously high recently, anything but the most revolutionary innovative , brand-new updates can be viewed negatively. IMO this is crazy, and a bit unreasonable.

I think it's great to shoot for the stars with what we want. But I think we have to have a bit of reason when it comes to expectations too, no?

Holsum

Apr 14, 2010
Visit site
In terms of hardware, "A Spec bumped copy of last year's phone", as you put it, is all the iPhone has really ever put out. ( except for the iPhone 4, which was physically re-designed). If you look at the iPhone 1, 3G, and 3GS, they are pretty much identical looking. It never stopped them from selling like crazy.

In general though, your overall point about expectations is a good one. IMO the expectations of smart phone consumers has gotten completely out of hand, both for iOS and Android.

Regarding the 4S, I think it's pretty funny how adding a dual-core CPU, dual-core graphics (holy!), a much better camera, 1080P video, antenna fixes, a new iOS version with proper notifications and even a hint of multi-tasking in it, a really really cool interactive voice assistant, and many other improvements is seen as a fail. I mean, exactly what else was needed (save maybe a bigger screen). If they released this same phone with a 4 inch screen, would everyone think it is "new", and therfore a success?

My point is they did seem to upgrade a lot of things, and I believe the 4S will sell like mad still. But because the tech world and consumer's expectations have gotten so ridiculously high recently, anything but the most revolutionary innovative , brand-new updates can be viewed negatively. IMO this is crazy, and a bit unreasonable.

I think it's great to shoot for the stars with what we want. But I think we have to have a bit of reason when it comes to expectations too, no?

Not to be argumentative but how can you not see it as fail? everyone i know that has an iphone, including myself when i had one, thinks the UI is complete garbage. no crap it is blazing fast because all it is are ICONS. it took apple 2 iterations of the phone to be able to COPY AND PASTE. People on the iphone end of the stick are sick of having the bar minimum given to them. apps only can entertain for so long and android is catching up on that aspect. Now they actually have to worry about being innovative again and bringing something NEW to the table that will keep customers around. no to mention people are having to wait 2 years for something to be added to their phone.

Here is a perfect example of apple's mentality. Siri, you know the voice thing that everyone was craving about that is ONLY AVAILABLE on iphone4s? Yea, the day before the convention it was available on EVERY VERSION of iphone back to 3GS. Shady right? now you cant download it anymore they took the website down and its the main selling point of iphone4s.....seriously apple? way to shaft your customers.

dsignori

Jun 25, 2010
Visit site
Not to be argumentative but how can you not see it as fail?...

It will sell 100 million. I would love for any Android phone to "fail" 1/5 as much ..

I was writing about expectations and your post is exactly what i am talking about. The iPhone is not for you clearly. It's not for me either. It's made for people who want a easy to use fluid smartphone. It has great hardware and a great ecosystem.

Holsum

Apr 14, 2010
Visit site
It will sell 100 million. I would love for any Android phone to "fail" 1/5 as much ..

I was writing about expectations and your post is exactly what i am talking about. The iPhone is not for you clearly. It's not for me either. It's made for people who want a easy to use fluid smartphone. It has great hardware and a great ecosystem.

yes single handedly 100 million but clearly you aren't looking at the big picture. android activates 300,000 devices A DAY currently. I like that I dont see a ton of others with my phone its unique.

dcgore

Sep 6, 2011
Visit site
I think at one point expectations will outmatch reality. Im not really concerned about the hardware but now because of apple's announcement, i am lowering my expectactions when it comes to ICS.

NEO_FOLLOWER2

Dec 7, 2010
Visit site
I think at one point expectations will outmatch reality. Im not really concerned about the hardware but now because of apple's announcement, i am lowering my expectactions when it comes to ICS.

apple really just needed to add some screen size to the iphone...that's all

if they would've made the screen bigger...i might've actually reconsidered getting an iphone again
i had a 3gs...then got a nexus one

and now i want a new phone...

bdfull3r

May 11, 2011
Visit site
Not to be argumentative but how can you not see it as fail? everyone i know that has an iphone, including myself when i had one, thinks the UI is complete garbage. no crap it is blazing fast because all it is are ICONS. it took apple 2 iterations of the phone to be able to COPY AND PASTE. People on the iphone end of the stick are sick of having the bar minimum given to them. apps only can entertain for so long and android is catching up on that aspect. Now they actually have to worry about being innovative again and bringing something NEW to the table that will keep customers around. no to mention people are having to wait 2 years for something to be added to their phone.

Here is a perfect example of apple's mentality. Siri, you know the voice thing that everyone was craving about that is ONLY AVAILABLE on iphone4s? Yea, the day before the convention it was available on EVERY VERSION of iphone back to 3GS. Shady right? now you cant download it anymore they took the website down and its the main selling point of iphone4s.....seriously apple? way to shaft your customers.

the 4S came across as a fail to me because it did not set a new standard. This has happened with other iPhone models but i think it was much more apparent with this model. Apple isn't jumpping up and setting the bar. They are just baring meeting it.

What the hot features on the iPhone 4S? 8MP Camera, Dual Core, and Siri. Apple has always had good cameras i will give them that but Android has had Dual Core for months with rumors of Quad Core in the next coming months. Google has had a voice system for over a year now, granted it is not as polished as Siri is but it is still there. How big of a feature is it if Apple has it already in the market and had to pull it from the AppStore so the 4SD had a feature mildly interesting.

Oct 11, 2011
Visit site
I?m planning to make a switch form iPhone to Android, ever since I discovered how much more powerful the Android phone is, as opposed to the iPhone. But I think there are a lot more iPhone apps than Android on the current market, so I can?t seem to decide. On one hand, the iPhone has a bunch of cool apps like the ?Picture Music? App, which allows me to convert any picture I take with my iPhone, into actual music and play it back on any instrument. And as a musician I love that, by the way has anyone seen or played around with this app?

I was wondering if any of the Android phone users seen anything like the Picture Music app on the Android market? That would definitely make my transition to Android a lot smoother.